Curvy Marshalltown

-sean-

Hi all, sorry if it's a dumb question but is it normal for a Marshalltown trowel (not a flexi) to be curved across its length from new? I know they are 'broken in' so expected a curve across its width but against a straight edge the heel and toe are lifting about 2mm up. I guess it will stop it digging in and maybe straighten a bit under pressure but is that normal as I kind of expected them to be flatter?

Hi all, sorry if it's a dumb question but is it normal for a Marshalltown trowel (not a flexi) to be curved across its length from new? I know they are 'broken in' so expected a curve across its width but against a straight edge the heel and toe are lifting about 2mm up. I guess it will stop it digging in and maybe straighten a bit under pressure but is that normal as I kind of expected them to be flatter?
Have you considered that the wall may be the issue?

Normal yeah . I've got 4 and all curve eventually after a few years

Horrid trowels, permashape. Get the 14x4,3/4 next time if you want a straight one.

MT normal carbon 14”, if you want a flat wall/ceiling, you need a flat trowel :)
Ah, yeah a bit worried this was a waste of money, they're not cheap and don't see how it can get a flat finish with such a bow in it, doesn't make sense.

Ah, yeah a bit worried this was a waste of money, they're not cheap and don't see how it can get a flat finish with such a bow in it, doesn't make sense.
so what you're saying then is that one of; if not THE best selling trowel in the world is wrong?
sounds like you're just to much of a limp-wristed fanny to use it sunshine.....stick to your b&q value flat trowel

so what you're saying then is that one of; if not THE best selling trowel in the world is wrong?
sounds like you're just to much of a limp-wristed fanny to use it sunshine.....stick to your b&q value flat trowel
Fair point, guess I'll only know how I get on if I try it. Was more concerned if it had got crushed in transit but that would probably take some doing as it looks sturdy. Using a MT 11 x 4.5" SS before that came with pre ground edges and rivets and has a tiny curve and only lifts a little at the ends so hardly noticed it, that is really nice to use and maybe best for me to stick with that as a DIYer.

Yep, there s**t

Fair point, guess I'll only know how I get on if I try it. Was more concerned if it had got crushed in transit but that would probably take some doing as it looks sturdy. Using a MT 11 x 4.5" SS before that came with pre ground edges and rivets and has a tiny curve and only lifts a little at the ends so hardly noticed it, that is really nice to use and maybe best for me to stick with that as a DIYer.

your right. Nowt wrong with what your using.
Unless your plastering everyday, you’ll have more control and pressure with a smaller trowel.