Damp wall

Furballcough

The wall has penetrating damp, this is due to the cottage is built in to a hillside. If I use metal stud can I put moisture boards up facing the old wall or will this not work.

The wall has penetrating damp, this is due to the cottage is built in to a hillside. If I use metal stud can I put moisture boards up facing the old wall or will this not work.

Hi there,

It will work to a degree. But i assume the damp is coming up into the wall as well as across into it? - does that make sense?
I would personally dig a trench around so that the wall and the ground are separate. Then put an acco style drain in or french trench or similar.

Perhaps before going to the expense of fitting drains etc. Dig out the ground so the wall and hillside are separated to floor level by say a 500mm wide trench. If the damp doesnt dry up or improve to a noticeable level then I think you need to look at damp proofing and the drain option.

Thanks.

Hi there,

It will work to a degree. But i assume the damp is coming up into the wall as well as across into it? - does that make sense?
I would personally dig a trench around so that the wall and the ground are separate. Then put an acco style drain in or french trench or similar.

Perhaps before going to the expense of fitting drains etc. Dig out the ground so the wall and hillside are separated to floor level by say a 500mm wide trench. If the damp doesnt dry up or improve to a noticeable level then I think you need to look at damp proofing and the drain option.

Thanks.

Are you a man of many talents?