Calculating materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK1

I'm currently trying to get my head around the process of a materails survey, maths, measurements and volumes have never been my strong point but I think I'm getting there. Am I right in thinking that I multiply the length of a wall/ ceiling by the width then multiply that by the height and add them all together minus any windows and doors?

Hello When I use multi finish,

length x width = meter squared and then I divide it by 9 which will then give you the number of bags you need.

When using hardwall,

length x width = meter squared and then divide by 3 and that will give the number of bags.

As far as windows and doors concearned I normally ignore them as this will give you enough gear for wastage.

Hope this helps

Danny

Hello When I use multi finish,

length x width = meter squared and then I divide it by 9 which will then give you the number of bags you need.

When using hardwall,

length x width = meter squared and then divide by 3 and that will give the number of bags.

As far as windows and doors concearned I normally ignore them as this will give you enough gear for wastage.

Hope this helps

Danny

I might be being really stupid, but what do you mean but hard wall? Bonding? If its not bonding, how does the calculation differ when working out how much bonding is needed?
Also are you working with 25kg bags in the calculation?

Thanks

as a rough guide 1 bag will do one wall (skimming)...average 4m wall...
thats about 10m2
for a full room i always take 6 bags, thats 1 extra just in case...

I go by 10m2 bag of Multi and 3m2 bag of undercoat. Don't forget your're half again for second coat of finish! As Danny says we normally include doors and windows when measuring, this covers your reveals etc any extr :)a is pennies in your pocket.

looks like danny has it spot on including topping + a couple of hawksfull just in case..
take a 4m wall, 4x2.5 = 10m2 /9 = 1.1 bags or near enough a bag, which will do ten metres, or 1 average wall :D
trust me, it says 10m2 on the bag, if you knock up 2/3 of said bag youll cover 10 metres, if you then knock up the remaining third youll top it...
the HARD bit is guaging your water to suit the amount your gonna hit...comes with practice, bout 1/3 of a gorilla tub will do nearly a bag, 1/2 full youre looking at nearly a bag and a half...always have an extra bag just in case you knock up too much first go, then youve at least got enough to mix again...

bout 1/3 of a gorilla tub will do nearly a bag, 1/2 full youre looking at nearly a bag and a half...always have an extra bag just in case you knock up too much first go, then youve at least got enough to mix again...
What size tub is that, I think mine are 40L.

It also depends on what you're skimming. On to board and your mix will go further, but a lot of reskims especially lath, you need to lay on a thick coat so it does'nt go as far. It also depends on your mix, i like my mix quite thick so that you can get plenty on and theres less spillage but ma mate likes his a lot runnier.

Forgot to say, if you're using Gorilla tubs the small one takes about a bag, medium - bag and a half, big one anything upto about three and a half bags.

I hate it when its runny, i end up with more on me and the floor. I also think that when its a bit thicker theres more on the wall and it holds off a bit longer. Ah hate when you've got a set on and you go back to flatten it out and it going off and its a nightmare to trowel up, you have to work twice as hard! Our jobs hard enough as it is :mad:

i use a medium tub, just about carry it full, holds about a bag and a half..
i tend to mix it so that if you get the whisk and draw a line in the mix and it stays there thats it...just so it dont fall off the toe when im startin the edges, any thicker and like the lads say it dont go as far, too thin and youll struggle to flatten it (and it'll be all over the floor!), too thick and youll have trowel arm just layin the ceiling on!
like peg says if you got a real bad wall youll throw nearly a full mix on just to try and level it...always take more than you think youll need, some surfaces that look reasonable for overskim will be miles out when you actually get on em...
windows and doors should be ignored when workin out materials/metreage etc...specially windows, you end up layin it on thicker round the beads so youll use more and it takes longer to skim round a window than it does to skim a flat area the same size as the window...more edges to clean, reveals to get straight etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.