British Gypsum launches brand-new website as part of wider commitment to improving transparency and supporting the industry in building better

Members online

What's dsg mate? I do remember seeing lorries turning up with board for recycling.
De-sulphurised Gypsum from power plants. When I visited, in my former life, just to make it clear They said to the students that it was lighter than natural Gypsum. I’ve no idea what they plan but I’d guess they will import it.

De-sulphurised Gypsum from power plants. When I visited, in my former life, just to make it clear They said to the students that it was lighter than natural Gypsum. I’ve no idea what they plan but I’d guess they will import it.
Sounds to me like plasterboard will be coming from China as well before we know it.

Siniat Bristol boards apparently made purely from desulpherised gypsum and recycled plasterboard
-https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/339413/Variation_and_consolidation_notice.pdf

And BG Fuald Mine in Tetbury were granted planning permission in 2013 to import DSG, for "blended products" - after getting that permission, they then asked and got approval to keep the mine open until 2028 without doing any further environmental impact study. The basis of the request being that it provides 80% of the UK national supply of gypsum and anahydrite (OPC to us) - presumably then it will be DSG and recycled only.

Siniat Bristol boards apparently made purely from desulpherised gypsum and recycled plasterboard
-https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/339413/Variation_and_consolidation_notice.pdf

And BG Fuald Mine in Tetbury were granted planning permission in 2013 to import DSG, for "blended products" - after getting that permission, they then asked and got approval to keep the mine open until 2028 without doing any further environmental impact study. The basis of the request being that it provides 80% of the UK national supply of gypsum and anahydrite (OPC to us) - presumably then it will be DSG and recycled only.
With the way things are going hopefully DSG will no longer be available anywhere in the world by then due to it coming from coal burning power stations.

With the way things are going hopefully DSG will no longer be available anywhere in the world by then due to it coming from coal burning power stations.
Is that the only source? If UK gypsum source closes/runs out, what are we going to use then, mud? Not a joke, seriously wondering.

Just looked it up, very interesting, won't bore you with numbers but guess what, UK will be a loser. Global supply shortage coming, massive demand and bucks in asia/china, main supply source Iran/Oman/China.

Don't have to be an economist to see the price will go up and up, quality (? fill in the blank). Also affects cement supply/prices. I can see a version of paper mache woke boards coming.

2nd Global GypSupply Conference & Exhibition on gypsum supply trends and technology,

on 15-16 November 2022, in Brussels

You all going yeah?:sleep:

Is that the only source? If UK gypsum source closes/runs out, what are we going to use then, mud? Not a joke, seriously wondering.
It is for DSG. As for running out of Gypsum, it’s not something that will concern us. I’d be more worried about the existing mines running out and the plants having to be moved. If anyone’s been round the plants they know just how big they are and I wouldn’t like to guess at the cost of that which could impact on the cost of materials. Yet again not something we need to worry about imho.

China are still building coal fired power stations at a rate of knots, so there will be dsg around for a long time to come.

China are still building coal fired power stations at a rate of knots, so there will be dsg around for a long time to come.
They are not planning on exporting much, if any. Chinese growth plans are to use all it can produce. They'll only supply to their "One Belt & Road" so called "partners" to ensure they continue to pay the debt.

It is for DSG. As for running out of Gypsum, it’s not something that will concern us. I’d be more worried about the existing mines running out and the plants having to be moved. If anyone’s been round the plants they know just how big they are and I wouldn’t like to guess at the cost of that which could impact on the cost of materials. Yet again not something we need to worry about imho.
? The existing UK mine is scheduled to shut in 7 years, when most of the underground resource will be gone. After that we will be reliant on imports, at a price.

Fck me, I was half-joking, "I can see a version of paper mache woke boards coming." They've only gone and done it already;

"Adaptave and the University of Bath have produced alternative gypsum-free wallboard from compostable crop waste....production of their prototype wallboard, called Breathaboard...environmentally friendly alternative to gypsum wallboard.....does not require gypsum extraction or flue gas desulphurisation (FGD) at coal-fired power plants."

IMG_0830-copy.jpg

Fck me, I was half-joking, "I can see a version of paper mache woke boards coming." They've only gone and done it already;

"Adaptave and the University of Bath have produced alternative gypsum-free wallboard from compostable crop waste....production of their prototype wallboard, called Breathaboard...environmentally friendly alternative to gypsum wallboard.....does not require gypsum extraction or flue gas desulphurisation (FGD) at coal-fired power plants."

IMG_0830-copy.jpg
Well considering that there was a composite/fibre board being made in Essex and elsewhere decades ago it's hardly surprising that something similar would be developed again.
Just think of all that readily available rubbish ready to be recycled into something like this.

