Desperate for render help

Members online

gemma.r

Hi Everyone,

Would any experts be able to give their opinions/advice on these pics of the render on my house?

It has only been up for around 1 year but there are large cracks on one side, and small cracks now appearing on another side.

When I tap it, it sounds hollow underneath. Other areas sound solid.

I'm worried because I have only just bought the housed but have already lost my job due to the pandemic. So I don't know how urgent this is to fix, or how expensive it will be.

Could it be fixed or would it all have to come down?

Thanks to anyone who can offer help here,
Gemma

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 16.41.26.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 16.41.26.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 240
  • Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 16.41.39.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 16.41.39.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 242
The technical term is it's f**k*d, that's if it sounds hollow - it's blown an lost its key.

1 year? Speak to them that did it.

No get out or quick fix - off it comes and go again.

Yes another one lost their job for a cold
Leavimg no end of stress & worry making you
Poorly
do not stress over the render it is a redo to be done eventually get on your feet
& get a pro look @ it

The technical term is it's f**k*d, that's if it sounds hollow - it's blown an lost its key.

1 year? Speak to them that did it.

No get out or quick fix - off it comes and go again.

Thank you so much Bobski.

Yes 1 year - not very good eh! I don't think I am going to get any help from the person that did it; the neighbours have told me the previous owner did it all the renovation work himself with his own building company before selling on; so I'm not holding my breath for any guarantees of workmanship.

Would you say it is an urgent job? It's currently bucketing it down with rain and I can't stop looking at it :(

Thank you again,
G

Yes another one lost their job for a cold
Leavimg no end of stress & worry making you
Poorly
do not stress over the render it is a redo to be done eventually get on your feet
& get a pro look @ it

Thanks so much Dollar. Yes I know, it's very stressful. Have only just bought the house (which for 60 years was actually my Nan's house) and already I might lose it.

Will definitely get a pro to look at it; just worried about the cost. From what I've seen via google, rendering looks terribly expensive. Even to have it removed looks like it will cost more than I have.

I'm assuming it's a very bad idea to try and remove it myself?

Thank you,
G

Thanks so much Dollar. Yes I know, it's very stressful. Have only just bought the house (which for 60 years was actually my Nan's house) and already I might lose it.

Will definitely get a pro to look at it; just worried about the cost. From what I've seen via google, rendering looks terribly expensive. Even to have it removed looks like it will cost more than I have.

I'm assuming it's a very bad idea to try and remove it myself?

Thank you,
G
It's not a skilled job to remove it but it can be hard graft. Sounds like you really can't afford to get it rendered by a decent company tbh so I don't know what to suggest as unfortunately going cheap with rendering is a big no no

It's not a skilled job to remove it but it can be hard graft. Sounds like you really can't afford to get it rendered by a decent company tbh so I don't know what to suggest as unfortunately going cheap with rendering is a big no no
Hi Nath,

No I definitely can't afford to get it done by a decent company, probably not even a rubbish company either!

The best I can hope for is to have it removed. If it is urgent, I might just attempt it myself.

I'm worried about what's underneath it now too, as I've read that bad render can affect the walls and such.

Best,
Gemma

Get yourself another job before you think about having render sorted don’t worry you’re house wont fall down!

Thank you so much Bobski.

Yes 1 year - not very good eh! I don't think I am going to get any help from the person that did it; the neighbours have told me the previous owner did it all the renovation work himself with his own building company before selling on; so I'm not holding my breath for any guarantees of workmanship.

Would you say it is an urgent job? It's currently bucketing it down with rain and I can't stop looking at it :(

Thank you again,
G

Don't touch it

Wait till you're back on track and have got the dough and then start to think about getting someone in.

Doubt it'll go anywhere for a while although it doesn't look the best. If it was proper falling off and unsafe then maybe....

Hi Everyone,

Would any experts be able to give their opinions/advice on these pics of the render on my house?

It has only been up for around 1 year but there are large cracks on one side, and small cracks now appearing on another side.

When I tap it, it sounds hollow underneath. Other areas sound solid.

I'm worried because I have only just bought the housed but have already lost my job due to the pandemic. So I don't know how urgent this is to fix, or how expensive it will be.

Could it be fixed or would it all have to come down?

Thanks to anyone who can offer help here,
Gemma
Is this place in Derby town centre by any chance ?

Hi Nath,

No I definitely can't afford to get it done by a decent company, probably not even a rubbish company either!

The best I can hope for is to have it removed. If it is urgent, I might just attempt it myself.

I'm worried about what's underneath it now too, as I've read that bad render can affect the walls and such.

Best,
Gemma
Whatever you do, don't take it off if you have no intention of replacing it!

Sorry to hear you lost your job Gemma. What a shitter :( Take heart, it’ll all come right and seem like a bad dream in a few short years!

As above I’d leave it, if safe, until you’re ready to re do it. You don’t know the state of the bricks underneath and you don’t want to potentially give yourself more problems that need immediate attention and cost.

All the best to you

As Jess above, at 60 years old I'll speculate that its brickwork not blockwork underneath, and might be lime cement mortar, as opposed to sand cement, which might be a factor in minor house movement and/or the render bonding. It's not urgent, leave it be until your're working and solvent. People leave houses for years in a worse state than that.
In the meantime; did you get a house survey, even a basic one? Given that this is only a year since, it might have not been apparent at the time. but check anyway, did it mention this and have any comments?
Maybe your house building insurance might chip in as well, bit iffy but worth a check.
Get hold of the seller, find out what he used, including the paint. If he did do it using his own company or another firm you might be able to claim off their insurance - you might need a bit of detective work to find this out, as he might not be keen to let you know. Maybe your own insurance co might do it as they have means and like to recharge/avoid claims.