Damp works on the property we are buying

Members online

Stef.mcc

Morning,

I'm looking for some advice with regards to what type of work is being carried out in the photos below. We are in the process of purchasing this property.

Place was renovated and looked great on viewing, but when we popped round to look through the windows a few weeks later we noticed so marks on the wall. Highlighted this to solicitor and vendor advised it was damp treatment 'settling' and just needed a lick of paint.

We went round yesterday and it appears there is far more t
20170702_171143.jpg
20170702_171422.jpg
han a lick of paint going on.

The bank asked for a fresh home report but the vendor said the surveyor had a back log, having spoken to surveyor there is no back log and it appears the vendor is buying time to do more work. We will contact solicitor about this today but would welcome any opinions about what is going on here.

Home report reported a higher than average damp reading, vendor stated he had recently under taken a damp proof treatment (2 months ago)

Tbf they might be doing the right thing for you, I'm selling my house, for the last few weeks I've been doing all bits and bobs around the place so when people move in it's in tip top shape for them.

I'd chillax and get the move done, even if it needs work when your in there I doubt it would cost a lot

Tbf they might be doing the right thing for you, I'm selling my house, for the last few weeks I've been doing all bits and bobs around the place so when people move in it's in tip top shape for them.

I'd chillax and get the move done, even if it needs work when your in there I doubt it would cost a lot
It's not to your house by any chance they are looking at is it? That has got to be the worst advice anyone could give ffs

Morning,

I'm looking for some advice with regards to what type of work is being carried out in the photos below. We are in the process of purchasing this property.

Place was renovated and looked great on viewing, but when we popped round to look through the windows a few weeks later we noticed so marks on the wall. Highlighted this to solicitor and vendor advised it was damp treatment 'settling' and just needed a lick of paint.

We went round yesterday and it appears there is far more tView attachment 18586 View attachment 18587 han a lick of paint going on.

The bank asked for a fresh home report but the vendor said the surveyor had a back log, having spoken to surveyor there is no back log and it appears the vendor is buying time to do more work. We will contact solicitor about this today but would welcome any opinions about what is going on here.

Home report reported a higher than average damp reading, vendor stated he had recently under taken a damp proof treatment (2 months ago)
They are trying to rip you off, they have dabbed boards over all the problems, no cappings on the electrics, the problem they have is you never bought before the problems came and they are struggling to hide them again. I suggest you call round and if every wall has been dabbed with boards don't buy, it's common for people to cover up with boards get a quick sale and move on.

@flynnyman its good advice I gave if you look I bet they have just had to sort the electrics, see the light switch is too low and there was a horizontal cable to the plug , plus how do you know there's damp you are guessing

And the second picture has no dab marks on the wall so it was probably just screwed in imo if you look close you'll see I was right and apologies to everyone

The only way you should proceed with the sale is if your solicitor can negotiate a large chunk of money is held back from the sale for 12/24months, just in case the damp re appears very quickly after you move in.

@flynnyman its good advice I gave if you look I bet they have just had to sort the electrics, see the light switch is too low and there was a horizontal cable to the plug , plus how do you know there's damp you are guessing

And the second picture has no dab marks on the wall so it was probably just screwed in imo if you look close you'll see I was right and apologies to everyone
It's not good advise at all, there are signs of the old dabs, there are boards all over the floor, the OP mentioned the damp not me. Believe me you are not right on this one, can you not see the wiring? Can you not see the socket on a slant? Can you not see the board which looks like a board on its side on the top pic and the boards still stuck on the wall to the right?

Fair enough, he said it's damp who knows but it's only one room maybe they are floating walls out now and skimming to get it right , seems a bit harsh for everyone to be saying pull out of the deal etc the op is probably at wits end already about moving , the house ain't gonna fall down

Fair enough, he said it's damp who knows but it's only one room maybe they are floating walls out now and skimming to get it right , seems a bit harsh for everyone to be saying pull out of the deal etc the op is probably at wits end already about moving , the house ain't gonna fall down
It's a bodge and there are already issues and that's before they are in how much warning do you need?

Hope the poor sod posts back up , let's us know how he got on with it all , if he really loves the location and house besides a bit of refurb work going on in that room imo I wouldn't pull out

Hope the poor sod posts back up , let's us know how he got on with it all , if he really loves the location and house besides a bit of refurb work going on in that room imo I wouldn't pull out
He could buy another house in the same area ffs

Try and knock a bit of money off then if it needs work you can do it , if doesn't happy days

Try and knock a bit of money off then if it needs work you can do it , if doesn't happy days

Not quite as simple as that though is it, it's money knocked off of a mortgage not money in their pockets.

I reckon old vincey should be a used car salesman as he loves trying to sell people moody gear

I reckon old vincey should be a used car salesman as he loves trying to sell people moody gear
Thing I don't understand about you and Gods comments is , obviously the seller is doing the work now to put it right, so what's the problem here?

Thing I don't understand about you and Gods comments is , obviously the seller is doing the work now to put it right, so what's the problem here?
I don't expect you to understand coz your thick as pig s**t, the seller can't sell it if it's damp, the dates have run over so stop making up stupid excuses for something you know nothing about, and stop tagging me in posts for attention ffs

Damp has appeared before it was sold, meaning damp was existing before its renovation, now one area has become apparent but what else have they purposely hidden/covered up.
This has probably been bought at a reduced rate done up very quickly and shoddily and cheaply to sell at it's market rate.
It's just they have been caught out and now trying to play the good guy.

My advice again is RUN BEFORE YOU GET BURNED

Op said survey picked up higher damp reading in that room only so presume they checked everywhere else

Op said survey picked up higher damp reading in that room only so presume they checked everywhere else

I'm starting to see why you are happy to promote any old shite, if you are told it's good you just run with it

Last edited:
we can all speculate but you are not going to know unless you actually go there and get a survey done again

we can all speculate but you are not going to know unless you actually go there and get a survey done again

Agree, but if it's been temporarily hidden by dot and dab etc it may not rear its ugly head for 6 months or so, a surveyor isn't going to pick this up. by which time the house is sold and the seller is laying on the beach on the costa somewhere, and the buyer is left high and dry and skint.

Agree, but if it's been temporarily hidden by dot and dab etc it may not rear its ugly head for 6 months or so, a surveyor isn't going to pick this up. by which time the house is sold and the seller is laying on the beach on the costa somewhere, and the buyer is left high and dry and skint.
High and damp?

A surveyor will dismiss checking dabbed walls and should mention the problems that WILL arise when the temperature drops. Steer clear this type of property should not be dabbed.

Oh right so surveyors are s**t now too are they ffs now I've heard it all

:risas:

They don't move furniture, they do not check why a solid wall has been boarded or how it was done, so it is very limited what they do, so yes a home survey isn't the best