Bonding coats

Busby1967

I have a section of brickwork that needs plastering, about 5ft x 1ft, that runs up one side of a recess for a cooker. The right side has a decent lip of fireboard with a straight edge but the left side joins onto Yorkshire stonework. It will need to be curved into the stone work in places. I'm quite happy using bonding and building up the layers and confident of getting a nice finish around the stonework. This will save a few hours of the plasterers costs as some sections are will take a bit of time to work in. The house is 130 years old so I'd actually prefer this curved look rather than crisp sharp even edges. My question is, I can do the bonding now and it's another job off the list, then leave for the plasterer to add a nice even skim over this section and the rest of the wall, but it may be 3 or 4 weeks before the plasterer comes. Can a bonded finish be plastered over after that long or does it need to be skimmed within a limited period?

I have a section of brickwork that needs plastering, about 5ft x 1ft, that runs up one side of a recess for a cooker. The right side has a decent lip of fireboard with a straight edge but the left side joins onto Yorkshire stonework. It will need to be curved into the stone work in places. I'm quite happy using bonding and building up the layers and confident of getting a nice finish around the stonework. This will save a few hours of the plasterers costs as some sections are will take a bit of time to work in. The house is 130 years old so I'd actually prefer this curved look rather than crisp sharp even edges. My question is, I can do the bonding now and it's another job off the list, then leave for the plasterer to add a nice even skim over this section and the rest of the wall, but it may be 3 or 4 weeks before the plasterer comes. Can a bonded finish be plastered over after that long or does it need to be skimmed within a limited period?
Ask the guys who's skimming it as its up to him how the wall should be prepped. But to answer your question, yes it can.

Yorkshire stone ye say?

here's jonny j bonding!.jpg

L
It wasn't a dig just leave the plastering to the plasterer seems a reasonable statement to me! Why not do the skimming yourself if you're going as far as bonding it? Pics please :coffe:
Left hand section. I've studied the back of the recess and dot and dabbed the side with fireboard and used flexiboard to cover some old uneven keystones that prop the lintel up.

Attachments

• 20210418_113830.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 149
Well let's hope you don't have to. But don't judge me when you don't know me. Plenty of cowboy plasterers about. You may be one!
Don’t take it too personally, plasterers are very meticulous with how they work ( the good ones anyway) and in most cases the plasterer would like to prep the area to be done. Definitely run it by your plasterer atleast I’d say