Cleaning Micro Cement Floor

Members online

IanJames

Hi, We had a micro cement floor laid last year in a light grey colour with movement. We love the texture and finish but find it really hard to keep clean due to the texture caused by the movement which traps dirt. We try really hard to not get it dirty in the first place but with 2 young boys it is not easy...!!! The only way I have found to lift dirt out of the grain is to get on my hands and knees with or steam cleaner with a scrubbing head then suck up the dirty water with a window vac...all in all a lot of effort. Is there any way of re coating to close the grain / texture to stop it catching dirt. Aside from this the floor is great.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Ian

Hi, We had a micro cement floor laid last year in a light grey colour with movement. We love the texture and finish but find it really hard to keep clean due to the texture caused by the movement which traps dirt. We try really hard to not get it dirty in the first place but with 2 young boys it is not easy...!!! The only way I have found to lift dirt out of the grain is to get on my hands and knees with or steam cleaner with a scrubbing head then suck up the dirty water with a window vac...all in all a lot of effort. Is there any way of re coating to close the grain / texture to stop it catching dirt. Aside from this the floor is great.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Ian
Hi Ian,

I always apply smooth to a floor area rather than texture by the sound of what you've got? Movement can be achieved with smooth effects as it's the trowel marks/burnishing giving this the movement meaning if that makes sense.

Do you have an image of floor you could send?Also what brand/sealer was used?An additional sealer may help clean it easier but other than that it's re-apply.

I get asked alot for pitted/stone effects for shower enclosures and strongly advice against for maintenance reasons.

Should you wish to discuss please feel free to call me on 07719330726

Kind regards

Rich

Rich,

Thank you for your reply. The texture in terms of movement is subtle but enough to pick up dirt in the areas that are not smooth and trap it which will only lift when scrubbed with steam mop. I have used PH neutral cleaners and it will not lift it. Following scrubbing it looks good then we try to clean regularly with a micro fibre mop but it won't stay clean until I scrub it again. Less trafficked areas are not as bad. I will post some pictures later. I am thinking if the floor is scrubbed clean then another couple of coats of sealant may help to fill the pitting and reduce the dirt build up.

I believe the product is imperia Italia colour Edinburgh with their satin sealer which when down in 2 coats.

Thanks

Ian

Rich,

See attached photos of our floor, please let us know your thoughts?

Thanks
Ian

Attachments

• IMG_6186.jpg
    IMG_6186.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_6187.jpg
    IMG_6187.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_6188.jpg
    IMG_6188.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_6189.jpg
    IMG_6189.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_6190.jpg
    IMG_6190.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_6191.jpg
    IMG_6191.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 398

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Ian
Pull the apron off get the Mrs to do it, what's wrong with your man!!

Rich,

Thank you for your reply. The texture in terms of movement is subtle but enough to pick up dirt in the areas that are not smooth and trap it which will only lift when scrubbed with steam mop. I have used PH neutral cleaners and it will not lift it. Following scrubbing it looks good then we try to clean regularly with a micro fibre mop but it won't stay clean until I scrub it again. Less trafficked areas are not as bad. I will post some pictures later. I am thinking if the floor is scrubbed clean then another couple of coats of sealant may help to fill the pitting and reduce the dirt build up.

I believe the product is imperia Italia colour Edinburgh with their satin sealer which when down in 2 coats.

Thanks

Ian
Ahh ok.Did the guys apply the link prior to main sealer?

Rich,

See attached photos of our floor, please let us know your thoughts?

Thanks
Ian
Hey, I have exactly the same problem with my microciment floor. After i year it looks terrible. I thought also about vacuum steaming ore something like this. Anybody some better ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
Hey, I have exactly the same problem with my microciment floor. After i year it looks terrible. I thought also about vacuum steaming ore something like this. Anybody some better ideas?
Hi Dan

The application doesn't look great tbh.I don't know what brand they've used but even with a good sealer if its been applied rough iga very easy to have misses.I'm not going to mention any names but there are a lot of microcement kits sold to anyone without any experience needed and it results to this.

Depending on where your based please feel free to message or call me Monday and I would be happy to advise how to move forward with this

Cheers

Rich

Hi Ian,

I always apply smooth to a floor area rather than texture by the sound of what you've got? Movement can be achieved with smooth effects as it's the trowel marks/burnishing giving this the movement meaning if that makes sense.

Do you have an image of floor you could send?Also what brand/sealer was used?An additional sealer may help clean it easier but other than that it's re-apply.

I get asked alot for pitted/stone effects for shower enclosures and strongly advice against for maintenance reasons.

Should you wish to discuss please feel free to call me on 07719330726

Kind regards

Rich