Damp interior stone wall...What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doncs

Hi, new to the forum. Done a fair bit of skimming /plastering and recently become self employed as a general builder/property maintenance man.
Went to have a look at a small job tonight and theres a large damp patch running down the corner of the property. She said it was due to the overflow running down that area outside the house.The wall felt bone dry, but obviously had been damp before, its a stone wall which has been rendered smooth. The wall is only 3x4 metres so I suggested battoning the wall and using 1 inch celotex, plasterboarding, and skimming. Just wondering whether the damp would work its way through the timber or insulation and reappear, also is there any product i can slap on the damp to help it hold it back before I plasterboard it. Any advice would be great! Cheers, lee:RpS_thumbup:

Better to find the exact cause of the damp and cure it than to cover it up or try to "hold it back".

If in doubt get a local expert to take a look.:RpS_thumbup:

Would be you're best bet doncs use foil back board too and try and keep everything an inch of the floor

Hi, new to the forum. Done a fair bit of skimming /plastering and recently become self employed as a general builder/property maintenance man.
Went to have a look at a small job tonight and theres a large damp patch running down the corner of the property. She said it was due to the overflow running down that area outside the house.The wall felt bone dry, but obviously had been damp before, its a stone wall which has been rendered smooth. The wall is only 3x4 metres so I suggested battoning the wall and using 1 inch celotex, plasterboarding, and skimming. Just wondering whether the damp would work its way through the timber or insulation and reappear, also is there any product i can slap on the damp to help it hold it back before I plasterboard it. Any advice would be great! Cheers, lee:RpS_thumbup:
To batton out and plasterboard is ok ,as Spunky said ,but if the penertrating damp has been treated ,i think it is a bit over board . It is more then possible that salt is now in the render ,which could be removed and replaced with a washed s/c render ,in my mind ,but i have not seen the job

Status
Not open for further replies.