Cross troweling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiggins82

Hi everyone was taught to always taught not to cross trowel but seen a few people do it now when flattening first coat on walls and ceilings is this the right way?

the reason being, when skimming you should always have you trowel strokes going across the (natural) light, so the light mainly comes in via windows and doors across the wall so your stroke should be up & down, on ceilings you should be doing the same (crossing the natural light)

I always cross trowel.... well most of the time :)

On ceilings I tend to lay my first coat on in one direction then the second coat the other way...

I always cross trowel.... well most of the time :)

On ceilings I tend to lay my first coat on in one direction then the second coat the other way...
So would you lay first coat on across the light then second along it?

After about the second trowel I start to cross trowel ( do we mean on say a wall troweling horizontally ) so when it's finished it looks like stripes like a football pitch,

So would you lay first coat on across the light then second along it?

Yes as often as I can be bothered.... depending on shape and size of teh lid.... if its a long narrow I just lay on in the one direction... if its square then I would lay on across the light then with it... then trowel it teh other way...

I sometimes just pull all the edges in the drop through and pull the middle in... if that makes sense...

I dont think it makes a great deal of difference... it all paints the same :)

If its put on flat it shouldn't make any difference at all which way its trowelled, all our boards are tapered edge, so I try to go with the tapered edge rather then across it.

I'd normally if its all going on in one bucket , go right around the room then fill the middle in , opposite when im trowelling up

Start a ceiling at any point and plaster around like the hands of a clock, so in a circular pattern,

I got asked by another spread to help on a monster ceiling years back and i was like yeah sure.....

He started in teh middle and skimmed it like a spider would spin a web... I **** myself.... but it came out lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies.