Damp rental property

Members online

windy

Private Member
Hi all.

Have a rental property. Typical victorian terrace. Double skin brick with no air void between. Tenant uses it as a base when he argues with his Mrs who lives round the corner. So it's never properly lived in or heated or ventilated...but rent gets paid so I go along with it.
Went to do inspection the other day and it has usual damp on walls which I have fixed many times before.

Now I intend to sell this house as soon as the tenant moves which cud be 12/18 months or less so I'm not looking for a rolls Royce long term fix.And I can't change the way the house is lived in atm or the method of construction...

In the past I've checked the exterior and cleaned gutters, hacked off back to brick internally , repointed any brickwork then used 2 coats of a decent tanking slurry (usually use sk from wickes ) then used thistle drycoat to float and them skim. Areas I've done in this method have worked in the past.

Can anyone else suggest any other methods/ tips for a quick fix before I sell up...ps I prefer drycoat over s and c for speed and ease of mix although it is very expensive.. tia

Are you sure its damp and not condensation pal as the living conditions dont really effect rising damp.. I would always recomend a piv fan... It brings clean air into the property and puts it under postive pressure.....

Hi all.

Have a rental property. Typical victorian terrace. Double skin brick with no air void between. Tenant uses it as a base when he argues with his Mrs who lives round the corner. So it's never properly lived in or heated or ventilated...but rent gets paid so I go along with it.
Went to do inspection the other day and it has usual damp on walls which I have fixed many times before.

Now I intend to sell this house as soon as the tenant moves which cud be 12/18 months or less so I'm not looking for a rolls Royce long term fix.And I can't change the way the house is lived in atm or the method of construction...

In the past I've checked the exterior and cleaned gutters, hacked off back to brick internally , repointed any brickwork then used 2 coats of a decent tanking slurry (usually use sk from wickes ) then used thistle drycoat to float and them skim. Areas I've done in this method have worked in the past.

Can anyone else suggest any other methods/ tips for a quick fix before I sell up...ps I prefer drycoat over s and c for speed and ease of mix although it is very expensive.. tia
Lime

Are you sure its damp and not condensation pal as the living conditions dont really effect rising damp.. I would always recomend a piv fan... It brings clean air into the property and puts it under postive pressure.....
Could be its mainly external walls where the cold and warm air meet

Fixed many times before lol. You mean bodged. Fix it and it won't come back. You want to bodge it again, just using different terminology.

Can anyone else suggest any other methods/ tips for a quick fix before I sell up...
Yes. When you get your month's notice off of him pop round and put the heating on 25 degrees and leave the windows open on the 1/2" latch. Return a week or two later and drop the heating down to 15 degrees or so and leave it like that until the contracts are exchanged.

Dri-coat?

fk that.........

here's jonny j bonding!.jpg

Yes. When you get your month's notice off of him pop round and put the heating on 25 degrees and leave the windows open on the 1/2" latch. Return a week or two later and drop the heating down to 15 degrees or so and leave it like that until the contracts are exchanged.

this was my thought. quickest fix is to keep the heating running constantly and make sure there are no cold radiators. Sell it in summer