Decorative Plaster

Members online

Wayne Kahn

Hello we live in a 125 year old house built by plaster artisan brothers.
Finally tackling a restoration of the crown moulding. Incredible relief work totally filled in with paint over time. 355 of the flower and 65 ft of rope.
I'm using multiple applications of Peel Away 6 and dental tools to expose the original. Any other suggestions?
What is best for final cleaning after the scraping.
Also see areas of an original dark paint at the plaster surface that peel away doesn't break down. What is it?

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_122752326.jpg
    IMG_20200731_122752326.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20200731_122732361.jpg
    IMG_20200731_122732361.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 173
Finally tackling a restoration of the crown moulding. Incredible relief work totally filled in with paint over time. 355 of the flower and 65 ft of rope.
I'm using multiple applications of Peel Away 6 and dental tools to expose the original. Any other suggestions?
Also see areas of an original dark paint at the plaster surface that peel away doesn't break down. What is it?
@The Hobo may be able to help.

black stains could be a shellac sealer coat put on before paint /patience is the only way to clean it but a small air gun with a tight nozzle good for blowing off loose stuff off behind any undercut relief work /if you need any spare parts making pm me

Ffs that’s gonna take some man hours with my patience it be on the deck after first day of trying! Get angle grinder out :ROFLMAO:

black stains could be a shellac sealer coat put on before paint /patience is the only way to clean it but a small air gun with a tight nozzle good for blowing off loose stuff off behind any undercut relief work /if you need any spare parts making pm me
That shellac sealer is probably what we see on a vaulted plaster archway at our entrance never been painted over. It appears as faux wood. Now I see the streaks in the plaster of the moulding that could create that effect if painted. Is that the technique? The Murray Brothers supposedly did all the plaster work on the theatres in downtown DC

That shellac sealer is probably what we see on a vaulted plaster archway at our entrance never been painted over. It appears as faux wood. Now I see the streaks in the plaster of the moulding that could create that effect if painted. Is that the technique? The Murray Brothers supposedly did all the plaster work on the theatres in downtown DC
where are u USA

A steamer would soften the paint to help pick it away, then a product called "groomstick".
failing that pull it down and stick some coving up.

Did parts mean replacement plaster?
Is there a name for this particular flower pattern?

No coving no way.
Restored too much of the woodwork in this house to walk away from the plaster
ignore @tapit ive wiped better stuff off the bottom of my shoes/spare parts I spoke of meant the ornate leaves they will be made in short lengths say 12-14 inch in length cant put a name to what u got probably what is known as an artificial leaf

ignore @tapit ive wiped better stuff off the bottom of my shoes/spare parts I spoke of meant the ornate leaves they will be made in short lengths say 12-14 inch in length cant put a name to what u got probably what is known as an artificial leaf
Artificial leaf my arse, are you pissed again you auld dodderer.
you couldn't patch up the artex you daft sod.

I am trying to keep myself from being too aggressive with it. Looking for what works best in what areas. In some of the pockets it's seems they actually filled it in for painting. It's possible it's all paint but some of the scrape out gets a sandy consistancy

I am trying to keep myself from being too aggressive with it. Looking for what works best in what areas. In some of the pockets it's seems they actually filled it in for painting. It's possible it's all paint but some of the scrape out gets a sandy consistancy
You ever worked with infra red?