damproofing advice required please

Status
Not open for further replies.

les127

hi all.im a plasterer,who has done very little damproofing,virtually none,lol.friend asked me to do a bit of work for her,as shes just bought a small house to rent out.its quite clear it has a rising damp problem,i plan on using dryzone cream to the affected areas,theres about 25 metres in total,the mortar bed on the walls when ive taken the old render off, not to bad for injecting the cream,however i was also thinking of tanking the wall a metre high also as a backup,am i being extreme?i just dont want her to come back to me with any problems.also am i better off using a render with waterproofer mixed in,then just skim as normal,or better of using something like renderlite, or dricoat or a lightweight backing plaster instead of render,thanks guys for any advice offered.

hi all.im a plasterer,who has done very little damproofing,virtually none,lol.friend asked me to do a bit of work for her,as shes just bought a small house to rent out.its quite clear it has a rising damp problem,i plan on using dryzone cream to the affected areas,theres about 25 metres in total,the mortar bed on the walls when ive taken the old render off, not to bad for injecting the cream,however i was also thinking of tanking the wall a metre high also as a backup,am i being extreme?i just dont want her to come back to me with any problems.also am i better off using a render with waterproofer mixed in,then just skim as normal,or better of using something like renderlite, or dricoat or a lightweight backing plaster instead of render,thanks guys for any advice offered.
Get a company in to check it out first ,as you say you know very little .with respect

That still doesn't mean it needs injecting....and If I was you I wouldn't give a surveyors report much credibility.

If your worried about your mate coming back with problems get a damp firm in. Where's the job.

she did and they quoted over 2 grand,hence me saying i would do it cheaper for her,thanks anyways lads(although i didnt get any advice on the original question i asked,lol)

she did and they quoted over 2 grand,hence me saying i would do it cheaper for her,thanks anyways lads(although i didnt get any advice on the original question i asked,lol)

My advice was to make sure it needs injecting. which means checking the cavities arent full of crap bridging the DPC, are the outside grounds levels ok, does it have any airbricks. has it been rendered down to the floor externally, does it have concrete floor and has it been plastered down to the floor internally.

You cant just use a damp meter to determine the reason that the walls are wet. I know plenty of compaines who just come on site bang the meter in the wall and start hacking off and injecting a new chemical DPC and then hand you a bill for a few grand, but that doesnt mean it needs injecting.

I didnt answer your OP cos i was trying to get you to be 100% that it needs injecting rather than you wasting money on something you dont need.

And if your still not happy with my answer you can muff my ass.............................:flapper:

@les127 when I've had issues with damp, let's face none of us know everything!? @Artisan998 has always offered the right advice and although he likes to take the pi*s his info and advice about damp matters is bang on and you can appreciate without seeing a job first hand its difficult to pinpoint exactly what's wrong?? I've read artis post and he's right, check cavity for crap etc and all the other bits of advice too. As for render? Use a good quality waterproofer with added salt retarder if any efflorescence coming through but prime the masonary with an anti sulphate first?
Best of luck mate the lads on here are good and full of good advice :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
How could I be so stupid!!! Its very clear @jesssop is bang on the money with his method here :RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
We are still in the R & D phase of the Beddy brick so at this point I'm am unable to divulge any further information regarding said product

and lets just say it does need injecting,would it be ok to tank on top,as a back up ,as it would still allow me financially to do so, compared to the other quotes shes had,just for peace of mind,thanks

The only properties i have injected were ones that did not have a physical DPC.........If it had one the chances are its something else causing the damp. So assuming this property didnt have one and i couldnt find another viable cause for the damp then i would hack of the plaster.
Inject a new chemical DPC into the mortar beds.
Coat the walls in Anti-sulphate solution to kill off the ground salts.
Float the walls with renovating plaster (allowing at least 24hr curing time) then cover this in finishing plaster.
No redecoration for 3 months if painting and 12 months for wallpapering.

Status
Not open for further replies.