Dark days

Members online

carys

ok lads I was skimming the other day and it was a dark day I just thought to my self a good head lamp be a good idea. Does anybody use a head lamp when skimming and if so recommend a good one on the market whith out been to pricey

Not heard of anyone using a head torch before

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
No lol but some times when your in a dark spot your lamp not to hand and your having a bad day it be handy if u had head lamp just a thought lol I hate fuking dark days and we got four months coming up

Just get a light not attached to your head ?
I have got lamps it be handy to get a good head light when doing a litle 30 minute job save u taking your lamps and fuking transformer out of the van. So many head light on the market don't now wich one to get lol

I think it's a fair question Carys. I used a headlamp for ceilings, cheapo one that you could tilt angle and is great for getting an angled light. Forgotten about them really, but gonna look into it again and see if I can find a decent one and report back.

I think it's a fair question Carys. I used a headlamp for ceilings, cheapo one that you could tilt angle and is great for getting an angled light. Forgotten about them really, but gonna look into it again and see if I can find a decent one and report back.
Thanks m8 I'm glad some one thinks I'm not going crazy lol it be handy I'm not going to have it on all the time or people are going to think I'm a fuking miner just be handy sometimes

Thanks m8 I'm glad some one thinks I'm not going crazy lol it be handy I'm not going to have it on all the time or people are going to think I'm a fuking miner just be handy sometimes
Yes it is handy, two hands free when packing up in the evenings. But I'm interested in finding a headlight that provides a really good light as you're working on a ceiling. I'm always having to hook a light as high as poss on a wall to get a good spread of light then hook it off to do hold it in the corners (tripod too cumbersome on domestics) A light on the noggle would be good walking round on the stilts too. Some on here don't like someone trying something new. I personally enjoy highlighting the Luddite. Carry on sir.

On the subject of lighting... I'm on a site at the moment probably about 20 blokes on the job, should the main contractor be lighting up communal areas and stairwells?

I recently picked up a Nitecore HC60.

http://www.heinnie.com/nitecore-hc60-headlamp-cool

Come with a rechargeable battery and USB charger.
Walking the dog up the cut the other night lit up the towpath like Colin McRae's Subaru through a Welsh forest stage.
1000 lumens would just be too much for close work, but on one of the lower settings would be just perfect.
Machined out of alloy and waterproof, the Nitecore blows away my Petzl Myo in quality, performance & price.
Really nice even spread of light too and not like a spot light.
Serious bit of kit that would light up an entire room just sat on a window sill should you get caught out on a dull Dec afternoon.

Yes it is handy, two hands free when packing up in the evenings. But I'm interested in finding a headlight that provides a really good light as you're working on a ceiling. I'm always having to hook a light as high as poss on a wall to get a good spread of light then hook it off to do hold it in the corners (tripod too cumbersome on domestics) A light on the noggle would be good walking round on the stilts too. Some on here don't like someone trying something new. I personally enjoy highlighting the Luddite. Carry on sir.
Your rhight ther m8 I'm full of new ideas .But I can't think of a idea that can make money whithout getting my hands dirty lol.yes u do get some on here that don't like some one whith ideas . I had a nother idea last week that coming up next thread lol

On the subject of lighting... I'm on a site at the moment probably about 20 blokes on the job, should the main contractor be lighting up communal areas and stairwells?

Yes, and it should be detailed on the risk assessment and method statements which you (and everyone working or visiting) should have access to.

If not, then HSE can shut the site down, and in the event of an accident it's a fine or jail time for the main contractor and/or their designated representative on site.

Worked on a site in the 80's, and there was a Red I****n plasterer, skimming by Tilley lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

main contractor only needs to supply safety lighting. workmen need to supply task lighting.

main contractor only needs to supply safety lighting. workmen need to supply task lighting.

True, however safety lighting will be required in any room, corridor or stairwell that workers and visitors have access to. So everywhere basically, including a room which will/is being worked in.

Lighting required to perform the actual task should be described in the method statements or can sometimes be "as determined" by the person carrying out the work. Any unlit areas must have access prevented by barriers and/or enclosures.

The majority of lights are sold as "work lights" because they're inadequate for safety illumination as they're liable to blind you if you look directly at them and they are directional so cast shadows. So they're separately switched locally, whereas the safety lighting (festoon or partially installed building lighting) runs all over the building and can be switched centrally.

Walking the dog up the cut the other night lit up the towpath like Colin McRae's Subaru through a Welsh forest stage.
1000 lumens would just be too much for close work, but on one of the lower settings would be just perfect.
Machined out of alloy and waterproof, the Nitecore blows away my Petzl Myo in quality, performance & price.
Serious bit of kit that would light up an entire room just sat on a window sill should you get caught out on a dull Dec afternoon.
I need one of these in my life, what a beast!

Worked on a site in the 80's, and there was a Red I****n plasterer, skimming by Tilley lamp.

My brother used them when I first left school to labour on him mid 80s, I always thought it was gonna blow up

Looks really good, and yes a good price too. I want one or perhaps even two.

True, however safety lighting will be required in any room, corridor or stairwell that workers and visitors have access to. So everywhere basically, including a room which will/is being worked in.

Lighting required to perform the actual task should be described in the method statements or can sometimes be "as determined" by the person carrying out the work. Any unlit areas must have access prevented by barriers and/or enclosures
I use this bad boy for walking the dog, loading the van in dark days or setting up before the lights are on
Cheap as chips and really bright

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000-Lm-L...106722?hash=item4aff7f3562:g:pSEAAOSwLF1YA0Lf
I've used this one. Really good.

Lighting required to perform the actual task should be described in the method statements or can sometimes be "as determined" by the person carrying out the work. Any unlit areas must have access prevented by barriers and/or enclosures.

The majority of lights are sold as "work lights" because they're inadequate for safety illumination as they're liable to blind you if you look directly at them and they are directional so cast shadows. So they're separately switched locally, whereas the safety lighting (festoon or partially installed building lighting) runs all over the building and can be switched centrally.
You would not see that on site in a million years communals and stairwells but units people are working on not a chance

My opinion. Supply lighting and power, or find someone else to do it. Greedy c**ts!

You would not see that on site in a million years communals and stairwells but units people are working on not a chance

What you see on a site, and what's required are frequently two different things. The difference usually only becomes apparent when there's an accident.

However, HSG 38 is quite clear and even gives suggested light levels and makes a clear distinction between task lighting and safety or general illumination. The key point that it makes is that there should be "a reasonable uniform illuminance". Work or task lights don't provide that, hence the need for safety lighting.

Fortunately I don't have to work on sites anymore, so personally I couldn't give a monkey's if people are using candles. It is useful for lads that do work on sites to be up to speed with the requirements though. If you're ever unfortunate enough to have an accident you need to know where you stand (if you still can!).

Agree with you tony but it dont happen

and most of the time for most of the stuff that's OK because nothing bad happens. Like I said though, if it does go Pete Tong at some point you can get straight onto the phone to 'Injury Lawyers 4 You'. (y)

So if i am using power off my own genny on new housing plots whats the solution

If you're sub-contracting then you're doing all that you can and more than you should have to. You could complain and kick up a fuss but we all know how that would end. You could just have a word and point out that it's not on but that's unlikely to change much. You could bubble them anonymously to HSE which would be the least likely to drop you in it personally.

As you are though you're not taking on any liability by providing your own light and power except responsibility for the generator and any power cables from it which are your responsibility as it's yours.

Only you can make the call tbh, but I presume as you're working there you're only doing it because it's the best option for you at the moment.