Do you lads actually like grafting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mates in his 50's and has to be careful after having two major operations (snuffed it during one) and I'm fast approaching 40 with aches and pains.
Nothing like a good days work though, can't stand being sat at home - bored shtless when works tight.

so that brekkie cost yo a few bob then:RpS_scared:

you mean knowing youv got some good ££££££££££££ coming in, im glad to get home and couldnt give a toss how much ive put on:RpS_wink::RpS_lol:

Take it your a steady eddie , wouldn't have you on my team !

i can hack it with the best (or i use to be able to, elbows an all) but sod knocking ya sen out

maybe the guy has a few personal problems at home and dont know how to go about talking about it , may he dont like working like a coont for daywork money , who knows , maybe we will never know because someone never bothered to listen

Idont mind really there are a lot worse jobs I know of 3 sparks who f...g hate doing that so where does that leave us we all moan but i bet half would miss doin it

personally had enough, now 52 plastering/in building trade since i was 16

I,m 55 and been doing since 15 in 1972. Tennis elbow, stress and generally slowed down. My work is private only and I charge for 4 of us but the other 3 do it while I watch and dictate. Moan like hell always have and wish I could get back on the tools and do it all myself like I used to.

Me and my ten a penny could do in a day what takes my other two all day to do. Done right with no complaints on time and on budget. I would be on £1200 a week if I could go back to my former glory and although I would do a full 8 hrs it would be well paced out and self disciplined.

Moaned like hell and hated the job whilst doing it but always proud of what I had done when it was finished. After 40 years I still look at every job I have done if I am driving past. My oldest rendered wall goes back to 1973 and it is still there mixed by hand by a 64 year old who could mix the whole gables gobbo in one go with a shovel faster than a belle mixer could.

Plastering, well I don,t want reminding, it did my head in. Went to sign on in the early 90's and had to sit next to a pier i browned and skimmed. Blebs was still showing. it was done in january, freezing and skimming would,t go off. 6 months on that hell hole as a 19-20 year old.

But it is a trade we should be proud of doing. Highly skilled but plasterers are very under rated, under paid over an average 12 months bearing in mind no work in winter and it makes you old before your time. How anyone can expect to reach 66 in this game I don't know. Although I was trained by a bloke who retired at 65 when I was 17. He had done day work all his life. Albert bailey rip. Had his mate keel over over on me at 47, brown bread and I was 17 and the following year the foreman had a heart attack at 63.

Good luck to you all lads, hope you do well and reach retirement.

Rigs know what your saying mate but its the same in all the building game surely i maintain if ya look after your body it will look after you an keep positive in my eyes its a mental thing its the same as any other job

Rigs know what your saying mate but its the same in all the building game surely i maintain if ya look after your body it will look after you an keep positive in my eyes its a mental thing its the same as any other job

Keeping positive can work wonders. But I am a negative person. Sad but true and wish it was the other way around. I can get on my own nerves at times.

I always think positive mate I dont let anyone tell me what's what I dont suffer fools anymore hate working round cock heads

Positive in the physical side of the job. More positive than anyone around me, but negative regarding other people. Peoples negativity towards the job gets on my nerves but over the years i find being negative is more on their wavelength than mine and I don,t get on their nerves as much. it,s all an act.

I find people only need to do enough and know just enough to keep their jobs. Any responsibility they leave it to me and as ignorance rules the day I voluntary take on whats hard, difficult and risky as it if was left to others it either would not get done or left a b*ll***s. What is important to them is beer and fags.

Nice one Rigsby, i'am 53 and ****** really too tennis elbow ( left F arm ),and arthritic knee (right knee ) i can still make good money ,but it gets harder as you get older,and everyone around you seems to be getting younger and on a different wave -length ,i will carrie on as long as i can then die i expect ! F world !! lol

I love a good days graft when it all looks good at the end. Just got a render on the other day and it starts to rain and just doesn't stop for hours. Started at nine finished at half four without a break, soaking wet but a fecking great smile across my face because the job looked good, well IMO anyway.
Even get a kick out of a good days screeding.
You need help mate i fcuking hate plastering **** trade surrounded by bosy ***** **** prices and idiot site agents

I,m 55 and been doing since 15 in 1972. Tennis elbow, stress and generally slowed down. My work is private only and I charge for 4 of us but the other 3 do it while I watch and dictate. Moan like hell always have and wish I could get back on the tools and do it all myself like I used to.

Me and my ten a penny could do in a day what takes my other two all day to do. Done right with no complaints on time and on budget. I would be on £1200 a week if I could go back to my former glory and although I would do a full 8 hrs it would be well paced out and self disciplined.
Moaned like hell and hated the job whilst doing it but always proud of what I had done when it was finished. After 40 years I still look at every job I have done if I am driving past. My oldest rendered wall goes back to 1973 and it is still there mixed by hand by a 64 year old who could mix the whole gables gobbo in one go with a shovel faster than a belle mixer could.

Plastering, well I don,t want reminding, it did my head in. Went to sign on in the early 90's and had to sit next to a pier i browned and skimmed. Blebs was still showing. it was done in january, freezing and skimming would,t go off. 6 months on that hell hole as a 19-20 year old.

But it is a trade we should be proud of doing. Highly skilled but plasterers are very under rated, under paid over an average 12 months bearing in mind no work in winter and it makes you old before your time. How anyone can expect to reach 66 in this game I don't know. Although I was trained by a bloke who retired at 65 when I was 17. He had done day work all his life. Albert bailey rip. Had his mate keel over over on me at 47, brown bread and I was 17 and the following year the foreman had a heart attack at 63.

Good luck to you all lads, hope you do well and reach retirement.

very well said rigsby very well said, i could not have put it better, and plasterers our age could come up with similair charachters and tales , well put all the best hector

I just think the trade has been destroyed by bad prices dot and dab everywhere i starting a job Monday 2.25 m2 skimming they stop 10 percent retention and 1 percent admin fee to do your money the big flats are worth 740 and they are big gonna be hard to do one in two days in this weather

Try it preferably in a room with no windows lol good for a cheeky third set when it's cold

I just think the trade has been destroyed by bad prices dot and dab everywhere i starting a job Monday 2.25 m2 skimming they stop 10 percent retention and 1 percent admin fee to do your money the big flats are worth 740 and they are big gonna be hard to do one in two days in this weather
350 quid a day is arite money gibbso

I've wanted to get out of the job for years but its so difficult to escape. Good money, working for yourself, having to re train and being on **** money again. Tried going back to college to do a HNC in construction. Couldn't keep it up with missing classes because of too much work on. Trapped!

The only upside there is 300 apartments so should get the retention back once they been mist coated

I'm only 27 and been doin it since 16 I don't mind the job. Doin 6 days a week most of the year. Think my right wrist aches less now then when I was 15 and jackin off all the time and I earn more money now aswell. I'm finding it hard to see the bad side

Status
Not open for further replies.