doorway problem

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey326

went to look at a job where the front room needs skimming,

the architraves have been removed but the door lining is still in.

trouble is, the walls are about 12mm proud of the door lining.

what can i do? Or is it down to them to replace the door lining with a wider one?

plant some timber on to finish into. fill the timber. get them to sand it. paint. job done.

so do you mean put a strip of timber about 15mm (extra 3mm for new layer of finish) against door lining to bring it out, fill then sand?

yep. easiest option. be sure to check the door. if it opens into the room it might cause a problem. might have to move the hinges also. good luck. personally i wouldnt get involved. i would skim up and the acrhitrave would cover the carpenters work up. but is no big deal to sort out. just make sure you cover yourself in your price as its fiddly work for the un experienced. if the door doesnt open into room you should be fine. i try to stick to only plastering but times are tough so.......

Could you not put a skim stop bead around the doorway...run upto that. Then carpenter can sort the lining etc.

12mm proud is a fair amount around a doorway, but it ain't the end of the world for a good chippy. Just make sure you keep the skim as tight as you can by the edges so the 12mm doesn't turn into 20mm!

Personally I wouldn't use a stop bead just in case the edges need chipping away to accomodate the archtrave etc. Just make sure it's pretty even and hardly any skim where the architrave will sit. The architrave will cover this area anyway :)

they sell pieces of strip timber at wickses bout an inch wide to varying thickness,i plant em all the way flush with the frame ,skim up jobs a goodun!

12mm proud is a fair amount around a doorway, but it ain't the end of the world for a good chippy. Just make sure you keep the skim as tight as you can by the edges so the 12mm doesn't turn into 20mm!

Personally I wouldn't use a stop bead just in case the edges need chipping away to accomodate the archtrave etc. Just make sure it's pretty even and hardly any skim where the architrave will sit. The architrave will cover this area anyway  :)

this sounds good to me, i leave it to the chippy cause im sure he will do a better job than me.

nice1 you lot for suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.