Doing an invoice

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

rycarr

I've been waiting ages for UTR number to come through to get paid from a job they want me to do an invoice never done one before so have got a template one not sure about the tax rate for self employed is that something I show deducted on invoice with final amount showing to be paid or do they do that at their end?

The cis deduction rate is 20%. Just deduct that from your gross figure to equal your nett payment.

They should take off the deduction at their end, all you do its subtract your materials from your total cost, as you are already taxed on the materials (I think). i always set out a invoice for CIS like this... say for example you were £500 in total for the job and you were £50 for materials.
Materials £50
Labour £450

Total £500

I've been waiting ages for UTR number to come through to get paid from a job they want me to do an invoice never done one before so have got a template one not sure about the tax rate for self employed is that something I show deducted on invoice with final amount showing to be paid or do they do that at their end?
Just invoice and take the 30 percent hit,it's getting ridiculous now with utr and ni numbers taking ages

Just got my UTR was waiting for it to come though before getting paid, it was work I did with another plasterer so all materials supplied just wasn't sure whether I had to show tax deductions on my invoice so I could give a net amount to be paid or if they did it .....so my invoice should just show the gross amount before tax.

Just got my UTR was waiting for it to come though before getting paid, it was work I did with another plasterer so all materials supplied just wasn't sure whether I had to show tax deductions on my invoice so I could give a net amount to be paid or if they did it .....so my invoice should just show the gross amount before tax.
No minus 20% = nett unless they stop retention its pretty straightforward.

Your trading name at the top of the page set out like this

Xxxxxxxxxxx

INVOICE

datexxxxxxxx

REF (job address)

for plastering works works as instructed by xxxxx xxxxxxxxx

Gross £1000.00

less 20% tax £200.00

Total £800.00

. Superspread plastering

Xxxxxxxxxx
Invoice

datexxxxxxxx

REF millionaires rd se26

for plastering works works as instructed by john Fitzpatrick

Gross £10000.00

less 20% tax £20,000

Total £800,00[/QUOTE]

. Superspread plastering

Xxxxxxxxxx
Invoice

datexxxxxxxx

REF millionaires rd se26

for plastering works works as instructed by john Fitzpatrick

Gross £10000.00

less 20% tax £20,000

Total £800,00
[/QUOTE]

You use a trowel that is only 3/4 inch wide, and allow a deduction of 20k tax on a 10k job.

Your hearts not in this is it.?!

You use a trowel that is only 3/4 inch wide, and allow a deduction of 20k tax on a 10k job.

Your hearts not in this is it.?![/QUOTE]
Wondered what was going wrong...

Sample_zps09a04cba.jpg

This is without material. Materials would have to be taken off the gross amount as tax is already paid on them. Tax at 20% is taken off the labour only. Unless you want to pay a bit more tax and hopefully get a lower bill at the end of the year - or even a refund :rolleyes)

Last edited:
just send your invoice to the customer by email.

top line your name
your address,
ref, the address where the work was carried out.
itemise what work you carried out.
materials supplied [over state this]
labour costs [under state this]
total costs.

your bank details
name of bank
banks sort code
your account number
so that the customer can make payment by bacs, straight away no pissing around with cheques and clearing dates.

just make a template up in excel to invoice with it's not difficult and there are free ones to download you can use

Sample_zps09a04cba.jpg

This is without material. Materials would have to be taken off the gross amount as tax is already paid on them. Tax at 20% is taken off the labour only. Unless you want to pay a bit more tax and hopefully get a lower bill at the end of the year - or even a refund :rolleyes)

Have you got a pic of that Lisa...................Fut lads like.................:RpS_wink:

it that you or ernie.......................:RpS_confused: or are you both the same person......................:-0

One thing I do though is to convert any invoices done in Word (pc) or Pages (mac) to .pdf that way people can easily open them up (even on a smart phone).

when you issue an invoice it is important to put the date on the invoice .firms will not pay out on an undated invoice as the invoice is of no use to their accounts.

Computers aren't my strong point I made an invoice on softmaker office a free download as I don't have microsoft office it turned out alright so I emailed to myself to check and when I opened it it was all messed up and made no sense looks fine in documents so I've got free trial of microsoft office to try again don't know why that is though.

redone on microsoft office free trial went through okay is there any way of using the free software and making it viewable to them or else will just do it on email in future

Status
Not open for further replies.