Best steps to repair this ceiling?

I am looking for the group's thoughts on the best course of action for this ceiling in my home.

View attachment 53206

View attachment 53207

It's a Edwardian terraced townhouse built circa 1915. The ceiling is in a bedroom with loft space above. I would've expected this ceiling to be lath and plaster, but feeling down through insulation between the joists above, it is solid board that I am feeling - so I am not sure if this is perhaps non-original?

I have started to have a few local plasterers in to look at how to repair it, and lots of different things are being proposed, but it generally seems to be boiling down to one of the following (in order of complexity and cost):
  • Option A: Just skim it - but this is likely to crack again
  • Option B: Push mesh sheeting over the ceiling and then skim it
  • Option C: Screw plasterboard over the top and then skim it and join it in at the coving
  • Option D: Pull it all down, re-insulate between the joists above, fit plasterboard, skim, and then fit a new reproduction Edwardian cornice
I have no idea what is the right thing to do so let me know your thoughts please! Option B is seeming like a good balance at the moment...
Kill it f**k before it comes down and gets you in the night.

As some have said if you can create an additional "step" to the coving it will look natural, i have done this in the past with timber bead but it can be a pain .

I am looking for the group's thoughts on the best course of action for this ceiling in my home.

View attachment 53206

View attachment 53207

It's a Edwardian terraced townhouse built circa 1915. The ceiling is in a bedroom with loft space above. I would've expected this ceiling to be lath and plaster, but feeling down through insulation between the joists above, it is solid board that I am feeling - so I am not sure if this is perhaps non-original?

I have started to have a few local plasterers in to look at how to repair it, and lots of different things are being proposed, but it generally seems to be boiling down to one of the following (in order of complexity and cost):
  • Option C: Screw plasterboard over the top and then skim it and join it in at the coving
  • Option D: Pull it all down, re-insulate between the joists above, fit plasterboard, skim, and then fit a new reproduction Edwardian cornice
I have no idea what is the right thing to do so let me know your thoughts please! Option B is seeming like a good balance at the moment...
If it's board then just run a Stanley around the edge a few times and rip it down leaving the coving intact. Then reboard and skim. Only issue is it will likely hairline crack around the outside of the room. To prevent this you can use a level or 25mm bit of timber etc to but up against coving to cut along to leave a small section of the existing board so you can scrim it.
That way you can insulate it, you know it's solid new boards and don't have the expense or hassle of new coving. 2 very leisurely days for one bloke to do the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I leave the Chrispy cam switched on?!
1599298563969.gif

View attachment 53206

View attachment 53207

Multi tool around coving line, rip. Down ceiling, reboard to. Coving line. Skim. Case closed