Bit of advice

Members online

thanks guys, ill look into this
Your saying how can we tell the plasterer wasn’t at fault if we don’t know him. If he has used scrim tape on all the joins what other arsenal would he have in his van that would stop a ceiling cracking? I over boarded all the ceilings in my house and have had cracks come back through on the exact same places. Houses move and plaster doesn’t

Your saying how can we tell the plasterer wasn’t at fault if we don’t know him. If he has used scrim tape on all the joins what other arsenal would he have in his van that would stop a ceiling cracking? I over boarded all the ceilings in my house and have had cracks come back through on the exact same places. Houses move and plaster doesn’t

Seems like this has gone massively off point, in my original post I hoped that I had made it clear that I don't care whether he is at fault or not, just wanted some advice/feedback on my method of resolving the issue and a few responders seem to get a tad defensive.

If 600mm centres requires noggins and that is the standard ill happily take it on the chin - I'll learn from it and move on, I just wanted to know if there was an easier solution to my suggestion for resolving it and whether noggins only at the board joins is enough (so would be 1200mm apart) or whether I need them mid board also and at the room edges. Also whether me sending screws through the plastered ceiling to attach the board to the new noggins and then getting it replastered over is viable or whether having cracked plaster under the new plaster is likely to cause problems.

Hello @cerealuk, you mentioned the trusses were at 600 centers and a plasterboard is 1200 wide, have you fixed the boards along the trusses or at 90 degrees to the trusses cutting the boards at the centre of the truss?

Hello @cerealuk, you mentioned the trusses were at 600 centers and a plasterboard is 1200 wide, have you fixed the boards along the trusses or at 90 degrees to the trusses cutting the boards at the centre of the truss?

Evening, I fitted them at 90 degrees to the trusses (so 5 rows of screws in each full board)

ok so the only other thing is have you got the space above in use as a kids playroom or a pool table up there? maybe a Saturday night pole dancing club?

ok so the only other thing is have you got the space above in use as a kids playroom or a pool table up there? maybe a Saturday night pole dancing club?

haha I wish, nope all that is up there is loft space, cracks formed the moment the plaster dried

*sigh* of course a plasterer could never be at fault... plasterers are 100% perfect at all times - sorry if you thought that I suggested otherwise

Anyway back on track, I'm not sure I ever asked for opinions on who's fault it was - I was asking for some advice as to how to move forward (retrospective battens)

Again ever so sorry if I have offended your feelings...
Well so long as he scrimmed the joints properly then he's obviously not at fault.....
I don't board either. Its f**k**g shite

Well so long as he scrimmed the joints properly then he's obviously not at fault.....
I don't board either. Its f**k**g shite
Boarding is not shite no more than dentistry is shite or sailing is shite.
If you are not competent to sail or pull teeth or put a few boards up then it is YOU who is shite.
No offence Simon boarding is simple!

If you are not competent to sail or pull teeth or put a few boards up then it is YOU who is shite.
I don't like it. We don't have to do it. Seperate boarders or joiners normally do it. I don't care, your opinion means nothing to me

Last edited:
Also I don't remember saying I couldn't board. I said I didn't. I don't like it, I have no wish to do it. I won't do it if someone else will do it.

sincerely honestly cerealuk,i like getting replies like this ,it shows i have hit a nerve/sorepoint/bullseye,but you still have not answered my colleagues question,
1.did you board it
2. did you stagger the joints
3.are you a fireman or engineer or a teacher
4.honest answers to above would explain a lot

Or farmer?

Good evening, wondering if I could pick your collective brains please? :)

I have recently purchased a house that needed a full renovation. The ceilings were artex and in a bad way (looks like the central heating guy had put his foot through a few of them when trying to fit the new system a couple of years prior and there was some water damage). I decided to rip them all down and start again.

it is a bungalow and the roof trusses are 600mm centres so I put up new 12.5mm plasterboard, what I didnt do though was install noggins (I have read that 600 centres is fine with 12.5mm board - though it seems there are ongoing debates about that within the trade). The plasterer came in and skimmed 4 of my ceilings, however a few days later when dried I noticed some cracks where the joints were. Now I am 99% sure he scrimmed them and 2 coats were used however nasty cracks have formed in all rooms in places.

Situation is that the plaster refuses to accept that he could be at fault etc etc but that aside my solution currently (unless anyone else has suggestions) is to spend this weekend installing noggins then to have the ceilings all reskimmed. My plan is as follows:

1) pop up into loft and look down so I can see the joints in the plasterboard.
2) install noggins using 38 x 58 CLS by placing over the joints and screwing into the trusses
3) make small pilot holes in a few places to the side of the noggins so I can see where they are from below
4) use these hols as a guide to fire a lot of screws through the plastered board into the noggins
5) get the ceilings reskimmed (which the joints being rescrimmed again (using the new screws as a guide)

does this sound like a sensible approach or am I missed something? Also will it need 2 new coats (making it 4 total)?

