Corner trowel..................Am I an old dog?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelly

Private Member
My misses says I'm a bit of a minger but so is she so thats that then :)

Anyway

I been at it 20 odd years and allways did oposite walls untill recently, when I disscovered corner trowels.

But I struggle with them, they allways leave lines or one wall is okay but the other is a bit shight etc.

Is it just a case of cant teach an old dog new tricks or do other people have trouble with them too?

I only ever use mine when i do float and set on thermalites as the skim is pulling in fast it makes life easier.

Hello Mate
Danny mentioned a tip some time ago ref them and it works really well, just use one side at a time, run the trowel down one wall then the other, I think the wall has to be perfectly square for them to work normal. I use them all the time now, think you get a better edge

Mate put a little gear on corner trowel run it up the crease put a bit more gear on the trowel pull it down the crease.leave it alone.Just b4 ready to square up put some more gear on it and run up down again...so so easy to use.
When you give it first trowel run a 1 inch wet brush downthe crease and trowel as normal.
Job done!!

nelly said:
My misses says I'm a bit of a minger but so is she so thats that then :)

Anyway

I been at it 20 odd years and allways did oposite walls untill recently, when I disscovered corner trowels.

But I struggle with them, they allways leave lines or one wall is okay but the other is a bit shight etc.

Is it just a case of cant teach an old dog new tricks or do other people have trouble with them too?

try taking a grinder to the edges of a new corner trowel and round them off a bit. towel wears in a bit quicker.(don't go crazy with grinder couple of passes shold do it.) then a little rub with sand paper. hope it helps.

i cut a very small bit of corners of with a junior hack saw... filed them round. and bent the wings in slightly. also do u lads use corner trowels along wet on finished corners, when finishing off.

why would you run a brush down the angle use the internal to trowel it thats what they are for

I think its what you get use to doing ,but if the corner trowel is worn in it helps a lot ,then you should be able to get it spot on .

ive tried telling loads of spreads about the way i was shown by a yank they have had the newer style not the twitcher type for ever and they always do corners first run a bead of mud up both angles with trowel and then use corner trowel this way it blends it back to the board and then skim as normal it works great and its fast

Status
Not open for further replies.