Brown Spots on 3 Day old skim coat

rpetersmauri

Greetings,

Our home has a few rooms that not only have the original horse hair plaster, but at some point, someone added a textured stucco-like layer over them.

In the dining room the walls not only have a stucco texture, but we also had a couple of significant cracks. We opted to sand and skim-coat the walls smoothly, repairing the cracks as we went. The first 24hours I was excited that everything looked pretty good, and there was not a trace of the texture coming through. The walls are nice and smooth. After 3 days, we have one corner that now is showing a bunch of brown spots. This wall is where an exterior wall meets an interior wall.

Prior to plastering the old wall didn't show any stains visible to the eye. What could these be? Is it grease or nicotine? Is a moisture? I do have the plaster coming back this week, but I would like to figure out what could be causing this and I have a bigger problem to investigate in the walls.

Thank you.
IMG_20230503_182530491~2.jpg
IMG_20230503_182540099~2.jpg

Greetings,

Our home has a few rooms that not only have the original horse hair plaster, but at some point, someone added a textured stucco-like layer over them.

In the dining room the walls not only have a stucco texture, but we also had a couple of significant cracks. We opted to sand and skim-coat the walls smoothly, repairing the cracks as we went. The first 24hours I was excited that everything looked pretty good, and there was not a trace of the texture coming through. The walls are nice and smooth. After 3 days, we have one corner that now is showing a bunch of brown spots. This wall is where an exterior wall meets an interior wall.

Prior to plastering the old wall didn't show any stains visible to the eye. What could these be? Is it grease or nicotine? Is a moisture? I do have the plaster coming back this week, but I would like to figure out what could be causing this and I have a bigger problem to investigate in the walls.

Thank you. View attachment 74408View attachment 74409
Its nicotine , its been reactivated with the wet plaster and bled through. Just mist coat as normal then give it a coat of oil based undercoat to seal it. Then you can just emulsion it as normal.