Big ceiling.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye crates are abit lowers , harder to get now than they used to be years a go .........
Just thought the local shop just round the corner has tons of em. He lent me a few to prop up some ancient fan heaters he also lent me when I was trying to dry our kitchen out before we refitted it. The crates worked at least haha

I once taped some 6 inch Celotex to my trainers to reach a ceiling in a loft.
Didn't have crate and hop up was a Nause on the slope.
I cut out squares, taped to my trainers then I cut round with a dry wall saw.
Done the trick a treat!

I once taped some 6 inch Celotex to my trainers to reach a ceiling in a loft.
Didn't have crate and hop up was a Nause on the slope.
I cut out squares, taped to my trainers then I cut round with a dry wall saw.
Done the trick a treat!
I like the thought o' that mate!
Heh heh!

If u can get that deal get plenty , u can double them up and baton also , even if ur hop ups around the same height that better lol if u get w ceiling that height it stops the problem of ur thread :)

Many different ways i know the easy way skimming u want scaff, boarding u can float along with a few trestles hop ups etc and batons .

Last edited:
Cement mixer ... And dumpy buckets etc plus stock up on beads etc mate , buy more in bulk that per job and than would pay for the garage plus more if ur busy

did you do the ceiling then?
Not yet Dan.
Client wasn't available so had an unexpected day off!
Doing the smaller ceilings tomorrow and the big un next week.
Got a shiny new spat in the post too!
Will defo put some pics up as soon as....

Hombres,
As promised here are some photos of the (relatively) large ceiling from last week.
Thanks to all for your help and advice.

For the record, you'll be amused to know that what could've gone wrong did go wrong.....
Baking hot weather, labourer spilt the second mix and then my paddle mixer broke down during mix of final laying down coat.
Just managed to rescue it but would've been dead in the water if I hadn't ordered that magical ezespat (cheers Marshy!)
Room for improvement but I'm fairly chuffed with it (the curves were a b#$tard though)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 386
Hombres,
As promised here are some photos of the (relatively) large ceiling from last week.

For the record, you'll be amused to know that what could've gone wrong did go wrong.....
Baking hot weather, labourer spilt the second mix and then my paddle mixer broke down during mix of final laying down coat.
Just managed to rescue it but would've been dead in the water if I hadn't ordered that magical ezespat (cheers Marshy!)
Room for improvement but I'm fairly chuffed with it (the curves were a b#$tard though)

View attachment 6573 View attachment 6574 View attachment 6575
When are u doing the large ceiling??

Well, that was it mate. Like it says: a (relatively) large ceiling.
Large for me, brother! :LOL:

Try get in the habit of taking the walls down further , even throw a bit of bonding or finish to dub them out before skimming.
You must be just starting out?
Preparation is the key , try to control the suction and it comes easier.
Try to put the stuff on evenly and a fair swipe , like top to middle of wall and bottom to middle.
With the ceiling try to get to the centre with one swipe.
And follow that all the way.
Looks fair enough but you will get pulled on the skirting and some of the finish looks ropey due to you taking short swipes.
Them rounds are tricky so well done on them.

The ceiling is a fair size , maybe worth decking them out when they seem a bit big for you?
I remember doing my first major room , wish id learnt to be a spark instead ;)

Try get in the habit of taking the walls down further , even throw a bit of bonding or finish to dub them out before skimming.
You must be just starting out?
Preparation is the key , try to control the suction and it comes easier.
Try to put the stuff on evenly and a fair swipe , like top to middle of wall and bottom to middle.
With the ceiling try to get to the centre with one swipe.
And follow that all the way.
Looks fair enough but you will get pulled on the skirting and some of the finish looks ropey due to you taking short swipes.
Them rounds are tricky so well done on them.

The ceiling is a fair size , maybe worth decking them out when they seem a bit big for you?
I remember doing my first major room , wish id learnt to be a spark instead ;)

Cheers for the advice John, actually tried that today with the hall and stairs and it's made a massive difference to the finish (went on easier and obviously faster too)
What do you mean regarding the addition of bonding?

Hombres,

View attachment 6573 View attachment 6574 View attachment 6575
My pleasure pal glad the eze spat helped and the more you get used to it the better you get and bigger ceilings are so much easier (y)

My pleasure pal glad the eze spat helped and the more you get used to it the better you get and bigger ceilings are so much easier (y)
Cheers Marshy. One question: I bought the pole for it (slightly miffed as they have the extendables back in stock now but never mind) do you find it best to push it or pull it on ceilings?

When your filling the bottom of the wall , mix a small bucket of bonding to do it.
I tend to use left over finish from the ceiling as id be doing it all in one day but your better doing it with bonding.

Yeah next straight wall you get try putting more on with one trowel and kind of follow that right to finish.
Plenty of people on here will give you advice.

I would also leave the spat for now , use it now and then since you've bought it.
But get into the habit of being confident with the trowel.
What size of MT are you using? try 14" on the easier walls and smaller on the awkward bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.