cracks after 2 months

wall2wall

Hello,

Im hoping you guys can offer some advice, we rendered this 2 months ago and today the customer calls as there are cracks appearing, two large cracks, very straight ones.

It was on a timber frame, with cement board. we base coated it with hp12 and fully meshed it, then K1 spray to top. Today was warm, but no hotter than any other warm day.

Customer is devastated, hes a good friend of mine and likes things to be right, which i fully understand.

SO, more than anything i want to know why it done this? and second of all what can i do about it? and how can we stop it happening in the future.... any advice is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• render 2.jpeg
    render 2.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 462
  • image2(1).jpeg
    image2(1).jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 461
Would have used a silicone bucket coat system 1.5mm finish with additional stress patches angled over all openings corners.

That said all render is s**t imo and can only do so much!

Would have used a silicone bucket coat system 1.5mm finish with additional stress patches angled over all openings corners.

That said all render is s**t imo and can only do so much!
the rear is timber the rest is block, and customer wanted k1 finish... but im starting to agree with you about render lol. as a matter of fact this is my last job... im doing other bits, but its turning into a nightmare

HPX for render Board. HP12 isn’t strong enough.
yet on the k rend spec sheet it sayins hp12 on cement fiber board. literally just took a picture of it and sent it to the customer

the rear is timber the rest is block, and customer wanted k1 finish... but im starting to agree with you about render lol. as a matter of fact this is my last job... im doing other bits, but its turning into a nightmare

yet on the k rend spec sheet it sayins hp12 on cement fiber board. literally just took a picture of it and sent it to the customer

I've lost more sleep over rendering jobs than I care to imagine.

I'm sadly begining to think the rewards just aren't worth the risk involved at the moment when you consider the outlay & cash flow.

Like all aspects modern render prices have started to crash after being good earners I'm finding!

There's only @lurpak that seems to be able to make money in plastering us mere mortals are just wage slaves!

you did not state if you had scrimed the joints in the cement board before you fitted the complete mesh?

The issue is the spec ! I would contact rendit they will refair cracks for you
they come and repair cracks? awesome. how do they do it out of interest?
you did not state if you had scrimed the joints in the cement board before you fitted the complete mesh?
no i didnt, by that comment im guessing i should have done, never done it before and never had a problem. but if it my fault its my fault....but just want to resolve the problem

I'm sadly begining to think the rewards just aren't worth the risk involved at the moment when you consider the outlay & cash flow.

Like all aspects modern render prices have started to crash after being good earners I'm finding!

There's only @lurpak that seems to be able to make money in plastering us mere mortals are just wage slaves!
agree mate..... thats why ive decided to stop and concentrate on property, just not worth the return and it just seems like its problem after problem for not much return. so this is my last job ever.... but gonna get it done right and put right any wrongs

Wouldn’t do it if wasn’t making P. Theres far easier jobs

Wouldn’t do it if wasn’t making P. Theres far easier jobs

Easier said than done for us. We do full works on property for developers so it's just part of the package.

If we cherry picked works we wouldnt get the jobs we have to screed, float, damp works, board, install rsjs, skim etc.

Said contacts were very good to us in the last recession and paid my mortgage.

Would love dearly to just do little jobs every day but also we can't get your prices ground these parts and would be working for absolute scraps!

Easier said than done for us. We do full works on property for developers so it's just part of the package.

If we cherry picked works we wouldnt get the jobs we have to screed, float, damp works, board, install rsjs, skim etc.

Said contacts were very good to us in the last recession and paid my mortgage.

Would love dearly to just do little jobs every day but also we can't get your prices ground these parts and would be working for absolute scraps!

I know mate , I’m in a position where I can cherry pick otherwise I seriously doubt I’d be plastering. Probably do bathrooms start to finish or something

I know mate , I’m in a position where I can cherry pick otherwise I seriously doubt I’d be plastering. Probably do bathrooms start to finish or something

Totally agree, my problem is I've left it to late in my working life to change and then to reep the rewards once 're established.

Modern renders promised to be a way out of the plastering rat race and I've earned very well in the past lads paid and good profits but around here it's just become another race to the bottom.

will go over it with that then. you think if i go over it with that and fully mesh again we shouldnt have problems in the future?
The product is already to heavy and not for carrier board ! Mesh wouldn’t of saved it ! Speak to rendit they are your best bet !

Are you based in the Midlands wall2wall ? If you are I’d be happy to take any future enquires you get and don’t want mate or at least quote them if you packing up
na based in norfolk mate
The product is already to heavy and not for carrier board ! Mesh wouldn’t of saved it ! Speak to rendit they are your best bet !
will call them today thanks

No worries mate , I just trying to whore myself out as much as can atm for exterior works, hope your job goes ok
my last job..... cant write it can ya!! will call mend it today as that looks like the best option, just worrying about colour differences so dunno whether to get the whole job done then coat it all maybe, will see what they say

Hello,

Im hoping you guys can offer some advice, we rendered this 2 months ago and today the customer calls as there are cracks appearing, two large cracks, very straight ones.

It was on a timber frame, with cement board. we base coated it with hp12 and fully meshed it, then K1 spray to top. Today was warm, but no hotter than any other warm day.

Customer is devastated, hes a good friend of mine and likes things to be right, which i fully understand.

SO, more than anything i want to know why it done this? and second of all what can i do about it? and how can we stop it happening in the future.... any advice is greatly appreciated
its fckall to do with you movement on building structure pal

its fckall to do with you movement on building structure pal
well, spoke with rend it today and as someone said above they said hp12 then k1 is too heavy for cement fibre board, should use hpx then the TC15. ive never heard that and done a few cement board jobs never had a problem. so i feel like a useless c**t and probably look like a cowboy to a good mate of mine but i dont feel like im completely in the wrong, but will put it right. gotta hack it off and maybe replace the fibre board.... my last job is gonna be a stinger!!! but gotta leave on a positive

well, spoke with rend it today and as someone said above they said hp12 then k1 is too heavy for cement fibre board, should use hpx then the TC15. ive never heard that and done a few cement board jobs never had a problem. so i feel like a useless c**t and probably look like a cowboy to a good mate of mine but i dont feel like im completely in the wrong, but will put it right. gotta hack it off and maybe replace the fibre board.... my last job is gonna be a stinger!!! but gotta leave on a positive
a crack coming off top of window is defo movement in structure go to bed without a worry I understand mates house and all that but its out your hands

a crack coming off top of window is defo movement in structure go to bed without a worry I understand mates house and all that but its out your hands
seems there are conflicting opinions, and funnily enough he asked two people who said "they've used the wrong product we never do that"..... which didnt help haha. but everyone is so righteous and perfect not many will say yeh thats what we do after they see a problem

Good for you pal, the correct attitude and your mate will appreciate your honesty & friendship more for how your dealing with it rather than bullshitting him!

Timber moves. The same as plasterboard over joists and scim doesn't matter how much scrim or mesh u use timber expands ect. And u get a crack it's movement. It happens.same as solid walls any movement and render cracks above windows and doors mesh or eml won't spot it .