Boarding over Artex ceiling containing Asbestos

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeD

Private Member
Is there a way to board over Artex ceiling without disturbing the Artex. E.g. to find the joists?

Maybe using a good quality multi meter to locate joists, so no need to bash holes in ceiling?

Just hold your breath while you do it. Don't be such a wuss. When I were a lad, we used to eat asbestos for crib.

Its not minimal the amount I do! I've got a respirator, but the sh**te gets all over my clothes etc. Might ty one of those bosch multimeters £80 anyone tried them any good at finding joists?

if your clothes are covered in it,and you take them home...you take the asbestos with you.if you dont sheet up doorways properly...you contaminate the house.if your expensive mask doesnt fit properly you inhale it.if you remove asbestos without a licence you are breaking the law.i know...i have to deal with it:huh:
away ya could mark joists without having to resort to smashing holes in the ceiling is to use a long screw n a screw driver,find first joist measure across..find second.

Yep, a 50-75mm screw will find the joists, that's what I use most of the time. Do you need a license to remove ANY asbestos?

yeah....we use a licensed carrier....cheaper i spose.needs to be in special marked bags too....reckon they still tip it in landfill tho:rolleyes)

I've given a few ceilings a good long screw before, but ended up going back to smashing holes in them, was quicker to find centre of joists. Maybe i'll go back to the screw and get a good stud detector to.

All you need is a long thin screw driver , your lath hammer and a chalk line . go down one side of the room and where you think the joists start tap screwdriver up into the ceiling then when you hit the joist mark with a pencil .Then repeat the other side and ping the chalk line across opposite pencil marks giving you the line of the joists . Using a thin long screwdriver for this reduces dust and any need for big holes in the ceiling.

All you need is a long thin screw driver , your lath hammer and a chalk line . go down one side of the room and where you think the joists start tap screwdriver up into the ceiling then when you hit the joist mark with a pencil .Then repeat the other side and ping the chalk line across opposite pencil marks giving you the line of the joists . Using a thin long screwdriver for this reduces dust and any need for big holes in the ceiling.
. That's the way to do it:RpS_thumbup:

Going to be devils advocate here. What happens when the joists suddenly change direction because the need to support an upper level harth. ( as can be normal in older houses) or when the joists spring off in all directions as in newer trussed roofs and you have no other choice than to overboard that really dodgy diy artex . And when you get to the wall and theres no joist to fix to as its 2 inches away under a brick wall that was built after the lathing or tacking was done,and the4 nearest fixing is 450mm away from the edge.

Going to be devils advocate here. What happens when the joists suddenly change direction because the need to support an upper level harth. ( as can be normal in older houses) or when the joists spring off in all directions as in newer trussed roofs and you have no other choice than to overboard that really dodgy diy artex . And when you get to the wall and theres no joist to fix to as its 2 inches away under a brick wall that was built after the lathing or tacking was done,and the4 nearest fixing is 450mm away from the edge.

apply some no nails to the board where you cannot get any fixing.

to find joists ,.i work out which way the joists run, then just tap the ceiling with a hammer you can feel the solid tap where they are

You know that old crappy looking artex , all a bit flaky. Like you know even a coat of paint would pull it away.What then.?

If its a lath and plaster ceiling and you cant find the timber just fix into the joists you have and then fix into the laths where the missing timber should be but only screw fixings in slowly and make sure not to over screw , you will feel them bite . Not ideal i know but if needs must .Just remember to put plenty in, other than that take down and start again .

You know that old crappy looking artex , all a bit flaky. Like you know even a coat of paint would pull it away.What then.?

i have never yet seen an artex ceiling that i could not overboard. as beader says you can get the odd screw into the lath. if the artex was in that poor a condition i would guess that is was on a lime washed plaster ceiling,so overboarding would be my choice

Well I would've spotted that when I viewed the job :RpS_wink:
so I would get an asbestos test done first (customer pays)then if negative id scrape it or overboard it :RpS_thumbup:
If positive customer pays for removal by licensed contractors.
Then I come back to board & skim.
Job done :RpS_thumbup:

plaster dust is probably as or more harmfull because we are in it 8 - 10 hours a day probably without a mask but we worry about a tiny bit of asbestos now and again. iv the cough 2 prove it .

Well I would've spotted that when I viewed the job :RpS_wink:
so I would get an asbestos test done first (customer pays)then if negative id scrape it or overboard it :RpS_thumbup:
If positive customer pays for removal by licensed contractors.
Then I come back to board & skim.
Job done :RpS_thumbup:

Spot on .That should put this thread to an end now.

plaster dust is probably as or more harmfull because we are in it 8 - 10 hours a day probably without a mask but we worry about a tiny bit of asbestos now and again. iv the cough 2 prove it .

True, but wether we are worried or not, thesedays we can all get sued if the customer is clued up, I know a company it happened to when they sent their blokes to rip a ceiling down on an insurance job & the customer knew it contained asbestos so he filmed them ripping it down & filmed them throwing the rubbish in the back of their van.
I know because we did the job afterwards & the bloke showed us the vid :-0

the problem with asbestos is each particle has a little barb on it so if one rogue piece enters your lung it could fix it self to your lung killing the hairs that filter the water that we breath in, so it fills your lung with water therefore you drown ,that is called asbestosis

Problem with the screw method is you need to find the centre of the each joist, this can take ages, screwing to find the sides of the joists in order to find the middle.

I get realy confused with this topic. For 10yrs ive been either scraping or overboarding artex. I thought that it was supposed to be in such low levels that it was ok etc?.

I have to admit if everytime i turned up to either price or jump on a job i had to start requesting tests etc id never end up getting any work done never mind actualy land the jobs.

Im not for 1 minute saying that guys that do are wrong to do so its just i thought that everyone just cracked on with it?

Zombie

the problem with asbestos is each particle has a little barb on it so if one rogue piece enters your lung it could fix it self to your lung killing the hairs that filter the water that we breath in, so it fills your lung with water therefore you drown ,that is called asbestosis

yup but isnt silicosis what most plasterers get due 2 dust ??? might be wrong tho

I get realy confused with this topic. For 10yrs ive been either scraping or overboarding artex. I thought that it was supposed to be in such low levels that it was ok etc?.

I have to admit if everytime i turned up to either price or jump on a job i had to start requesting tests etc id never end up getting any work done never mind actualy land the jobs.

Im not for 1 minute saying that guys that do are wrong to do so its just i thought that everyone just cracked on with it?

Zombie

I used to do the same mate, until asbestos awareness & seeing people get sued etc.
I'm just covering myself :RpS_thumbup:
Builder I do some insurance work for now & then, we have to go on all these asbestos awareness & health & safety bollix to work on his jobs.
So i can't ignore it on my own jobs.
To be honest I'd rather loose a job than get sued :RpS_wink:

My dad's ex BREL carriageworks York. The stories he could tell you about asbestos would make you cringe.

If its an upstairs ceiling and the loft isn't boarded out you could bang a screwdriver down either side of the joists. As for lack of joists at the edge as mentioned you can put a screw into the lathe - plus I usually put a long one at an angle into the wall edge. Tapping the ceiling till you hear a joist is good as is pushing a screwdriver in or tapping a thin nail (ones from nail guns are good).

Status
Not open for further replies.