Best bonding agent for reskim..

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankySouthport

Private Member
Sick to death of getting flash sets on reskimming ceilings!! I'm giving them 3 coats of pva near neat and I'm still having to double them up almost straight away!! Wtf is going on its only the ceilings as well, and I'm not talking big ceilings 1 today was about 6m2 and had to double it up straight away!!

can anyone confirm if these bonding agents kill the suction in one coat as I'm sick of this shi**

I can confirm that's not what bonding agents are for. If the suction is too high the bonding agent won't bond properly.

Why are you using the PVA 'near neat'? First coat should be watered down to seal, second coat full strength to act as bond.
Don't know why I just told you that as you're a spread, so would have already known this.

Why are you using the PVA 'near neat'? First coat should be watered down to seal, second coat full strength to act as bond.
Don't know why I just told you that as you're a spread, so would have already known this.

I started with a 50/50 pva water as usual 2 coats then spread when tacky, but these ceilings are just sucking the lift out of it so started using a stronger mix but its just not helping what so ever..

out of the 6 ceilings I've done 4 have flash set and 2 have hung for 4 fckin hours!
Each have had the same treatment..

notice it's only the ceilings btw Walls have been fine..

Never had a rates ceiling suck on me,and a lathe and plaster one I've always boarded, **** skimming over that **** :RpS_cursing:

I use wickes' own brand bonding agent mostly, slows the suction down (a bit) and never had any comebacks from any job Ive used it on.

I weak pva.then three to one pva.never had a problem apart from.distemper or unsealed paint peeling. Full strength pva sounds mad to me..

Last edited:
I weak pva.then three to one pva.never had a problem apart from.distember or unsealed paint peeling. Full strength pva sounds mad to me..

Yeah could be distemper.. It fits the bill ie old house lathe and plaster, only thing is I've never had a problem before and I imagine I've skimmed over it many times..

haha bet I will walk in there tomorrow and all the ceilings will be on the floor!!

All ceilings and walls were papered didn't think you could do this?

Sounds like its raw (unpainted) artex. As Kebab has already said, artex sealer is your friend here mate. I told him about it and wish I didn't because I can't get hold of the stuff now!

As Kebab has already said, artex sealer is your friend here mate. I told him about it and wish I didn't because I can't get hold of the stuff now!

Maybe not then..

Will have a proper look in the morning..

how do I tell if its distemper?

Some ceiling were painted white, some flaking which all the loose got scrapped of etc

isn't distemper a lime wash or something?

Sounds like its raw (unpainted) artex. As Kebab has already said, artex sealer is your friend here mate. I told him about it and wish I didn't because I can't get hold of the stuff now!

Its not artex as in there is no texture, will get some artex sealer though as its cheap enough

The best bonding agent is knauf/wickes bond it but I find the easiest stuff to buy in a big tub is plasprime really good stuff not to big aggregate and can skim on 3/4 hours 100 times better then messing about with pva I reckon

As Kebab has already said, artex sealer is your friend here mate. I told him about it and wish I didn't because I can't get hold of the stuff now!

Yeah kebab king mentioned it to me once.....

Once a feckin week for as long as he's known :-0

Status
Not open for further replies.