couple of s&c renders.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg

Remember getting a trailer full for £5 punt,
Our home is ballycarnan, means home of the rocks,so surrounded by sandpits or were.

€450 for a 20 tonne load now lol.
It would open a few eyes on here just how coarse some of it can be, too coarse in fact, like flagging sand lol!
Did you ever do a knap finish Johnio??
Have never got my head around why it's done at all.....

€450 for a 20 tonne load now lol.
It would open a few eyes on here just how coarse some of it can be, too coarse in fact, like flagging sand lol!
Did you ever do a knap finish Johnio??
Have never got my head around why it's done at all.....
My first real job was patent reveals and knap finishing a garage, I was 17 ..

My first real job was patent reveals and knap finishing a garage, I was 17 ..
The garage was done to match the bungalow, so scratched and did reveals then floated with a knap finish ,done with a plastic float,timber was supposed to be better for the finish,

My first one was when I moved here 11 years ago, I was dumbstruck why you would float it up real nice and then go & make a balls of it with a spongefloat!
I was told they used to do it with a float years ago, now that I would like to have seen [emoji1][emoji106]
Just done one this week with white cement & quoins, will post some pics later in week & you can rip it to pieces lol

My first one was when I moved here 11 years ago, I was dumbstruck why you would float it up real nice and then go & make a balls of it with a spongefloat!
I was told they used to do it with a float years ago, now that I would like to have seen [emoji1][emoji106]
Just done one this week with white cement & quoins, will post some pics later in week & you can rip it to pieces lol
The float nap is easy enough. All about timing,lime etc

Old Polish guy I worked with 25 yrs ago told me they used to add fish scales to their tyrolene in Poland. They used to dip brushes ( like a witches broomstick ) in tyro slurry and tap the handle near the head to splatter the tyro, then throw fish scales at it

Old Polish guy I worked with 25 yrs ago told me they used to add fish scales to their tyrolene in Poland. They used to dip brushes ( like a witches broomstick ) in tyro slurry and tap the handle near the head to splatter the tyro, then throw fish scales at it

Sounds a bit fishy to me!

ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1432565905.038862.jpg
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1432565922.247372.jpg

Couple of pics of the nap finish with white cement & quoins in grey.
Unusually for over here, beads are on reveals, but I think would have looked a lot better with grey bands.?

Looks good pal,I have to be honest though I am not farmiliar with this technique 'knap finish' how is it achieved?
You'd need to be shown ,basically you float it up nice ,then use a wet sponge float to create the nap look, we use to do it with a plastic float, the timber was better ,you needed a broken in float, but I think most nap with the sponge float

@BigK quality job ,patent reveals on the doors and windows would of sexed it up,but top notched knap finish

You'd need to be shown ,basically you float it up nice ,then use a wet sponge float to create the nap look, we use to do it with a plastic float, the timber was better ,you needed a broken in float, but I think most nap with the sponge float

@BigK quality job ,patent reveals on the doors and windows would of sexed it up,but top notched knap finish
Cheers jon,I guess it's a popular finish in irland and not so much here,have you used it since you've been in London?

Cheers all, agree fully about the patents, I even tried talking them into having bands, but they weren't having it, so the paymaster gets what the paymaster wants.....

I doubt very much if it would be possible to do a knap finish in England because of the sand, it needs to be coarse, and I can't recall any that would be suitable, you would basically be running water on top of the wall.
Delighted it's passed the forum specs lol, not bad for an Englishman eh?? Lol!!

Cheers all, agree fully about the patents, I even tried talking them into having bands, but they weren't having it, so the paymaster gets what the paymaster wants.....

I doubt very much if it would be possible to do a knap finish in England because of the sand, it needs to be coarse, and I can't recall any that would be suitable, you would basically be running water on top of the wall.
Delighted it's passed the forum specs lol, not bad for an Englishman eh?? Lol!!
Fair play making a living over there

It's tough going Johnio, but it's been worse in last few years, slightly better now, I'm in Wicklow so things pick up a bit quicker here than say, in the west.....
I notice your from ballycarnan, my dad was from Abbeyleix, and cousins used to play ball for Ballyroan.
And I'm here because...... You guessed it,,,,, a woman!

It's tough going Johnio, but it's been worse in last few years, slightly better now, I'm in Wicklow so things pick up a bit quicker here than say, in the west.....
I notice your from ballycarnan, my dad was from Abbeyleix, and cousins used to play ball for Ballyroan.
And I'm here because...... You guessed it,,,,, a woman!
Small world isn't it,.abbeylace they say back there, my uncle was postman there for years ,morrisseys is a great old boozer, often end up there,got cousins in Abbeyleix
Ballyroan names,mcwey,McMahon,delaneys,

Guilfoyles are the only relation left there now, live in Boley just off the Ballycolla road, only one sister stayed (married local farmer) all the rest went to Manchester. Small world indeed

Guilfoyles are the only relation left there now, live in Boley just off the Ballycolla road, only one sister stayed (married local farmer) all the rest went to Manchester. Small world indeed
I have or had guilfoyle relations , ballyfin side , my sister lives in boley ,

That's my cousin! His mam lives down the road, who is my dad sister!!!
Kinell!
Unbelievable! Lol
Wicklow ia beautiful , my brother lives in shankhill Dublin ,been to a couple of christenings in Wicklow .what a beautiful place

It is. I honestly couldn't go back now, and if I've managed to keep earning a few bob this last few years I should be ok as it can't get that bad again!
Some lovely backdrops whilst I'm working, might annoy the forum with a few of those in a bit lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.