Bonding failed??

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that over here in the states they have asbestos test kits in the large hardware outlet stores. Most all asbestos was banned around here in the 1970's. My Dad had asbestosis amongst other bad things he used to spray asbestos fire proofing over steel beams & pans in commercial buildings back in the 50's & early 60's. Back in 1987 I was working for a large school district in our area, I had been trying to get on there full time as it was a steady cushy job for the most part if you didn't mind screwing the tax payers to death. One job they sent me out to do a repair on was a gymnasium with a large air inlet all the "plaster material" around the perimeter had been carried away by the air movement. When I inspected the damage I noticed that it really looked like raw unsealed sprayed on asbestos. I wasn't carrying any of this with me in the truck, so I reported back to the bosses at the district that I thought that the material was asbestos. They told me in no such way was this asbestos and they I was totally wrong. That night I was talking to my Dad on the phone & I told him about the ceiling. He told me that the crew he was on back in the 50's sprayed that ceiling and that indeed it was a really high percentage asbestos. The next day I went into the Shop at the district, told the boss that I knew that it was asbestos. I got sent out to repair at another school and when I came back I was fired for knowing too much. So much for principles and screw them for caring so much for the kids at that school.

I always mix bonding an finish together an have no problems. I was doing a job with friend an he just used bonding an got call in evening saying his was on the floor. Just never took .

I've noticed that over here in the states they have asbestos test kits in the large hardware outlet stores. Most all asbestos was banned around here in the 1970's. My Dad had asbestosis amongst other bad things he used to spray asbestos fire proofing over steel beams & pans in commercial buildings back in the 50's & early 60's. Back in 1987 I was working for a large school district in our area, I had been trying to get on there full time as it was a steady cushy job for the most part if you didn't mind screwing the tax payers to death. One job they sent me out to do a repair on was a gymnasium with a large air inlet all the "plaster material" around the perimeter had been carried away by the air movement. When I inspected the damage I noticed that it really looked like raw unsealed sprayed on asbestos. I wasn't carrying any of this with me in the truck, so I reported back to the bosses at the district that I thought that the material was asbestos. They told me in no such way was this asbestos and they I was totally wrong. That night I was talking to my Dad on the phone & I told him about the ceiling. He told me that the crew he was on back in the 50's sprayed that ceiling and that indeed it was a really high percentage asbestos. The next day I went into the Shop at the district, told the boss that I knew that it was asbestos. I got sent out to repair at another school and when I came back I was fired for knowing too much. So much for principles and screw them for caring so much for the kids at that school.
I've had positive asbestos test on jobs and the home owner has said it's ok we don't mind you scraping it though so they can save money. You just know that they phone other spreads hoping they won't test. We'll just open the windows when your scraping lol
I

Just a wee update. I was speaking to another local plasterer who had the same problem in a bathroom, bonded all the walls where tiles had been hacked off, next day it was all on the floor, he had used the same merchants as i did. So i was convinced there was a problem with the batch so went to another merchants and done a wee sample panel on the ceiling, went back the next day and it was absolutely solid. completed the job yesterday, left the bonding for about 4 hours to make sure it was fully set, dug into it with a trowel and there was no way it was coming off!

Just a wee update. I was speaking to another local plasterer who had the same problem in a bathroom, bonded all the walls where tiles had been hacked off, next day it was all on the floor, he had used the same merchants as i did. So i was convinced there was a problem with the batch so went to another merchants and done a wee sample panel on the ceiling, went back the next day and it was absolutely solid. completed the job yesterday, left the bonding for about 4 hours to make sure it was fully set, dug into it with a trowel and there was no way it was coming off!

You gonna have a word with bg now

Ive still got half a bag of the first stuff i used, im gonna put it on a bit of plasterboard and see what happens, if it scrapes off that ill be expecting a nice bit of credit for my local merchants courtesy of BG :RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.