brand new ceiling repaired 3 times, still cracking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
he did the original job in just over 1 day but personally I think he will simply refuse to reboard or overboard and replace the cove and pay for the decorating.... so should I be asking for his public liability insurance details or should I just let him papertape and reskim????

sooner have an hairy beaver than artex!

a grand, he'll still be well paid even if he comes back to put it right

he did it in the day for a grand didnt you think that was a bit much? the gear wont have been £100!!! was this an insurance job?

he did it in the day for a grand didnt you think that was a bit much? the gear wont have been £100!!! was this an insurance job?

i thought it was extortionate but yes it was an insurance job and had one quote similar but one quote £300 less. The insurance loss adjuster made the decision on which quote to go with based on how detailed their quote was so had little if anything to do with me.

i mistakenly thought top money would equal a top job, but so far it has been me doing all the running about and him avoiding the issue..

british gypsums report and advice is now back with me,
stating that they beleive that the boards wer probably not skimmed thick enough nor the skrim tape properly attached to the boards on the joints to stop "suction"??
They have recommended that the joints be cut back to a V them papertaped over and easiifilled over in 3 or more stages. But they do state that I will probably end up with a visible belly where the repair is in certain lights..

just ring the insurance company and tell them, theyll prob stop the cheque

wish I could, but being the nice guy I made sure that the cheque was here for them when they completed the job , so the cheque was cashed in a couple of weeks ago..

that is absolutley shocking, £1100.

i'v just priced a living room, kitchen & bedroom re-skim few bits of bonding to patch first and went in at £800.00.

im gob-smacked you didn't question the point of him making so much in 1.5 days, i would make him rip it down, do it properly and throw the kitchen on too for what you have paid.

staggering ceiling boards is rule No. 1, its schoolboy stuff.

i dont think i would ever skim over paper tape either.

i think you should have been looking to pay around the £600 - £700 inc mats + a lab for ceiling help. off the top of my head before i get jumped on. but i suppose its where you are in the country, south yorkshire (where im from) is the plastering capital of england so you have to be quite competitive with the pricing in comparison to somewhere like the south-west of england.

hope you get it sorted, Mac

ps, thats not top money its ridiculous. i know good time-served plasterers that dont take that home after 2 weeks solid graft.

that is absolutley shocking, £1100.

i'v just priced a living room, kitchen & bedroom re-skim few bits of bonding to patch first and went in at £800.00.

im gob-smacked you didn't question the point of him making so much in 1.5 days, i would make him rip it down, do it properly and throw the kitchen on too for what you have paid.

staggering ceiling boards is rule No. 1, its schoolboy stuff.

i dont think i would ever skim over paper tape either.

i think you should have been looking to pay around the £600 - £700 inc mats + a lab for ceiling help. off the top of my head before i get jumped on. but i suppose its where you are in the country, south yorkshire (where im from) is the plastering capital of england so you have to be quite competitive with the pricing in comparison to somewhere like the south-west of england.

hope you get it sorted, Mac

well, I suppose he did scrim the corner of the room directly where the fire was too, but that took about half an hour...

how did he run his boards on the ceiling, were they parrallel to the joists or running in the opposite direction.

do you know what i mean?

he had one lad knocking up the plaster and he was skimming himself.
Gypsum have basically said its a workmanship issue but wont put that in writing in those exact words... they just keep stating they way they say it should have been done - which it hasnt...

how did he run his boards on the ceiling, were they parrallel to the joists or running in the opposite direction.

do you know what i mean?

the ceiling is approx 4m x 7.5m with the joists runnning the 4m width.
The plaster boards are running length ways over the 7.5m run so the ends of the boards are jointed on the joists if you understand me.

yeah i understand, i was just wondering, he has done that correctly then but he hasn't staggered the joints.

wow, cant believe that. where are you based

BG wont put that in writing because its slander basically, im not saying your wrong but they wont want to get involved to that extent.

