Carbon Steel or Stainless Steel

• Carbon Steel

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 23 60.5%

• Total voters

Plasterers1StopShop

Hi Guys,

Just some information required my end on the types of trowel you use.
Whether you use Carbon Steel or Stainless Steel

If you can answer in the poll I would be very grateful, if you answer SS, can you comment the reasons why, if you use Carbon, also please comment why

Thanks for taking time to do this

Ryan

Recently got a carbon and very impressed. Leaves a nice finish and the trowel is very light. I leave it in a rag that I drenched in wd40 and at the end of the day I'll spend literally a minute with a bit of sandpaper keeping it clean and dry. It's not high maintenance. Always previously used stainless and still use nela premium stainless. Nela handle is more comfortable but carbon mt has better blade in my opinion.

Used a carbon mt for rendering the past year, broke in a hell of a lot quicker than a stainless also lighter.

Have used it for skimming but hate it when it starts rusting up. Been using a brand new ss mt lately for rendering has also been a pleasure but you can definitely feel the difference

Coat it in water and leave it out in the air so it really rusts up then scrape rust off it will go black trust me it works

Used both started 30 years ago with carbon then went to ss now just gone back to carbon as prefer it and end of day just spray with wd40 easy

Carbon steel since I started 10 years ago. I personally think the edge on a carbon is a lot finer and smoother and has a slight bit more flex than ss.
Each to his own

Carbon steel for me. Just dry it off after you use it. Leave it in vinegar for a weekend every now and again

Best setters I've had have been carbon. The metal remains true. Some SS I've had have warped. Normally once they have become good for setting.

Always used ss because of hassle factor, although the best trowel I've ever used was the guy who taught me's well worn in carbon steel, was a dream.

Tried carbon for the first time over the last couple months and wins for me hands down lighter and effortless to use. Spent a good couple hours breaking in with oil stone then straight on to strop.then the forced patina looked Quality. Wee sand and oily rag keeps it in shape.

If carbon steel is so good why do you need to get a patina, stick it in vinegar, wrap it in an oily rag and carry a carborundum stone, cos the blade is easily nicked. Carbon steel trowels was all we had back in the early 80's and i'm happy with today's SS trowels a bit of a rub with wet an dry that's it cleaned. I have an old mt CS from that time and its shaped like a v an as sharp as a scalpel but I don't use it simply cos it needs TLC and my ss trowels don't