Bedroom Wall/Ceiling Chimney Damp

Members online

Are the pictures taken from the same position , facing the flashing you did?

Pic 3 on page 1 is form the same position as the latest flashing pic on this page (2) - one above the chimney pot pic.

In fact, these 2 (makes it easier):

Before:
IMG_20160621_201916_zpsn7hqjvad.jpg

After:
IMG_20161008_145525_zpstkvpcjge.jpg

Ive NEVER seen flashing going underneath the tiles, defeats the purpose really .
Also have you checked for missing tiles/damage further up your roof as what often happens is water enters the roof, runs down the rafter until it meets a purlin, cross member etc and THEN drips down

Pic 3 on page 1 is form the same position as the latest flashing pic on this page (2) - one above the chimney pot pic.

In fact, these 2 (makes it easier):

Before:
IMG_20160621_201916_zpsn7hqjvad.jpg

After:
IMG_20161008_145525_zpstkvpcjge.jpg
There are some signs you can't ignore- watermarks .You need to investigate deeeeep the other side, corner in particular , and the top/bottom side of the chimney . It's hard to tell from picture , but if the marks are levelled with the roof, that's where your problem is.

The bit of lead that goes under the slate/tiles are called soakers the flashing is the lead that goes in to the brickwork and down. The soakers are tucked under the flashing.

Ive NEVER seen flashing going underneath the tiles, defeats the purpose really .
Also have you checked for missing tiles/damage further up your roof as what often happens is water enters the roof, runs down the rafter until it meets a purlin, cross member etc and THEN drips down
The lead sits over one tile but under the overlapping tile so t doesn't go near any batten or anything. If you have seen lead flashing going over the tile completely then you have seen a lot of chimneys leaded incorrectly.

The lead sits over one tile but under the overlapping tile so t doesn't go near any batten or anything. If you have seen lead flashing going over the tile completely then you have seen a lot of chimneys leaded incorrectly.

Have a look at his pics, all the flashing is under the tiles, on top of the soakers

Have a look at his pics, all the flashing is under the tiles, on top of the soakers
It was a complete f**k up before but it looks correct now.
Think you and I are trying to explain the same thing but in a different way, if you know what I mean.
I've seen a lot of botched chimney flashing and soakers, seems to always be with concrete tiles too for some reason?

It was a complete f**k up before but it looks correct now.
Think you and I are trying to explain the same thing but in a different way, if you know what I mean.
I've seen a lot of botched chimney flashing and soakers, seems to always be with concrete tiles too for some reason?

But the way the flashing is now is like its a secondary soaker, pointless. Soakers main duty is to protect from wind driven rain etc, flashing is there to direct rain from chimney onto top of the tiles

Pull the chimney down and tile over. It's just a bloody hole in the roof if not in use!

Ok, the soakers are under tiles which seems to be correct.
The 2 pics above are before/after my re-work - soakers were on top of the tiles previously, not now. Flashing was sort of on top of tiles previous, isn't now.

I reckon they've had a problem in the past with the flashing and although was fixed, the soakers didn't look correct although might have been working.

I think the condensation build up in the void has caused the damp and hopefully it'll clear up now. Is also possible this wasn't causing the issue and it was maybe salts from the previous leak? Was an old woman in the house before me and she might have left it awhile before getting it sorted. I'll keep eye on it and plan to sand/cement where i pulled the plaster off and also replace the board in the ceiling. Hopefully when i skim it, it'll dry 100%!

I can't pull the chimney down, i've just fitted a pot/cowl!

Cheers, yes - I checked further up and ridge/tiles look ok. From chimney to ridge is only about 5 tiles (I do have some spare tiles too).
Didn't have time on Sunday but will get the hose up there (unless it rains first) and check the loft.

Ive NEVER seen flashing going underneath the tiles, defeats the purpose really

sorry - i mistakenly used the term 'flashing' to describe the whole set of lead and not just part of it.
to confirm with what i've got now, soakers are under the tiles and 75mm (or more) up the side of the chimney and is covered by the flashing (which don't touch the tiles). hard to see from the pic above that I've posted but I think they match what the bloke in the video was describing.
If I go up again (spending a lot of time up there these days), i can take a better picture. :)

or maybe i'll get a drone with a camera so i can fly it up there in the rain and see what's going on! yep, justified that purchase...

moist - it was only done sunday so needs bit more time. my tester says it isn't.
rough - yes, it is a bit. i'll smooth it down before i paper/paint it. i've done bigger areas much smoother, not sure what happened here really. think the sand/cement dried it out quick but i didn't want to wet it too much (before skimming) under the circumstances!!
:)

moist - it was only done sunday so needs bit more time. my tester says it isn't.
rough - yes, it is a bit. i'll smooth it down before i paper/paint it. i've done bigger areas much smoother, not sure what happened here really. think the sand/cement dried it out quick but i didn't want to wet it too much (before skimming) under the circumstances!!
:)

Your tester isn't worth the money you paid for it.
Those things are novelty. They only test moisture on the surface. They can't read into the depth of the wall. Like a trowel there not not a magic wand.

You can tell by looking at something if it's damp. If it doesn't look it your probably fine.

The damp companies that use those things treat them like there gods saviour.
Any gimp can go round prodding it in walls.

Not calling you a gimp mind, fair play for sorting it all out.
Leave it a good while before you paint it, don't paper it as you'll just trap any moisture still evaporating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO Sounds like it could be condensation. Which means increase ventilation and warm the area of wall by heating or insulating. At the moment it could be a cold bridge.