Dashing Advice Needed.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post on here folks so be gentle please :RpS_unsure:

A bit about me first, i did my time back in 86 - 90 and then spent 10 years subbing, doing all kinds of finishes, to a high standard, for several reasons i quit and got a decently paid factory job and have been there ever since, although i have always kept my hand in, once having my own business out of work. But i'm brand new to the new products (to me), K-Rend etc….

I'm about to redo the back of my house, house is 100 years old made of brick, i'm hacking old stuff off, new windows and doors, and was going to fine it down using the good ole sand and cement, 2 scratch coats with Sovereign in and finish coat. Until chatting to a mate, who is still in the job, and he mentioned dash receiver, waterproof and lovely to use with some nice finishes. I looked it up and i quite like the idea.

So this is what i planned, Hack off, scratch coat with s/c, K-rend Base coat, K-Rend Buttercoat.

Is this completely wrong and should i stick to plan A? I've read a lot of posts on here tonight mentioning mesh and all sorts, does this apply to me?

Hi Richard1970 , it comes down to personal taste mate , also how much you want to spend maybe , i cant see what harm it would do using s&c or the k rend stuff in this instance btw you can put mesh in s& c :RpS_thumbup: so imo its down to looks, i like a 10mm pea shingle , i think some stone and spars looks a bit cheap, so its up to you really , all i would say is rule the scratch and dont use beads on the angles do them free hand with a straight edge , all the best .

If your using k rend dash receiver theres a few things you need to watch out for. Mix it very watery and make sure the scratch has had a good soaking, when its on get the stones onto asap as it tends to skin up very quickly and your stones will bounce off. Always keep a wet edge as its hard to blend in.

Thanks for the replies lads, i don't really like the sound of this K-rend the more i hear, especially as i keep hearing of it skinning up very quickly, cracking, discolouring etc….is there a better alternative to it? I'm very much leaning back towards fining it down now, stick to what i know and all that...

basically it depends on how much damage you do to to the brickwork hacking of , soft red brick tends to be ok , chances are you have lime muck joints , so i would rake out joints wash off brickwork and use a stabilzer before the 1st coat , scratch with 5-1 with sovereign as a waterproofer , leave it for a week and give it a light drink before dashing with 6-1-1 top coat , make sure your new widows and doors have trickle vents , jobs a gud un :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.