Coving adhesive

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranny77

Hi just wondered what adhesive people use for coving? I've been using wall tile adhesive for about 12 months and must have used 100 lengths since January. But had my first ever comeback where the coving hasn't taken to the walls with no explanation. To be fare I didn't key the walls but I don't do that unless it's on silk paint anyway.

Used cove adhesive today,ran out of fibrefix ,only wanted to fix 1200mm of fibour,so it was either £30 for fibrefix of £8 for cove adhesive,but I'm a rookie what do I know:RpS_unsure:

Last edited:
Make your own covings to see if you are not rookie :p

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Been done with me dad , hassle as need a work shop etc really . I tend to keep away from making moulds etc matey , me grandad probz run most the cornices around my area :RpS_thumbup: Well quite a few and not all him personally but his blokes lol

Tile adhesive is fine. I find it shrinks though so no good for filling out tops and bottoms.
Probably stuck but took the paint on with nit?

But yeah always key it and what about screws? Chance of screws and adhesive failing ???

no need to score the surface and you pva plaster, not wet it .. tile adhesive is what I use, you dont score the surface when fixing tiles, and you pva the surface when fixing tiles, same sysytem as coving... and dont forget tiles weigh a lot more than coving... and whats with the shite concerning coving ?? coving usually means Gyproc ... cornice is fibrous....

@ryanswart are you aware that you come across as a complete prick on here? Are you really in a position to give advice from long term use of materials/tools?
No didn't think so. So wind your neck in a bit, stop sucking up to every supplier that comes on here and most importantly stop ******* pretending to be an expert. Listen/read and learn more from those with real experience.
I've heard you're a really nice fella so this is just a friendly heads up.

As Eddie said drywall adhesive is great for fitting gyproc cove with the Lafarge version being nice. Less gritty and white.
There are many miles of cornice sitting up there held in place by tile or drywall adhesive and though it's not the 'by the book' way it works for many, cheap and is readily available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scoring the background is a good habit to get into on any background even new plaster.
If I have time the day before on some walls and ceilings I run a bit of betekontakt/micro to give a key.

I always use drywall addy as I always seem to have some. Redo a room with dot n dab got some addy left over, skimm it and put the coving on with the drywall addy that's leftover.

I may be prick where am trying not to be as wanted to analyse what is right and wrong with my comments - if you agree with me or not - any disagreement I learn from it from your feedbacks As don't want to be chancer. No offence there essexandy. :) Forum members are actually mentors to me :)

Are you Eastern European by any chance? They can come across as being a bit sharp but it's just how they are

Cheers guys I put it back today with artex and a few screws after keying and dampening the surface. It's old 1950's lime render which pulls the moisture out too quick. I boarded the room next to it with touch wood no problems so I'm putting it down to that.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Never thought cove adhesive wuf cause so much banter lol.. well I use cove adhesive.. I also use drywall. . Both just as good.. I dont score the surface.. I wet new plaster.. I even cove same day as av plastered ceilings.!!! Never had any problems with any...!! Oh n just to throw it out there I butt n scribe my coving..!!!

2 years plastering and 1 year with my fibrous studies. One more year of studies (Level 3 fibrous) and Autocad course too.

2 years plastering. That's zero experience really. No offence like. I'm 20 yrs in and still learning things.

Status
Not open for further replies.