Best way to bodge this

Members online

At the end of the day each to their own and everyone has their method but I wouldn't skim it and if cheap landlord wanted it skimmed I'd just say no and move on

Yeah exactly that's fair enough... i was taught differently i guess. Rarely i'll
Over board. Never had an issue. Preparation is key. If that paper scrapes off.. which it will.. if ceiling is solid I cannot see a reason to
Board

All i see is a skimming ceiling that's being papered.

He basically wants to over board because he can't be arsed to remove paper. Fair enough.

Id quick dash pva as this will peel the paper off, pva again ready to go in 20 mins. You'd still be bringing the boards in.

Proper preparation is the key. You clueless fucks just overboard everything i see it constantly especially with artex.

I remember one ceiling i went to was treble boarded.
You must be slow at getting boards

Also I'd never even consider skimming it if I thought it would fall. Id also over board.

If that ceiling is scraped of all paper etc. Decent pva. Give me one reason it would fail?

Here's one just done, had to level this n skim 10 meter long. The smaller room had been over boarded by last spread. I pulled it down to save over boarding the other 8 meters. Guess what was under it? Bit of artex .

Bonded out level to main room n skim lot perfectly flat . Never had one fall and all my works guaranteed
You have the same broom as Vincey.......I smell a rat:confused:

That's part of it mate though, for all the faff of sorting it it's as quick to board....I do a lot of overboard if it's got cracks I straight away say overboard is my only option as can't be arsed with call backs...if it looks grim and different suctions same as I can't be bothered making my life hard. So far I've never bonded a ceiling as would sooner board and have a nice easy set when done

That's part of it mate though, for all the faff of sorting it it's as quick to board....I do a lot of overboard if it's got cracks I straight away say overboard is my only option as can't be arsed with call backs...if it looks grim and different suctions same as I can't be bothered making my life hard. So far I've never bonded a ceiling as would sooner board and have a nice easy set when done

Fair enough but I think that's the real reason .. an easy skim on board.

I guess on little ceilings it's neither here or there. But I'm thinking big ceilings, the cost of boards.. the time of getting boards, upstairs etc etc ..

I do over-board when needed, I just find that isn't often. Every ceiling is different and I think with proper prep the end result is the same. If the ceiling isn't solid it gets a re-fix, 10 mins handfull of screws. Any cracks are taped. You can over-board all you like, if there is movement in joists it will still crack.

It's worked for me and the old boy who trained me, we both have solid reputations. It isn't about cutting corners it's about experience.

@essexandy @malc i'd be interested in these guys opinions on this

I guess on little ceilings it's neither here or there. But I'm thinking big ceilings, the cost of boards.. the time of getting boards, upstairs etc etc ..

I do over-board when needed, I just find that isn't often. Every ceiling is different and I think with proper prep the end result is the same. If the ceiling isn't solid it gets a re-fix, 10 mins handfull of screws. Any cracks are taped. You can over-board all you like, if there is movement in joists it will still crack.

It's worked for me and the old boy who trained me, we both have solid reputations. It isn't about cutting corners it's about experience.

If it's a board ceiling with a few cracks I will screw back up but never bother on old ones, lot of subsidence round me and seems like a lost cause

I'm doing a load of bathrooms at mo.

Tiny rooms, and yes I'm removing a block work wall, so I'd need to tack a bit of board in , but they're cracking, have been painted about a hundred times, so just better to overboard.
Thing I've found with bathrooms a d kitchens, is the ceilings tend to get painted in silk, gloss over the years. Landlord gets hoppo in to lash b and q emulsion over everything, so might look sound, but a disaster waiting to happen.

Had a kitchen a few months back. Had one hairline crack about 2 feet long.
Fussy customer, so I said i could do an invisible mend without re-skiming. Alsohad coving. Anyway, turns up, carefully removes the skim, about an inch either side of crack so I can scrim and easifil, then the skim started to flake off. Within minutes, I'd got about 2m of skim popped off on floor.

Had to remove coving, over board, skim, cove. Was flat out at the time, didn't really want the morning job to fill it, but they were chuffed in the end.

Found out after they'd had a leak from the bathroom about ten years earlier and the ceiling was re-skimmed on the insurance!

Tiny rooms, and yes I'm removing a block work wall, so I'd need to tack a bit of board in , but they're cracking, have been painted about a hundred times, so just better to overboard.
Thing I've found with bathrooms a d kitchens, is the ceilings tend to get painted in silk, gloss over the years. Landlord gets hoppo in to lash b and q emulsion over everything, so might look sound, but a disaster waiting to happen.

Fussy customer, so I said i could do an invisible mend without re-skiming. Alsohad coving. Anyway, turns up, carefully removes the skim, about an inch either side of crack so I can scrim and easifil, then the skim started to flake off. Within minutes, I'd got about 2m of skim popped off on floor.

Had to remove coving, over board, skim, cove. Was flat out at the time, didn't really want the morning job to fill it, but they were chuffed in the end.

Found out after they'd had a leak from the bathroom about ten years earlier and the ceiling was re-skimmed on the insurance!

Just a tip mate fl

Tough one. Did you consider channeling the crack 5mm and filling?

Just a tip mate fl

Tough one. Did you consider channeling the crack 5mm and filling?

Yep, it was one if those little jobs, where I'd run a Stanley about an inch either side of crack, score skim and carefully remove back to board. Fire a few screws in, scrim, easifil and sand to perfection. Do the prep early in the day, then return on the way home to sand and collect the money. Little cash job. Anyway, skim just kept dropping off and couldn't get back to a sound section. Gave up, showed customer and told them that I wasn't trying to get more work out of them, but only solution was to either rip the lot down, or overboard.

What you reckon lads? 4 kitchen lids today block of flats no lift... over board?

Attachments

• 7A3940C8-375C-412E-9E17-4309A6A4082B.jpeg
    7A3940C8-375C-412E-9E17-4309A6A4082B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 288
  • 045BD538-334C-4C9A-AD58-00580FE3B50C.jpeg
    045BD538-334C-4C9A-AD58-00580FE3B50C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 296

I don't do much private work nowadays but I can't actually remember ever overboarding a ceiling. I've tacked enough new work to know how often the timbers run out and wouldn't want that grief when I can't see the bastards.