Boarded up doorways, avoiding hairlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't expecting replies til the morn! Thanks guys.

When you guys say bonding do you mean bond out the whole wall or just over the board?

Just around the gaps & feather it out, or whatever it needs, not too proud though.

Last edited:
Oh yes it will,!!!!'paper is the only thing that will stop it. Much stronger than scrim,you won't pull paper apart like you can with scrim,

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

A fellow paper taper on here, I never thought I would see it.
Do you tape your boards as a rule if you can?
There is a tape with glue already on the back so you soak it in water or run a sponge along it before sticking then 15 mins later you can skim. Wet n Stick I think it's called.

worked on a site once where some spreads were plastering a 4 bed house, they boarded over one of the bedroom doors making it a 3 bedroom, finished the house, got their money for a 4 bed house and f---ed off before before anyone realised
We had a boarder, go straight over an ensuite door once, the room had about 30 angles In it, so he just left it.

It can still crack with scrim ,board meets sand and cement ,it also happens with dabbed boards when scrimmed, paper tape is a pain in the arse but it doesn't crack

I wouldnt be scriming the jojnt because the board would go over the joint then dabbed on brickwork and scrim between existing plaster and board which shouldnt move cos of the dabs on brickwork , u cud even run a strip of dab all the way up then it wudnt budge

I wouldnt be scriming the jojnt because the board would go over the joint then dabbed on brickwork and scrim between existing plaster and board which shouldnt move cos of the dabs on brickwork , u cud even run a strip of dab all the way up then it wudnt budge

It will and it can,board meets sand and cement ,same thing plus you have the timber stud which will have more movement than brick work ,paper tape works just fine and you won't get a hairline crack ,and that not magic that's just how it is

The board would be say on the left fixed to the stud and goes across onto the brickwork dabbed all the way down the edge of the board so theres no movement what so ever scrim between board and existing , it wud have to pull the dabs off the wall to crack it really

With all due respect CT you do it your way ,I'm only just throwing my tuppence worth in ,my way doesn't crack and works for me for the sake of a couple of strips of paper tape and no call backs .

i1ve done this and actually bedded in externa ewi mesh in a tight coat oc skim then plastered over whole wall as norm hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.