Bit of advice lads for expanding client base....

john simpson

Based in Northern Ireland and things getting busier past year so i gave up a few other interests i had and am now on the tools more or less full time.
Too old and out of the game too long to be knocking out site houses , ill leave that to the young uns.
So focusing on small builders and direct to client in domestic.

I reckon i could do with one or maybe two more small builders but really need more clients looking rooms skimmed etc.
As ive been doing something else and changed my number away years ago i have lost a good lot of built up connections.
What i want is to be mostly client based and using the builders to fill in the gaps.

So i need to advertise , looked into these mybuilders etc but not interested in that , looks like a race to the bottom but ill keep an eye on it for anything that comes up.
What i did notice was CheckMyTrade , that seems a fair enough service but crazy expensive without knowing if you'll even get a job! ( no trust in the MBG offered.) Quoted close to £1000!
Building a website and facebook page , any advice on Facebook? Just fire a load of invites out?
Also leaflets and ads in the local paper? are they still effective?

Any advice or that on what's most effective to expand?
Mostly be working on my own with a labourer the odd time with view to making a 2&1 if the work comes in regular.
I also want to invoice everything , all insurance etc etc , all 100% above board ( well 99% )

Any advice appreciated :)

I advertise in my local magazine and have a website. Really recommend the local ones. Get a nice frenphone calls a week and don't have to travel far. Hopefully it continues!

I advertise in my local magazine and have a website. Really recommend the local ones. Get a nice frenphone calls a week and don't have to travel far. Hopefully it continues!

DO you mind me asking roughly how much it costs?
I had an advert away years ago and got a decent bit of work from it but they ended up hassling me for years to put new ads in , i had to block their number! So im a bit put off by that but if its cheap enough ill consider it

it takes time to start up any business and it is hard work.
domestics a lot of 1 day jobs. you do not need a labourer on these jobs 2 plasterers working together is better.
small builders are ok if they have money. a waste of time if you are going to be stopped 20% tax.
i think your business plan has holes in it.

it takes time to start up any business and it is hard work.
domestics a lot of 1 day jobs. you do not need a labourer on these jobs 2 plasterers working together is better.
small builders are ok if they have money. a waste of time if you are going to be stopped 20% tax.
i think your business plan has holes in it.

Im sort of halfway there , couple of my builders went on to other things so i want to replace them but wanting to build up more domestic clients.
With my builders two want invoices and stop tax on the CIS , i offer them quality work , no headaches and guarantee ill book time if they give me a weeks notice , they pay me well for that so no issues there but obv i want more own clients!
I want to keep better records and I feel offer a better service so i have been invoicing a lot of jobs , i think it looks more professional to the client and means i can actually see if its worth my while , rather than running about with the donkey choker.
On a lot of domestic i feel i should have a labourer , i want to learn a young lad thats keen and it makes my job so much easier and happier to do a couple of jobs a day if someone else is cleaning up and mixing , i bring a lad in the odd time and i feel hes worth the money , when your invoicing you add him on anyways , i want to give a labourer a job and learn them. Ive give this a lot of thought the past year , seems it expected now not to have a labourer but i think its not right , always had a labourer years ago on doms and dont see why i should make life harder for myself now for the sake of a few quid. Too many jobs i finish and clean up and could head to another but cant be arsed covering up again and getting all the tools out and mixing and cleaning etc , when i have the lad with me , we go to the other job.

Anyways appreciate the reply , what would you change about my plan?
Anyone any experience of CheckaTrade?

Based in Northern Ireland and things getting busier past year so i gave up a few other interests i had and am now on the tools more or less full time.
Too old and out of the game too long to be knocking out site houses , ill leave that to the young uns.
So focusing on small builders and direct to client in domestic.

I reckon i could do with one or maybe two more small builders but really need more clients looking rooms skimmed etc.
As ive been doing something else and changed my number away years ago i have lost a good lot of built up connections.
What i want is to be mostly client based and using the builders to fill in the gaps.

So i need to advertise , looked into these mybuilders etc but not interested in that , looks like a race to the bottom but ill keep an eye on it for anything that comes up.
What i did notice was CheckMyTrade , that seems a fair enough service but crazy expensive without knowing if you'll even get a job! ( no trust in the MBG offered.) Quoted close to £1000!
Building a website and facebook page , any advice on Facebook? Just fire a load of invites out?
Also leaflets and ads in the local paper? are they still effective?

