Do any of you guys turn your hand to other things?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselpower

As it say's on the tin, do any of you guys do other things like brickwork, stonework,slating, tiling,timberframe erection, etc etc?
or is it just plastering(not skimmin, that doesn't count)you mainly stick to? Just wondering as in this current climate (which we haven't noticed so much here) you have to maximise your abilities..

I went to night school in the 90s to do NVQ carpentry, so will hang doors, build studwork, fit windows, 2nd fix etc., if asked. I don't push it though. Done a lot of ceramic tiling and decorating over the years too.

dieselpower said:
Much timberframing goin on down south?

And does anyone live near standlake??

It's quite popular in Cornwall. Then again, Frame is based down here.

My main trade is plastering but in the past I've worked for quite a few building firms doing their plastering & when the plastering went a bit slack they asked if I could other things inbetween the plastering jobs, so I did alongside general builders & learnt loads over the last 17years.
But out of every trade I would still pick plastering ;D

I worked for one firm for 5years & you'd have loads of plastering work to go at then it'd come to a stand still so you had to muck in getting other jobs ready for the plastering stage, like floors, studwalls etc.

Along the way I have also done wall & floor tiling, laminate & real wood floors, skirtings architraves etc.. have put staircases in in the past, remove & replace joists in old cottages then lay floorboards & stud Walls before boarding & skim inside render outside, also done some 1st fix roof work & bit of slating & tiling roofs, lay concrete floors, done bits of brick & blockwork, can do bits of plumbing only basic stuff really, little bits of electrics, painting & decorating, fencing, decking.

Each to their own I suppose.
these days all I'm doing is plastering on insurance work & also my own work
But give me sum s hit to spread & I'm happy ;D

i do pretty much everything apart from electrics and Gas.Painting decortion wall papering to high standards as well as woodflooring tiling fitting kitchens bathrooms carpentry work plumbing fencing slabbing blockpaving,i build summer houses turf lawns,lead work,small brick work etc most things really.

I worked for a small builder for 5 years and he pretty much had me doing every thing which gives you a bit of insight to what every other trades got a put up with but i wanted to do just plastering so i went down this avenue.

i also have an nvq as a paintsprayer i used to work in motor insurance repair panel shops and one or two main dealers bfore i hit the trowel. a couple a fellers i know chuck me the day here an there if they need a drag out. 2bhonest i was considering doing a few months solid until the render picks up in march maybe

I do most things i converted lofts from drawings to completion for a few years and i also do portraits but dont really have the patients, ive got 4 to finish for xmas but probably only do one coz i was asked last minute for 3 others.

Hello,

Luckily for me when worked started slowing down I still did not lose my income and my bills are all guarunteed with what I made online so that was handy!

Its all about multiple streams of income guys when one screws up you dont lose everything.... I love plastering I enjoy it but still exchanging time for money is not the best way to make money, theres only 24 hours in a day so teh maximum you can earn is 24x your hourly rate.

Sorry little off topic

Back on subject again, I would turn my hand to anything as long as I could find someone to do it for me. If I could not render a round colomn I would find someone that could.. still my company name, I would also upsell the decorating tiling the lot and even organise commercial cleaners to come in if teh property was in a mess from all teh other trades.

Good luck for the new year

Danny

dieselpower said:
As it say's on the tin, do any of you guys do other things like brickwork, stonework,slating, tiling,timberframe erection, etc etc?
or is it just plastering(not skimmin, that doesn't count)you mainly stick to? Just wondering as in this current climate (which we haven't noticed so much here) you have to maximise your abilities..

yes i turn my hand to other things but if i told you what I'd have to kill you after

Done several extensions,loft conversions and am currently doing a garage conversion, plasterer to trade and thats my mane job but have an HNC in construction management and do free lance clerk of works when it comes in, nearing 40 so i think this is my new calling

Time served Toolmaker so do all sorts. Made a few woodburners before now, got one roaring in my lounge as we speak.... Used to work on all sorts of machines making anything that anyone wanted. Earn my living now just plastering though, got P'd off with the same old shite redundancies every year. Love my work now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.