Dazed and confused

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkman

Hi all, I have just spent the last day or so trying to learn some basics about plastering. Am now possibly more confused than before I started.

Might be interesting for you to be reminded (by the stupid questions I am going to ask) about how little the general public knows about plastering!

Hmmmm. Was not aware of the DC Comics character until just now - perhaps I could have chosen a better name!

Handboard?

Might that be a board that sits on the hand?

popcorn.gif

Hi all, I have just spent the last day or so trying to learn some basics about plastering. Am now possibly more confused than before I started.

Might be interesting for you to be reminded (by the stupid questions I am going to ask) about how little the general public knows about plastering!

More importantly hawk wind & Fire.............how much do you know about plastering.........:RpS_confused:

Sadly I can't see how to change my username except by starting again from scratch.

I have no practical experience of plastering and limited DIY experience. I have inherited my dad`s house and am hiring in tradesmen to renovate it (rather than hiring a builder to oversee it) for rental.

I would very much appreciate your advice on two aspects: 1) how to prepare bathroom walls to be fully tiled (I will be putting an electric shower at one end of the bath)(I have stripped the old tiles and in some cases the old plaster has all or partially fallen off/blown); and 2) how to prepare a room for decorating that has old wall paper and some damage (by the electricians: removing wall lights; removing ceiling roses; damage to cheap coving; chasing etc). Thanks in advance for your input.

Sadly I can't see how to change my username except by starting again from scratch.

I have no practical experience of plastering and limited DIY experience. I have inherited my dad`s house and am hiring in tradesmen to renovate it (rather than hiring a builder to oversee it) for rental.

I would very much appreciate your advice on two aspects: 1) how to prepare bathroom walls to be fully tiled (I will be putting an electric shower at one end of the bath)(I have stripped the old tiles and in some cases the old plaster has all or partially fallen off/blown); and 2) how to prepare a room for decorating that has old wall paper and some damage (by the electricians: removing wall lights; removing ceiling roses; damage to cheap coving; chasing etc). Thanks in advance for your input.
Mate start again with a new name ,these northern guys just don,t let it go ,i,m from Kent but they wore me down ,it,s a handddddd....HAWK :RpS_thumbsup:

nearly there keithuk almost had it, try again say it slowly handboard, a hawk is one of those feathery things that fly about, where as a handboard is a board for holding plaster which you hold in your hand known by its latin version as handusboardus and the english version handboard, keep trying keith one day it will come to you , then people on site will stop work lay down there tools and point at you with respect and awe, whispering to each other thats keith heard him call his hawwwwk a handboard , no more calls to the smaritans,no more attending the care in the community programme, all you have to do is call it a handboard and you will be a changed man, we should really start a missionary programme down south, visit sites and help our fellow spreads to change there ways, hold meetings in conference rooms ,slowly but surely attitudes will change and it will be known as a handboard, all the best hector

nearly there keithuk almost had it, try again say it slowly handboard, a hawk is one of those feathery things that fly about, where as a handboard is a board for holding plaster which you hold in your hand known by its latin version as handusboardus and the english version handboard, keep trying keith one day it will come to you , then people on site will stop work lay down there tools and point at you with respect and awe, whispering to each other thats keith heard him call his hawwwwk a handboard , no more calls to the smaritans,no more attending the care in the community programme, all you have to do is call it a handboard and you will be a changed man, we should really start a missionary programme down south, visit sites and help our fellow spreads to change there ways, hold meetings in conference rooms ,slowly but surely attitudes will change and it will be known as a handboard, all the best hector
I doo beleaveeeeeeee ,thank you Hector ...not

I doo beleaveeeeeeee ,thank you Hector ...not
glad you believe keith, just think of me tomorrow when you hold your hand board and say to yourself hectors right it is a handboard, remember big day tomorrow handboard handboard handboard, al the best hector

:RpS_thumbsup:......:flapper: still a hawk
ha ha brilliant keith funny guys you southern lot , but deep down you now accept the name handboard , i can just see you tomorrow gazing out into the sky , wishing and hoping that you can get the lottery up so you can move north so you can call it a handboard. all the best, completely forgot what this thread was all about now ,its bubbles fault all this all the best bubbles

So if I am a southerner it's a hawk and if I'm a northerner it's a handboard? What if I'm Welsh?

Yes, I will be getting a few quotes and will take the opportunity to ask for advice. However I will need to make a decision on what basis people should provide their quotes - tricky if people suggest different options. So I would like to get some expert opinions on the options and pros and cons. This will also make it easier for me to discuss it meaningfully with the guys I meet.

Eg in a bathroom I could just get the walls repaired (including skimming?) and then tile (ie back to how it was before I took off the tiles). But how should I deal with the bath area with shower at one end? Do I tank the plaster in that area, or should I use some type of waterproof board, or should the whole bathroom be redone in sand and cement? At the moment I am fairly clueless as to the technical merits and price implications. The bathroom measures about 2.3m x1.7

You can use anything in a bathroom as long as its tiled in wet areas leave it up to the plasterer, in answer to what a welsh person is they are a ****

So tanking or using aquaboard or similar is a waste of time and money?

Just repair where blown, then skim and tile?

Last couple of jobs we've done that have had bathrooms have specced WR plasterboard on stud and S&C on brickwork.

Just been reading up on tiling. Apparently waterproof grout just means that it it can withstand water, not that it won't let water through. So for a bathroom wet area, tilers recommend tanking or tiling onto a waterproof backing board.

Also, I can't work out why some people say that you need to tile onto skim, not undercoat. Is it that undercoat is not smooth enough for tiling? Or that you destroy the undercoat if you want to retile later? Or some other reason?

I would think undercoat was stronger than skim?

Status
Not open for further replies.