Best way to over come artex ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always PVA at least the day before so it gives the PVA a chance to dry properly and seal the artex, then another one before plastering. I've found in the past that if you PVA same day as plastering. You don't allow the artex to be sealed properly allowing for all the moisture in the plaster to penetrate the artex and re emulsify. Haven't had any problems since doing this.
But plaster reemulsifies pva which will inturn re emulisify the artex surely? Again i think youve just been lucky so far. Artex sealer or paint are the only way to seal artex properly. Even then you dont know if its been artexed over old dodgy wallpaper which ive seen and heard of a few times. The added weight and pressure can cause it to debond.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I've heard of people mixing multi finish with bonding to cover artex is that a common thing to do or a bad practice?

That's zombies magic mix. It works fine. But it's just a few handfuls. I think. Three or four handfuls works for me. I've never had one fail on me. I've never boarded over Artex. Have had a few burst like badgerrrs but half an hour later you're hot to trot again. Hate all this plastering political correctness crap

Only ask coz I've got my eye on the kitchen celing at my parents house I fancy doin just for fun coz I enjoy plastering and every bit of experience helps

it would be more work as like you say you would still have to give it 2 coats of multi, but ive worked on quite a few jobs where the builders insist on doing it this way

I'll give it a bash if it fails it's not like it's a paying job and plus I can just clean up the mess and over board haha

Only ask coz I've got my eye on the kitchen celing at my parents house I fancy doin just for fun coz I enjoy plastering and every bit of experience helps
If u can post a photo of the artex pattern we can advise ya ...most are ok for 2 coats of skim ..the zombie magic mix is for thicker patterns

The way I was taught was always bond ceilings with bonding and a touch of finish, close in the bonding as it firms or you could run the Eze spat over it straight away.give it a devil float just before it sets, Then skim. Perfect job every time. Sounds alot of work but it's not really.

Still only 2 coats overall just makes it much easier to cover and I believe it grips and nips into the background better..I use it for loafs of backgrounds on re-skim work
Oh okay thought it was for the thicker stuff..

No worries hopefully you be jacking in that technique and swapping to my 2016 technique when your pallet gets delivered ..:sisi:
:birra:

James has it right, no need to left first coat set, just put first one on, flatten, and have a brew, then lay it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh okay thought it was for the thicker stuff..

No worries hopefully you be jacking in that technique and swapping to my 2016 technique when your pallet gets delivered ..:sisi:
:birra:

I will still want to use 2 scoops of bonding to a bag of finish on all artex and refurb work with the unifinish I don't think it will do any harm...just gives it a bit of body but keeps your gear wet instead of to thick to spread easy!

Same thing happened just before Christmas to me! So annoying!! But didn't lose out as I always recommend an overboard in the quote and if they decide to ignore my advice and take the skimming option then I have written in the quote that I will still require payment if it does fail as they've gone against my advice.

Yup use to do the same

to be honest it happens so rarely it did not worry me and if it does happen it normally happens on the last trowel... There was only one time it happened the following day but that was not a big deal just boshed some boards up and the jobs a goodn but the customer paid me again and I was happy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.