Day rates from other trades

Members online

Not talking about and being transparent about rates, and prices hurts the trade.

I dont think it does.... price is dependant on location and situation so talking about pricing a job at £10m2 in the north where in the south they will easily pay £18m2 the client in the south reads the northern rates and thinks he is being ripped off...

In private sections of the forum rates will be discussed but this is away from the prying eyes of the public

I dont think it does.... price is dependant on location and situation so talking about pricing a job at £10m2 in the north where in the south they will easily pay £18m2 the client in the south reads the northern rates and thinks he is being ripped off...

In private sections of the forum rates will be discussed but this is away from the prying eyes of the public

prices down south aint much different to the north now.
but the cost of living in the south is madness.

TBH anyone who bases anything on "I read it on the internet" is heading for trouble.

It's been posted many times before, but worth repeating.

Length of time for job :- How long you think it will take YOU to do it.
Price for job :- (Wage you pay yourself x time to do work) + (overheads* cost x time to do work) + materials + profit for company.

*Overheads include everything that's involved in doing the work. Tools, insurances, memberships, storage, office costs, clothing, vehicle running costs, transporting goods, taxes, accountant cost etc etc.

All of which means it will be different between companies/sole traders. Some of those differences will be regional, some will be because of the work types you do, and some will vary based on how you choose to run your business.

I fell into the same trap early on that most seem to, but unlike a lot I corrected it. It's essential that you realise that if you're self employed you're running a company, not just a bloke earning a wage.