Dodgy plaster

Members online

GlennJGeorge

Hi chaps, old user re-registered for some advice.
Has anyone else been having loads of trouble with BG multifinish going off super quick lately? Did a ceiling today, Plenty of Pva in the normal way, spread on the first coat, went back to smooth it off and it was almost dry!!. Tried to rescue it with some water and a wet trowel with not much luck. Thought I’d hit it with a wetter than normal second coat and it did exactly the same thing again. Had it on a job last week but thought I must have done something wrong. I’m a multi trade rather than a full time plasterer but have been spreading successfully for years without these kind of problems.
Any help/advice much appreciated

It depends on the background, if you pva and you can pretty much feel pva few min after applying it, then you definitely need another coat and best to get it on when tacky, but as someone mentioned above, worth keeping a sponge float in your toolbox just in case. Works magic.

It depends on the background, if you pva and you can pretty much feel pva few min after applying it, then you definitely need another coat and best to get it on when tacky, but as someone mentioned above, worth keeping a sponge float in your toolbox just in case. Works magic.
Its called not having a clue,if you put a coat of pva on and it pulls in after a few mins..you just know what to do

Yeah I forgot to mention that I have completed courses in plastering and have plastered thousands of square metres. I pride myself on being able to plaster to a usually very high standard whilst also being able to do bespoke joinery and be able to tile and kitchen fit. Actually I’m qualified in most of the above so strictly speaking master of most. I was more concerned that it was a dodgy batch of plaster but obviously it’s because I don’t know what I’m doing or how to control it. I PVA’d twice as usual, once till dry second to tacky. The plaster went off in less than 15 mins. Dates were okay too. I use water bottles and brushes but I might look in to a sponge float.
thanks (to the more positive posts)

Yeah I forgot to mention that I have completed courses in plastering and have plastered thousands of square metres. I pride myself on being able to plaster to a usually very high standard whilst also being able to do bespoke joinery and be able to tile and kitchen fit. Actually I’m qualified in most of the above so strictly speaking master of most. I was more concerned that it was a dodgy batch of plaster but obviously it’s because I don’t know what I’m doing or how to control it. I PVA’d twice as usual, once till dry second to tacky. The plaster went off in less than 15 mins. Dates were okay too. I use water bottles and brushes but I might look in to a sponge float.
It must have been a dodgy batch of plaster considering your an expert in many areas.

I’m a master of none too and s**t happens sometimes. On the rare occasion I don’t think I can rescue it to a decent standard, then I stop thinking about finishing it and make sure I’ve flattened down and got rid of any big lines and curse to myself as I quickly knock up another coat and get that on. If Ive been Billy big bollox and tried to put too many walls on, then it may mean deciding which one to sacrifice and finish in the next set. Again I’ll curse and call myself a c**t, but it’s only a wall and you’ve got to push yourself sometimes.
Sponge float good to have as others mentioned, but it’s not a miracle cure and you only have a certain window to use it in if it’s really going wrong.

So your a course plasterer? Il guarantee your work isn't that much and id rip it to bits if I looked at it,your basically a part time spread,stick to the other stuff.in all my life ive never had that issue with multi or board and even if it did start to flash set id know what to do to leave it fine.pack the trowel in mate and stick to bespoke joinery

I’d say swap to thistle gyprime mate instead of pva , then see if you have the same problems , dilute 4-1

Wish I was as clever as you.

So your a course plasterer? Il guarantee your work isn't that much and id rip it to bits if I looked at it,your basically a part time spread,stick to the other stuff.in all my life ive never had that issue with multi or board and even if it did start to flash set id know what to do to leave it fine.pack the trowel in mate and stick to bespoke joinery
Casper is time served you know.

I think I know what your problem is:

you're not supposed to use Multi on chipboard.