Bonding not setting

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
I put some bonding on this morning about 1m2 over a piece of standard plasterboard.
15mm thick to bring out to existing wall. It was old internal window.
Put some skim with it to try help it set.
It's been on 3 hours and still as soft as sh!t!
Any ideas why?
It's doing my head in!

Would of been better putting another board on and then a tight coat before skimming?
I say 15mm but where the walls out a little it's around 5 on the edges but thick in the middle.
Thanks for the reply though! Just got a wait then!

That's why I always keep one of my cleaning buckets dirty so I can mix it with dirty water and it sets in next to no time

Theoretically, it shouldn't take much longer to set, it's gypsum and should set in the same time regardless how thick it is.
If you want it to set quick put some bonding adhesive with it next time...... But be quick getting it on!!!'

I've always found it takes longer to set with dab.

It's on now and I've used the nela, coming up sound.
The nela/s*p*r*lex are great for blending edges to nothing and not scagging.
Luckily I'm on day rate.!

Dirty or hot water sets it fast.
Client will think why am I paying him whem hes done in an hour !!!!!!!!

I put some bonding on this morning about 1m2 over a piece of standard plasterboard.
15mm thick to bring out to existing wall. It was old internal window.
Put some skim with it to try help it set.
It's been on 3 hours and still as soft as sh!t!
Any ideas why?
It's doing my head in!
Couple of handfulls of lime thru it,,, sets it off quicker.

That's why I always keep one of my cleaning buckets dirty so I can mix it with dirty water and it sets in next to no time

Nearly do that all the time with bonding , depends what im doing like but its a must if your on pricework . Its good to use on day work haha

couple of handfulls of finish works canny an al

I do that if in doing bigger areas to save the 3-4 hour wait , its hung like that even when its been on thin it doesnt really make a difference . Not tellin u that bit but everyone lol

Annoying...15mm isn't that thick, maybe the weather.

If I need a quick set I chuck in some rapid cement, but keep the mix wet otherwise I don't find it sticks as well. 30 mins u'll be skimming.

Ill answer this, I'm the bonding expert, should of put it on in two thinner coats to take it up to 15mm. Let is set between coats and scratch. No probs, remember if in doubt bonding it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.