British Gypsum equivalent in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayJSF

Just moved to USA from UK to become a firefighter but will be trying to do a bit of plastering on the side.

Been a plasterer in UK for 10 years and obviously used Multi, Hardwall etc everyday.

Anyone know of an equivalent product in USA? Been looking on the web but struggling to find any Gypsum based plasters over here to be honest........

Any help/info will be greatly appreciated!

That's because they don't skim plasterboard, they tape and fill either by hand or machine (Ames taping) the biggest drywall company is USG. Check out their website.

Diamond veneer plaster and Unical also do a veneer plaster.I used them in Boston.Both white in colour and same principle as skimming only one coat.I was only in Boston but from what I was told large parts of the US only tape and joint especially the West coast.

That's because they don't skim plasterboard, they tape and fill either by hand or machine (Ames taping) the biggest drywall company is USG. Check out their website.
Surely they must have some backing and skimming products for refurb work

Although tape and joint is big in the US the older properties are lathe and plaster so these properties need repairs etc with plaster

I've been told that in a lot of the older properties that skimming is needed the mexicans are doing it (skimming) with drywall 'mud' filler!!! Then fill the house with dust when they need to sand it. It also obviously cracks and comes away from the walls/ceilings.

A lot of the older properties are over boarded and skimmed.The standard of work in Boston is quite high imo,but then again I only saw that area.Theres a lot of Irish plasterers in Boston and most are from the west of the Emerald Isle.

Just moved to USA from UK to become a firefighter but will be trying to do a bit of plastering on the side.

Been a plasterer in UK for 10 years and obviously used Multi, Hardwall etc everyday.

Anyone know of an equivalent product in USA? Been looking on the web but struggling to find any Gypsum based plasters over here to be honest........

Any help/info will be greatly appreciated!

https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/en/products-solutions/products/finishes/plasters.html
What part of the US did you move to?

I had a look at the link u put up @Loren. Nice to read up on some different products from over the pond. What's the plastering scene like in USA?

I'm in Georgia where there is a lot of older properties in certain areas with lathe and plaster walls with brick outer walls. I spoke to my mate who is an electrician out here and they just skim with drywall filler and it looks sh*te obviously.

I can't find any plasterers doing original plastering at all in Georgia, plasterer seems to mean pool plasterer or dryliner here!

I might even ship British Gypsum Products over here!

I'm in Georgia where there is a lot of older properties in certain areas with lathe and plaster walls with brick outer walls. I spoke to my mate who is an electrician out here and they just skim with drywall filler and it looks sh*te obviously.

I can't find any plasterers doing original plastering at all in Georgia, plasterer seems to mean pool plasterer or dryliner here!

If you do it right it will look fine and be a lot easier then importing gypsum.

Is traditional solid plastering dying out over there or people not wanna pay? I would love to give it ago abroad

If you do it right it will look fine and be a lot easier then importing gypsum.

Never looks as good as skimming a wall, when the light hits it looks crap and also the amount of sanding and dust is mental!

I've just found USG veneer plaster over here that should work fine so fingers crossed.

Is traditional solid plastering dying out over there or people not wanna pay? I would love to give it ago abroad

It seems to be unheard of and not many people skilled enough to do it in this area of the US but i've heard New York and other areas still do solid plastering.

I don't think its a money thing?

This is the USG supplier that I found and looks like the same sort of process-

That gear looks nice to use! Is that an old video, the spreads all look like they from the 80's or something? I've seen one video on YouTube of some geezer from the states called kirk giordano he's seems to do all the types? He cracks me up!
Shame the building game over there doesn't push solid all over, personally it's a better finish than tape and jointing and quicker, Well from what I've seen over the years!

That gear looks nice to use! Is that an old video, the spreads all look like they from the 80's or something? I've seen one video on YouTube of some geezer from the states called kirk giordano he's seems to do all the types? He cracks me up!
Shame the building game over there doesn't push solid all over, personally it's a better finish than tape and jointing and quicker, Well from what I've seen over the years!
It's similar to mp finish to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.