Who cares give me a knauf board any day
..just sort your boards bg there are too in consistent
Maybe your kids or grandkids might care if the environmental impact is not reduced to a sustainable level.
? The existing UK mine is scheduled to shut in 7 years, when most of the underground resource will be gone. After that we will be reliant on imports, at a price.
I can assure you that there is plenty of Gypsum still underground. Which mine are you talking about?

Maybe your kids or grandkids might care if the environmental impact is not reduced to a sustainable level.

I can assure you that there is plenty of Gypsum still underground. Which mine are you talking about?
I know it's a while ago when we visited the mine, but I'm sure I remember them saying that there was at least twenty-five years worth left in the East Leake seam, and that there were many more untouched seams around the country?

bg owns all the gypsum mines in the UK... (i believe) and so knauf gypsum is the waste product for power stations which is not natural gypsu

Agree about environment and thought gypsum to be abundant

Firstly I misunderstood the situation in that I didn't realize other boards contained no NATURAL gypsum at all , sorry Danny I always thought it a blend your one step closer to johnny boy on the list

It's an explanation as to the situation of BG not apparently accepting the " floppyness and soft composition " because It's not a fair comparison being different products

When I was young the boards came in twos , wasn't just to protect the decorating sides , was to stiffen them for handballing as they were floppy then lol.

When my local skip tip stopped me putting plaster board in the skips years ago and charged a min £50 per sling sack we have to put them in for them to take them , everyone thought they were selling them on to be recycled by board manufacturers, and softer boards soon appeared in merchants.

Fauld mine in Tetbury.
Re Andy's point - maybe BG spoke with forked tongue when applying for planning permission, suggested BG produced all 80% of the UK gypsum production from this one mine, national strategic importance blah blah.
Maybe in 2028 they'll try for another extension.
I've put the link to the approved paper if you want. happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong.

If there isn't already mining going on I doubt they'll get permission for a new mine elsewhere 'cos of the impact you described- unless big heavy bungs to Govt. of course.....

Stop f**k**g about then in making the boards? Do u actually use the boards? You don't realise how bad and in consistent there are

@The Apprentice so some BG boards have a pink core and some white. All of the poor quality boards we've had from BG have had the pink core. To the point where I told Jewsons that if they tried to deliver a pallet with pink cored boards they would be sent away.
Apart from colour what is the difference in the core material?

IMG_0830-copy.jpg

I wonder how they behave in a fire?

Presumably, in order to be considered more environmentally friendly than gypsum boards, they can't very well be impregnating them with toxic fire retardants like antimony, but they are almost certainly more flammable than gypsum.

@The Apprentice so some BG boards have a pink core and some white. All of the poor quality boards we've had from BG have had the pink core. To the point where I told Jewsons that if they tried to deliver a pallet with pink cored boards they would be sent away.
Apart from colour what is the difference in the core material?
I don’t work on the board side of things but I’d guess that the pink core as less dsg than the white.

IMG_0830-copy.jpg
Will it take a staple?

I don’t work on the board side of things but I’d guess that the pink core as less dsg than the white.

According to a 2006 Govt. paper they (the Govt) were told, or released to the public that "The market demands pink coloured plaster of a consistent colour, most easily obtained from natural gypsum".
It also states the authors of the paper could not get any decent production stats as BG is the only UK producer. This also supported/justified the increased expansion of East Leake production, and forecast reduced DSG use.
East Leake was due to close in 2025, and in 2017 planning permission was extended to 2042. It produces lots of boards!

I would have thought housebuilders would prefer an EU style white finish? My critical cynical view is that BG put the fix in, via the authors/Govt lobbying to effectively shut out competition and keep their own mines in operation longer. Most production in the rest of the world seems to be white/ish.

According to a 2006 Govt. paper they (the Govt) were told, or released to the public that "The market demands pink coloured plaster of a consistent colour, most easily obtained from natural gypsum".
It also states the authors of the paper could not get any decent production stats as BG is the only UK producer. This also supported/justified the increased expansion of East Leake production, and forecast reduced DSG use.
East Leake was due to close in 2025, and in 2017 planning permission was extended to 2042. It produces lots of boards!

I would have thought housebuilders would prefer an EU style white finish? My critical cynical view is that BG put the fix in, via the authors/Govt lobbying to effectively shut out competition and keep their own mines in operation longer. Most production in the rest of the world seems to be white/ish.
"The market demands pink coloured plaster of a consistent colour, most easily obtained from natural gypsum".
What an absolute load of bullshite. Why would anyone care what colour the plaster is when it's getting painted anyway?

"The market demands pink coloured plaster of a consistent colour, most easily obtained from natural gypsum".
What an absolute load of bullshite. Why would anyone care what colour the plaster is when it's getting painted anyway?
Totally agree, BG market protection. The UK mines appear to be the only pink ones, and maybe softer material than the white ones. You can see in pics of the UK mines that it is pink underground but the only pics I've found of EU opencast are white.