Any advice or that on what's most effective to expand?
Mostly be working on my own with a labourer the odd time with view to making a 2&1 if the work comes in regular.
I also want to invoice everything , all insurance etc etc , all 100% above board ( well 99% )

Any advice appreciated :)

Have you asked the builders you do work for? I get quite a few enquiries for stuff that I don't do as 'stand alone' work. Plumbing , plastering etc so I pass it onto the individual trades. If they know you're after those sort of jobs they'll pass it on as it makes sense to help the customer and the trades to keep them sweet. There have been a few jobs that have come later for me from those.

Oh, and if they ask for a sweetener or drink out of it tell them to get fcuked. (y)

If it's domestic work you are pushing then website, van sign writing, business cards in shop windows. I'm considering getting some "a boards" done and site signs etc. I've noticed guys that park their vans on busy roads on purpose so all the passing traffic sees the sign writing. Stuff like that.

Unfortunately they have to, it's the law. So not so much wasting time, as avoiding doing it.
I know builders stop your CIS, in return you should get a CIS statement to prove your tax has been paid. Malc was on about small builders being a waste of time if they stop your tax? Don't understand that?

I know builders stop your CIS, in return you should get a CIS statement to prove your tax has been paid. Malc was on about small builders being a waste of time if they stop your tax? Don't understand that?

I don't either TBH. The size of the company has nothing to do with it, if you pay someone to do work on a job you're doing for someone else then you are a contractor and they are a sub-contractor and as a contractor you have to register as such. https://www.gov.uk/what-is-the-construction-industry-scheme

I have to pay everyone that does work on a job for me through CIS, 20% deduction if they're registered, 30% if they're not as per the rules. Doing it any other way would land me in a world of sh1t, with HMRC and also my PL insurance.

i know you have to pay tax, but you are better off doing a deal with the tax office at the end of the year . the tax office can put you under investigation at any time they want , you will not receive any repayment of tax and it usually takes about 5 years to sort out. the money is a lot safer in your bank account then in the tax office. for a good deal get the builder to ask the customer to pay you direct.

Just paid £220 for a 4 month package half page advert in local magazine in quite a well off area full of retired folk. Will let you know if it works out

If it's domestic work you are pushing then website, van sign writing, business cards in shop windows. I'm considering getting some "a boards" done and site signs etc. I've noticed guys that park their vans on busy roads on purpose so all the passing traffic sees the sign writing. Stuff like that.

Yeah couple of builders say they get a good bit of work from the sign , neighbors dont want to call in face to face but take the number.
CheckaTrade offering van signage with their package

I don't either TBH. The size of the company has nothing to do with it, if you pay someone to do work on a job you're doing for someone else then you are a contractor and they are a sub-contractor and as a contractor you have to register as such. https://www.gov.uk/what-is-the-construction-industry-scheme

I have to pay everyone that does work on a job for me through CIS, 20% deduction if they're registered, 30% if they're not as per the rules. Doing it any other way would land me in a world of sh1t, with HMRC and also my PL insurance.

I get all money paid into my bank account and that sorts it all out , means i have a record of payment and can work tax out if anyone asks.

Im sort of halfway there , couple of my builders went on to other things so i want to replace them but wanting to build up more domestic clients.
With my builders two want invoices and stop tax on the CIS , i offer them quality work , no headaches and guarantee ill book time if they give me a weeks notice , they pay me well for that so no issues there but obv i want more own clients!
I want to keep better records and I feel offer a better service so i have been invoicing a lot of jobs , i think it looks more professional to the client and means i can actually see if its worth my while , rather than running about with the donkey choker.
On a lot of domestic i feel i should have a labourer , i want to learn a young lad thats keen and it makes my job so much easier and happier to do a couple of jobs a day if someone else is cleaning up and mixing , i bring a lad in the odd time and i feel hes worth the money , when your invoicing you add him on anyways , i want to give a labourer a job and learn them. Ive give this a lot of thought the past year , seems it expected now not to have a labourer but i think its not right , always had a labourer years ago on doms and dont see why i should make life harder for myself now for the sake of a few quid. Too many jobs i finish and clean up and could head to another but cant be arsed covering up again and getting all the tools out and mixing and cleaning etc , when i have the lad with me , we go to the other job.

