Best steps to repair this ceiling?

Members online

craigj

I am looking for the group's thoughts on the best course of action for this ceiling in my home.

ceiling 1.jpg

ceiling 2.jpg

It's a Edwardian terraced townhouse built circa 1915. The ceiling is in a bedroom with loft space above. I would've expected this ceiling to be lath and plaster, but feeling down through insulation between the joists above, it is solid board that I am feeling - so I am not sure if this is perhaps non-original?

I have started to have a few local plasterers in to look at how to repair it, and lots of different things are being proposed, but it generally seems to be boiling down to one of the following (in order of complexity and cost):
  • Option A: Just skim it - but this is likely to crack again
  • Option B: Push mesh sheeting over the ceiling and then skim it
  • Option C: Screw plasterboard over the top and then skim it and join it in at the coving
  • Option D: Pull it all down, re-insulate between the joists above, fit plasterboard, skim, and then fit a new reproduction Edwardian cornice
I have no idea what is the right thing to do so let me know your thoughts please! Option B is seeming like a good balance at the moment...

Last edited:
Only problem with the way jess has done it in my opinion if you even scrim the death out of that joint due to the amount of foot traffic on floor above your always gonna have a weak spot with potential for cracking :coffe: Maybe ok on a wall!

But if your board is level with your bonding and you still had lip,why didn't you just board the f**k*r to the coving? If you ran your trowel across your board to square off your putting same thickness on as your board if that makes sense?
It’s just dubbed out between coving and board so by eye you can’t notice and you retain the lip. If I’m reading you right?

Overboard and use boards edge beads to create another step which in turn gives the coving extra feature and depth! You’re welcome
But then you have a rough edge of the board. Can’t picture that looking good or finished? Not saying you’re wrong. Just can’t imagine it

I am looking for the group's thoughts on the best course of action for this ceiling in my home.

View attachment 53206

View attachment 53207

It's a Edwardian terraced townhouse built circa 1915. The ceiling is in a bedroom with loft space above. I would've expected this ceiling to be lath and plaster, but feeling down through insulation between the joists above, it is solid board that I am feeling - so I am not sure if this is perhaps non-original?

I have started to have a few local plasterers in to look at how to repair it, and lots of different things are being proposed, but it generally seems to be boiling down to one of the following (in order of complexity and cost):
  • Option A: Just skim it - but this is likely to crack again
  • Option B: Push mesh sheeting over the ceiling and then skim it
  • Option C: Screw plasterboard over the top and then skim it and join it in at the coving
  • Option D: Pull it all down, re-insulate between the joists above, fit plasterboard, skim, and then fit a new reproduction Edwardian cornice
I have no idea what is the right thing to do so let me know your thoughts please! Option B is seeming like a good balance at the moment...
Skim it

But if your board is level with your bonding and you still had lip,why didn't you just board the f**k*r to the coving? If you ran your trowel across your board to square off your putting same thickness on as your board if that makes sense?
She ran out of boards

Might look naked to eye now but when painted I bet you can see it diving up to the cove or if you really look ull be able to see it or you would of had plenty of room to board it through,but who cares,you got paid onto the nxt

Might look naked to eye now but when painted I bet you can see it diving up to the cove or if you really look ull be able to see it or you would of had plenty of room to board it through,but who cares,you got paid onto the nxt
I’ve never had a complaint doing it this way. 9.5 boards. I’ve seen it painted and been happy. But it’s good to hear other methods too (y)