Big ceiling.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_indio

Question or 2 for ye all....
I'm Halfway through plastering a house, re-skimming every room, some over boarding.
Gone fine thus far but have been putting off the large lounge ceiling....but it's ceiling time now.
Firstly, have pva'd twice as per usual but even with a labourer I'm probably going to have to do it in 2 hits using stop beads or scrim tape method
I've used this before on a couple of walls here and there and it's worked fine but just wondering whether it's better to get on with the second half of the job while the first is still green? Or is it best to let the first half go off over night and then do the second half the next day?
Would like to limit the possibility of a hairline appearing later, so want to ask which is best

Also, I noticed on an old thread mention of using cream of tartar to slow the mix down.
Seemed to have been mixed reports on it, so want to ask if anyone use this recently in their skim? Any advice on quantities etc?
Perhaps would mean I get the time to do it in one go.
Cheers all!

If your gonna do it in two, do it same day, even though 1st set will be hard, with a bit of elbow grease you can work it in and it will allow it but personally, hit in 1 and hit it hard

We still don't know how big it is ffs???

It's probably not that massive for a plasterer with more experience. I'd say it's Approx 30 sq m, large for me as I'm not the quickest.
Fortunately not too high so can use hop up but awkward curved areas won't make it any easier.
Have a labourer on hand, would rather do it in one hit so if cream of tartar actually works I'd prefer to give that a go.

It's probably not that massive for a plasterer with more experience. I'd say it's Approx 30 sq m, large for me as I'm not the quickest.
Fortunately not too high so can use hop up but awkward curved areas won't make it any easier.
Have a labourer on hand, would rather do it in one hit so if cream of tartar actually works I'd prefer to give that a go.
Just mix one bag at a time (rolling gauge) you will piss it mate and put some pics up too (y)(y)

Stilts and sweat :fuckyou:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 335
You will be fine mate. It's when people panic then there's a problem! ? Mixing a bag at a time you will have all the time you need (even if your not the quickest and not meant in a derogatory fashion ) just don't panic! ! A spat I'd a big help tho flattening between coats etc

You will be fine mate. It's when people panic then there's a problem! ? Mixing a bag at a time you will have all the time you need (even if your not the quickest and not meant in a derogatory fashion ) just don't panic! ! A spat I'd a big help tho flattening between coats etc
Cheers Marshy! Not derogatory at all, I know my limitations so take things steady whatever I'm doing. I've skimmed boarded ceilings before no problem, but I've had to blue grit this one for Thursday because previous owners thought gloss was a good look. Grrrr
I was looking at a speedskim the other day...EZ spat's better then?

Skimming ceilings using a hop up would drive me mad.Stilts or deck it out.

Skimming ceilings using a hop up would drive me mad.Stilts or deck it out.
Ceilings are not high enough. If anything it'd be easier if they were a foot higher. I could pretty much trowel standing directly on the floor but lose range like that.

Preparation is key , check all screws/nails are flush. All scrim flat ( do no harm to mix a yellow bucket to coat scrim before you start)
Make sure you have all the bags up , water etc , you dont want to run into stupid stuff with half it on!

One bag at a time and you be grand , roll sleeves up and get the 1st coat on , then wash everything up and 2nd coat on the looser side and close it all in , be easier than you think!
One tip if your doing it off hop up , check how far you can trowel back and go round all the sides and then fill the middle in.

Cheers Marshy! Not derogatory at all, I know my limitations so take things steady whatever I'm doing. I've skimmed boarded ceilings before no problem, but I've had to blue grit this one for Thursday because previous owners thought gloss was a good look. Grrrr
I was looking at a speedskim the other day...EZ spat's better then?
You will be fine bag at a time and dont panic as that is the plasterers worse enemy (apart from bad payers)

Preparation is key , check all screws/nails are flush. All scrim flat ( do no harm to mix a yellow bucket to coat scrim before you start)
Make sure you have all the bags up , water etc , you dont want to run into stupid stuff with half it on!

One bag at a time and you be grand , roll sleeves up and get the 1st coat on , then wash everything up and 2nd coat on the looser side and close it all in , be easier than you think!
One tip if your doing it off hop up , check how far you can trowel back and go round all the sides and then fill the middle in.
Cheers for the advice John, you a Crass fan btw?

This thread reminds me of When I was just out of my time I threw 4 bags on in one hit with a labourer pushing me round on the scaffhold nearly pulled it off aswel. I ended up doing a bit of filling round the spot lights once it was painted but it was flat my advice would be stick with the tools your use too ask the lab to mix your plaster a bit wetter than your use to no breaks in between trowels and have the lab on standby to mix a fresh mix

Status
Not open for further replies.