Doesn’t happen to me often

Members online

In the last ten years my system of not always needing to see jobs has served me very well, yesterday was the first real situation where disaster struck, it only affects the client because it’s costing 3.5 times more. To add donzo I suspect they actually new before my arrival, they just hoped I could suggest a magical solution.
How are you meant to schedule work domestically like that. I might be there, I might be not to a customer, seriously. How are you meant to give a accurate cost to someone over the phone.
This thread just gets better. Pmsl

How are you meant to schedule work domestically like that. I might be there, I might be not to a customer, seriously. How are you meant to give a accurate cost to someone over the phone.

Proper amateur isn’t he lol

10 years??? Ive got underpants older.

That old chestnut, the magical solution being you float set it for same price as over skim quoted lol.

Read back again dimwit I gave a estimate to re-skim.

Keep trying though

Very simple a client phones me up and says I have a ceiling I need skimming, they say it’s all sound blah blah blah, I give a price based on info given.

I’ve been doing this a very long time and it’s all the same.

99% of the time my jobs run on schedule and on budget. So please tell me how that is wrong ?

Very simple a client phones me up and says I have a ceiling I need skimming, they say it’s all sound blah blah blah, I give a price based on info given.

99% of the time my jobs run on schedule and on budget. So please tell me how that is wrong ?

Because 99% of the time the customer doesn’t know what ‘all sound’ means. They want you to come look and advise and quote.

Schoolboy error this

Customer 1 says ‘walls look in good condition’

Turn up and they all blown.

Customer 2 says ceiling needed over board as another spread said so.

Turn up ceiling fine just needs skim.

This is why you go and look you lazy fook

Because your job now costs 3 times more. If you looked at it customer would know, and let you know if you can proceed or get other quotes. Turning up on the day and saying that jesus are you serious.

You are not showing customers respect with a attitude like that. Especially a 4 bedroom property, you are having a laugh.
Fair enough maybe a small job give a ball part figure.
But I would then insist work must be surveyed prior to commencing. Cost confirmed.

Customer 1 says ‘walls look in good condition’

Turn up and they all blown.

Customer 2 says ceiling needed over board as another spread said so.

Turn up ceiling fine just needs skim.

This is why you go and look you lazy fook

Again you are getting your knickers in a twist, I go and quote on most jobs, returning customers as in this case where I have built up a good relationship it’s not always necessary so I don’t.

Again I suspect here they new but just hoped I would come in and say yes that fine I can fix it.
That’s life my friend

Donzo is bang on, horrible suprrise for customer.. 3.5 x the cost.. you make more money so you’re happy though.

No wonder us spreads get a bad rep. Not cool man

Because your job now costs 3 times more. If you looked at it customer would know, and let you know if you can proceed or get other quotes. Turning up on the day and saying that jesus are you serious.

You are not showing customers respect with a attitude like that. Especially a 4 bedroom property, you are having a laugh.
Fair enough maybe a small job give a ball part figure.
But I would then insist work must be surveyed prior to commencing. Cost confirmed.

Oh dear, let me explain one last time, I have a rough estimate to skim their property for clients who I have done a lot of work for previously.
On day of arrival I realise walls are not skimmable I explain why and say look this all really needs to come off, but however if you really want me to I’ll skim it, but I can’t guarantee it’s going to last very long.
Again I suspect they new this to be the case,
As before I arrived a lot of work has already be done by builders, first fix electrics etc.

If anything they should have contacted me and said hey I think we have a problem.

Donzo is bang on, horrible suprrise for customer.. 3.5 x the cost.. you make more money so you’re happy though.

No wonder us spreads get a bad rep. Not cool man

Actually I’m not making more money, it’s the same money I would of earned anyway I’m just having to be creative now with work booked in.

Oh dear, let me explain one last time, I have a rough estimate to skim their property for clients who I have done a lot of work for previously.
On day of arrival I realise walls are not skimmable I explain why and say look this all really needs to come off, but however if you really want me to I’ll skim it, but I can’t guarantee it’s going to last very long.
Again I suspect they new this to be the case,
As before I arrived a lot of work has already be done by builders, first fix electrics etc.

If anything they should have contacted me and said hey I think we have a problem.
Lol what total b*ll***s. It is not up to customer to tell you. Look at job. Ask direct to your fan base on the forum is this how they go about treating customers like that. And I bet this post is the one they are all watching. But the silence is deafening.

Think of it like this.