in some certain circumstances the cheque can be 'stopped' upto 6 months after its been cashed (well you use to be able to do this) if you go ask at the bank theyll so no but if you go up the line then theyll say yes, did you send his invoice into the insurance company to say that hed done the job and that youv paid him cash? ive never been paid on the day off an insurance job unless the customer has wanted to do this.

the only thing i can suggest is to get him round again and tell him straight.

you want the ceiling taking down and putting up again the correct way, tell him the BG rep has told you it is bad workmanship.
do not take no for an answer.

ask him straight why he did not stagger the boards, ask him what he expected to happen if he didn't stagger the boards.

it really pi$$es me off things like this, i couldn't bloody sleep at night if that was me who'd left a job like that.

in some certain circumstances the cheque can be 'stopped' upto 6 months after its been cashed (well you use to be able to do this) if you go ask at the bank theyll so no but if you go up the line then theyll say yes, did you send his invoice into the insurance company to say that hed done the job and that youv paid him cash? ive never been paid on the day off an insurance job unless the customer has wanted to do this.

The insurance company sent the cheque payable to him to me to give to him when the work was completed.

Main problem with over boarding is that the room is now coved (which partly fell down after he did it and had to be redone...) to overboard all the cove would have to come down and then the whole room would have to be redecorated at much expense. I am not responsible for any of this and am ending up being stuck with the bill which simply isnt right. If I did a job for someone I can bet a penny to a pound that I would be held responsible and forced to put it right.

If over-boarding is out of the question due to the coving, then get some 50mm drywalls and re-screw either side if the cracks, ensuring that theres a decent fixing, "this will tell you if hes half on the joists or not." Fiber tape all cracks PVA and over-skim.

AB

i suggested to him today that I was concerned about him attempting yet another repair when I am being led to beleive that the boards may not have been fixed correctly in the first place i staggered etc. He asked why the boards had cracked on the other joints as well then? which i believe the answer from gyproc gives a pretty good reason for... skrim tape not applied correctly and skimming not done thick enough causing quick dry out and weakness on the joints, the cracks travelling the full width of the room due to boards not being staggered their explaination for the humps appearing on the ceiling as it was drying out seems spot on - that there was "pick up" over the scrim tapes as they were not applied with a priming band as they recommend causing the bulging.
I would say possibly 8 times out of ten the plasterer may have "got away with it" as it were, but not here sadly.

If over-boarding is out of the question due to the coving, then get some 50mm drywalls and re-screw either side if the cracks, ensuring that theres a decent fixing, "this will tell you if hes half on the joists or not." Fiber tape all cracks PVA and over-skim.

AB

at the moment I am not doing anything as I do not believe its my responsibility.
With all the expense thats going to be incurred here to put this right properly by the sounds of it it going to be a pita.... new ceiling, new coving, whole room redecorated again....:RpS_crying:

the most annoying thing here, other than the cracks is that I have had to do all the running around and he has just washed his hands of it. Now I have had advise from gyproc technical and their rep he isnt exactly happy with their suggestions. I think the suggestion that I "had better get gyproc out" was said to try and get rid of me thinking that I wouldnt bother.. but thats not going to be the case..

need as much advice as I can get, its onlybeen repaired a week and its cracked across the room again where its not staggered on 2 joints just a waiting game for the other repairs to start cracking.....

at the moment I am not doing anything as I do not believe its my responsibility.
With all the expense thats going to be incurred here to put this right properly by the sounds of it it going to be a pita.... new ceiling, new coving, whole room redecorated again....:RpS_crying:

Was giving you some advise mate not sugesting its your responsibility. Maybe i should have phrased my post a bit clearer.

Putting aside that the boarding is shite and that he robbed you blind to do it, why have you gone ahead and completly decorated the whole room if the jobs not been right from the start ?

By screwing either side of the cracks ensuring fixings both sides into joists, scrimming, PVa'ing and over-skimming will fix the problem.

I know it should have been done right first time mate, but a basic over-skim will put it right, no need to start ripping the whole room out and starting from scratch.

AB

Status
Not open for further replies.