Cheers
600mm centres is to far apart for any fkin board

waste of time re-skimming plus it's extra weight on boards and could add to problem more......just easi-fill n sand cracks and screwheads

600mm centres is to far apart for any fkin board

waste of time re-skimming plus it's extra weight on boards and could add to problem more......just easi-fill n sand cracks and screwheads
Always 600 centres pal on downstairs ceilings in new builds nowadays,there say just use 15mm boards,even walls I'd say 50% of time depending which house builder are 600 centres aswell

Yep standard practice is 600 centres it's the norm.the reason his boards have sagged because he used 12.5mm boards as theres a massive difference..but hes a cock so I'm not bothered
giphy (29).gif

you must say to mrs.cerealuk,i am so pleased i went on that plasterers forum,right from the start intresting positive comments , all good and very helpful those lads,sign off from here ,go back to work on the ceiling a smile,a whistle,perhaps a little song as you work,.....no no ,no need to thank us cerealuk just doing our jobs,now turn this horse around hector and ride off into the sunset

you must say to mrs.cerealuk,i am so pleased i went on that plasterers forum,right from the start intresting positive comments , all good and very helpful those lads,sign off from here ,go back to work on the ceiling a smile,a whistle,perhaps a little song as you work,.....no no ,no need to thank us cerealuk just doing our jobs,now turn this horse around hector and ride off into the sunset

You been on the drink?

Good evening, wondering if I could pick your collective brains please? :)

I have recently purchased a house that needed a full renovation. The ceilings were artex and in a bad way (looks like the central heating guy had put his foot through a few of them when trying to fit the new system a couple of years prior and there was some water damage). I decided to rip them all down and start again.

it is a bungalow and the roof trusses are 600mm centres so I put up new 12.5mm plasterboard, what I didnt do though was install noggins (I have read that 600 centres is fine with 12.5mm board - though it seems there are ongoing debates about that within the trade). The plasterer came in and skimmed 4 of my ceilings, however a few days later when dried I noticed some cracks where the joints were. Now I am 99% sure he scrimmed them and 2 coats were used however nasty cracks have formed in all rooms in places.

Situation is that the plaster refuses to accept that he could be at fault etc etc but that aside my solution currently (unless anyone else has suggestions) is to spend this weekend installing noggins then to have the ceilings all reskimmed. My plan is as follows:

1) pop up into loft and look down so I can see the joints in the plasterboard.
2) install noggins using 38 x 58 CLS by placing over the joints and screwing into the trusses
3) make small pilot holes in a few places to the side of the noggins so I can see where they are from below
4) use these hols as a guide to fire a lot of screws through the plastered board into the noggins
5) get the ceilings reskimmed (which the joints being rescrimmed again (using the new screws as a guide)

does this sound like a sensible approach or am I missed something? Also will it need 2 new coats (making it 4 total)?

Cheers
If it’s 600 centres u need 15mm ceiling board to stop the sag, I’d say it’s your fault, phone your plasterer back up and apologies

1) I boarded it
2) Yes I did stagger the joints
3) None of the above lol

To give some background, I dont claim to be any kind of expert but I have boarded a large number of ceilings in the past and this is the first time I have had a problem - most have been 400mm centres (this is only the 2nd house I have done which has had 600mm centres with the last one having no problems at all).

I'm not tight with money by any stretch, just I like to do what I can myself and then stop and get someone in when I hit my limits (plastering being one of those things), yes I'll f**k things up from time to time but thats part and parcel of DIY and I will learn and redo it - more often than not everything goes well so the good far outweighs the bad and I enjoy it. If you read my original post I really dont care if he's at fault or I am, what I was hoping for I some non judgmental advice as to my next steps to correct it. e.g is the idea of installing noggins with the board in situ from above, re-screwing from below and then getting a plasterer to re-scrim and plaster over it again a viable option? Currently there is no insulation in place so its dead easy for me to crack on with it. If I do go for the above do I just noggin the joints (so they are 1200mm apart or do I need some in the middle of the board also?

Side note for reference the plasterer was well aware that I didnt use noggins and never raised it as an issue, he also noticed the cracks part way through the job but continued to work on another ceiling without letting me know and only told me once all the work was complete.
Get some pics up

You been on the drink?
p.s. well done for sticking with this forum for so long,just banter but you have a dry sense of humour,goes well on here,..........so anyhooooooooooo what was your question
Its all good, i give s**t so expect it back lol. Think ive manage to sift through the sassyness and take something useful away from it all so am working through it now. Have been putting noggins in from above carefully, once done ill chuck the insulation back up and will fill and sand the cracks.. if fill and sand fixes then great.. if not then i have noggins to drill into before a replaster as a plan B. Anything to avoid shifting insulation more than i have to.. nasty s**t.

If it’s 600 centres u need 15mm ceiling board to stop the sag, I’d say it’s your fault, phone your plasterer back up and apologies
I never blamed the plasterer... i paid the guy same day and said "s**t happens lets figure it out" and left it at that...