You call a sparky who previously did work at your house. You want some spot lights put in. He gives you a price over phone as straight forward job and knows property.

Turns up 2 weeks later gets to work and says oh actually need a full re-wire mate as I’ve noticed something unsafe in wiring.

You’d be fooking pissed off and you know it. If he came when you rang you would have been better prepared and had time to get other quotes etc, second opinions.

Take it on the chin

Think of it like this.

You call a sparky who previously did work at your house. You want some spot lights put in. He gives you a price over phone as straight forward job and knows property.

Turns up 2 weeks later gets to work and says oh actually need a full re-wire mate as I’ve noticed something unsafe in wiring.

You’d be fooking pissed off and you know it. If he came when you rang you would have been better prepared and had time to get other quotes etc, second opinions.

Take it on the chin
I know he is on planet gps

How desperate lol

Earning more money off of this job is correct, what’s your point ?

Lol what total b*ll***s. It is not up to customer to tell you. Look at job. Ask direct to your fan base on the forum is this how they go about treating customers like that. And I bet this post is the one they are all watching. But the silence is deafening.

Really ? So they book me in to re-skim the property, then on realising plaster is blownthey leave it until the day to tell me is somehow my fault lol

Get a grip brother

This job will generate more money, but then prevents me earning elsewhere, it’s not rocket science.
Seriously you never looked at job, its not down to customer That's the problem you have no respect, imagine dropping a bombshell like that, I would have told you to be on your way.
It's guys like you that give trades a bad name.
I Mrs costing you 3 times that,,,,, but you never looked at job. So what take that.

Seriously you never looked at job, its not down to customer That's the problem you have no respect, imagine dropping a bombshell like that, I would have told you to be on your way.
I Mrs costing you 3 times that,,,,, but you never looked at job. So what take that.

He just doesn’t get it. Think he’s old though so probably never will

Incorrect, I go in blind on many jobs, so you will find I have never criticised anyone for doing the same :burlas:

i over heard my son on the phone to a customer who wanted a price over the phone. his answer was " i will give you the price when i come over to do the job".

i over heard my son on the phone to a customer who wanted a price over the phone. his answer was " i will give you the price when i come over to do the job".

Some jobs no matter what is involved will take a day to complete, if they and I are both happy with price, given I already know them or they know of me, then I really don’t see the need in wasting time. Life is short gents

And I would of happily gone on my way, it really makes no difference to me,
I think you will find my reputation actually gives the trade a good name but hey ho.

I have no respect lol, you would be hard pushed to find a more respectful tradesman working in peoples property than myself.

And I would of happily gone on my way, it really makes no difference to me,
I think you will find my reputation actually gives the trade a good name but hey ho.

I have no respect lol, you would be hard pushed to find a more respectful tradesman working in peoples property than myself.
You certainly showed it with this customer. Hey ho.

• Funny
Reactions: gps
You certainly showed it with this customer. Hey ho.

Donzo in the last twenty years how many times have you looked at a job where literally every wall in every room is just dust beneath finish ? This is my first one in that time, so with respect I had no reason to suspect this may be the case, now however this client had become aware of blown plaster when steaming the wallpaper off, just didn’t inform me. But that’s my fault lol

Was it a swallie of Buckie for Lunch today ?

Donzo in the last twenty years how many times have you looked at a job where literally every wall in every room is just dust beneath finish ? This is my first one in that time, so with respect I had no reason to suspect this may be the case, now however this client had become aware of blown plaster when steaming the wallpaper off, just didn’t inform me. But that’s my fault lol

Was it a swallie of Buckie for Lunch today ?
It is irrelevant that the plaster is blown.
You did not look at job at all.
It's a 4 bedroom property not a just a ceiling job.
You just don't get it or you are at wind up,,,, you look stupid in this post.
Look who honestly agrees that it's common practice not to look at a job of this size. You could have looked beforehand, told customer then what's what,
By the way I always look, and especially if wall coverings are coming of solid walls.

Ignore these Muppets @gps...

Honestly 90% on here don't know there arse from there elbow.

As he said it's a repeat customer where his trust and reputation has already been earnt.

He advised an E.S.T.I.M.A.T.E based on information provided with a view to confirming on commence of works.

Wow big deal it has changed thus he has provided a quote for work now required.

Customer either accepts or they don't.

Personally the customer should have had the decency to notify it's all gone to tits as they can't possibly have not noticed.

Yes with hindsight calling in prior to work commencing would have been better but not always possible some of us have a life outside of plastering on our evenings weekends eff.