Beads

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

church

Just to let all know having major problems with EXPATMET skim beads at the mo , there seems to be a reaction with multi causing bad staining bleeding through the plaster and a build up of what look like hard lime-scale on the arris of bead ,as well as rust bleed , spoke to a decorator today and stain blocks are not working on the problem .These pictures are of new skimmed plastering over d&d work only 2 weeks old .

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 431
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
That's quite bad. See a lot of discolouring from these from the manufacturing release oil but nothing like that!

No mate , nailed on with galv clouts as per norm , its a new build site the places are pretty dry tbh ,the plaster was dry as in pic after 4-6 days had the staining before just put it down to the cutting oil in manufacture , but this is different , the hard white lime scale stuff ive never seen before .

There's rust and salts coming through which suggests moisture. Is it happening with all the beads?

looks wet to me. get the expatmet rep out, and show him why he is going to be paying for a reskim!

@church never really had the staining mate, but had the white fur that looks like efflorescence it came back about 3 times just kept wiping it off and it stopped coming after that. A good oil based undercoat should stop the staining bleeding through.

Last edited by a moderator:
@church never really had the staining mate, but had the white fur that looks like efflorescence it came back about 3 times just kept wiping it off and it stopped coming after that. A good oil based undercoat should stop the staining bleeding through.

this white stuff is hard to the touch , cant wipe it off as such , seems welded on

It looks like a reaction between the nail and bead , how do you clean your beads off? and lets not forget some beads are just cheap and nasty to use, Ive stopped buying from wicks .

must admit im thinking damp , but a new build ? Two week old plaster , new beads , plenty air flow , these houses are not damp or been rushed in build , ahhhhh bollox im off for a pint :RpS_wink:

It looks like a reaction between the nail and bead , how do you clean your beads off? and lets not forget some beads are just cheap and nasty to use, Ive stopped buying from wicks .

clean bead off henry ?

the strange thing about the staining its it looks to be coming thru the holes formed in the bead as only marked in intervals and not up the whole bead

Ive had the same problem on a full house I finished just after Christmas, its all dried out except where its beaded , they've painted it themselves but you can see the outline of the beads the brother in law is a painter and he has the same problem on his site to get over it theyre using an oil based undercoat

Must be some kind of contamination in the galv! Get on to supplier to come n have a look. N give him the bill for rectifying.

Oil based undercoat should do it or this
B-I-N®
which is quicker drying & does the job on dodgy beads bleeding through I've used it meself before great stuff not cheap though. Them spray stain blocks are w4nk.

Them beads still look wet though strange.

Last edited:
had a similar problem also it was a cutting oil used to stamp out the beads during the manufacture process a good wipe down with a rag (a big pain) done the job but surely they must clean these before sale!!!! stuy

this is what i say to sale guys who try to sell me beads for cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. are the beads better than catnics ? no is the answer but they are cheaper, and if i use these shite beads it will pocket me an extra 5 or 6 quid per job............. not worth the hasle. iv had customers get tubes of beads from b and q and they are frigging bent already...

Can u try a bead on another job. or stick on up in the garage and see if the same happens.Id go with Galavanising fault

I always buy from B&Q those expament ones - no problems so far - used both dot dab and nails. Ok what do you mean clean beads off ? You mean clean off arris of beads with wet brush after skimming ? :)
I clean arris of with a plastic scraper ive seen spreads clean down with there trowel which may tale the galv of the bead

I have had the same thing happen to me on a job with hook on beads. The job was boarded out and I just beaded and skimmed. Got a call from the builders about bleeding out so went to look.. Could not believe myself how badly they had bleed through so went to my local ridgeons where I purchased them with pictures to go through their supplier. Had a call from simpsons the supplier to my local ridgeons today who buy from jbs who make the hook on bead.. In the voicemail the rep left me he stated. He had spoken to an expert that believes the is no fault with any of the products " the beads, board and plaster" but this happens on occasion in the winter months due to the plaster drying out slower than normal. The Alkaline that's in the plaster has a chemical reaction and causes this staining. The advise was to use a alkali primer that should be painted on to the plaster in the areas around the beads. I personally am not sure whether what I have been told is a load of bull or not. The problem I still have if what I have been told is the case , How are meant to know when this could happen on what job and if we have to price for fixing this issue. I am pleased in a way that this has been posted up as I thought it maybe just me that has had this issue.

Attachments

• small (800x600).jpg
    small (800x600).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 287
I think we can all take a leaf out of @church book!................and go for a pint ! :RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
So is hook on beads have CE mark? The ones I use is expament is ok? Just hook on beads?
You can also try brushing some TVR on first Ryan if the beads are from Knauf then best paint a good slug of BMW on instead :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.