Anyways appreciate the reply , what would you change about my plan?
Anyone any experience of CheckaTrade?

the most important part of plastering is getting the quote correct. a bit of prep and 1 hit per day not charging round to a second contract.
what is the point of teaching a labourer to plaster? he can go and get stuck into an apprenticeship like we had to.

i know you have to pay tax, but you are better off doing a deal with the tax office at the end of the year . the tax office can put you under investigation at any time they want , you will not receive any repayment of tax and it usually takes about 5 years to sort out. the money is a lot safer in your bank account then in the tax office. for a good deal get the builder to ask the customer to pay you direct.

I tried this last year and didnt like it , i found it hard to keep track of what i was getting in , i tried to pay everything into my account but missed a fair bit and that messed up my invoices and meant i had a pretty big bill.
Easier for me to use CIS and get it taken at source and claim each year.

the most important part of plastering is getting the quote correct. a bit of prep and 1 hit per day not charging round to a second contract.
what is the point of teaching a labourer to plaster? he can go and get stuck into an apprenticeship like we had to.

one hit and its perfect to get those stupid wee jobs out of the way after , no fun doing it on your own with all the faff.
Lad can go to college if he wants , suits me , i only need him a few days a week but i want to offer that rather than just use him now and then , no use to nobody and hes a good worker , just needs a wee bit of help to get started.

I have checkatrade get calls of it all the time! half of the time a plasterer has been in and f**k*d up the job. Then I go in and f**k it up even more suckers.

I have checkatrade get calls of it all the time! half of the time a plasterer has been in and f**k*d up the job. Then I go in and f**k it up even more suckers.

lol , do you get enough to justify the big pricetag , they are quoting me £948!
Out of all the ones ive looked at it seems the best and im very tempted, seems a modern way of a trade advert

lol , do you get enough to justify the big pricetag , they are quoting me £948!
Out of all the ones ive looked at it seems the best and im very tempted, seems a modern way of a trade advert
I paid about 870 just for the site page got the money back and more in first two jobs of the week it got put up. But that might be just luck or where you are based? Few of them are builders that have been let down which is handy as you get your foot in the door. and a lot of repeat customers. I would recommend it to start off as the customer can see your reviews and gives them confidence and you will get recommended from there.

I paid about 870 just for the site page got the money back and more in first two jobs of the week it got put up. But that might be just luck or where you are based? Few of them are builders that have been let down which is handy as you get your foot in the door. and a lot of repeat customers. I would recommend it to start off as the customer can see your reviews and gives them confidence and you will get recommended from there.

cheers appreciate that.
Id be delighted if i got 10k over the year from it , be well worth the investment , would let it roll over too!
Fair play you did well from it.
Im gonna hold out and see if they offer a discount , im pretty certain they will call me back

MyBuilder is good and Gumtree.

Thanks
Joined MyBuilder but don't like how its set up , tenner just to get shortlisted but ill give it a go and see.

Gumtree wants £25 for an advert , that would be down the bottom of the page in a matter of hours so more to promote it.
Another one i might try but not keen on that either.

cheers appreciate that.
Id be delighted if i got 10k over the year from it , be well worth the investment , would let it roll over too!
Fair play you did well from it.
Im gonna hold out and see if they offer a discount , im pretty certain they will call me back
Yea have a think about it I was curious at first but went for it and it has worked well it's the only one I would recommend as there very helpful to all you have to do Is give your report cards to the customer make sure they send them off and it will keep you on top of the web page.

Thanks
Joined MyBuilder but don't like how its set up , tenner just to get shortlisted but ill give it a go and see.

Gumtree wants £25 for an advert , that would be down the bottom of the page in a matter of hours so more to promote it.
Another one i might try but not keen on that either.
The key to MyBuilder is getting some reviews to get you started so you can hit the ground running. I got my sisters to register and put a couple of imaginary small jobs on there and then to pick me and leave good reviews just to get a few reviews on the board. It cost about a tenner but it snowballed after that. But its best to have many irons in the fire

The key to MyBuilder is getting some reviews to get you started so you can hit the ground running. I got my sisters to register and put a couple of imaginary small jobs on there and then to pick me and leave good reviews just to get a few reviews on the board. It cost about a tenner but it snowballed after that. But its best to have many irons in the fire

Clever :) maybe a bit dodgy but i can get over that as ive done work for the family so not entirely false :)

You also put up an imaginary job on here and I reviewed it, you had many calls? Lol

Just went on to mybuilder for my local area, loads of guys on there that I've never heard of. All got 100% reviews probably battling it out between each other for rubbish rates.