Beading velux window ?

Members online

Stanbra

Do you use stop beads all the way around ? I've got a job to do where velux has been put in so need to board reveals and patch in round the ceiling round windows...

Do you use stop beads all the way around ? I've got a job to do where velux has been put in so need to board reveals and patch in round the ceiling round windows...

I've done a few recently where the client wanted the wood surrounds removing and replaced with plaster.

I used stop beads, and skimmed reveals, but on the ceiing side, I carefully removed an inch or so of skim, bonded up to beads where necessary, scrimmed, then easifilled.
Perfect blend once sanded and painted.

I've done a few recently where the client wanted the wood surrounds removing and replaced with plaster.

I used stop beads, and skimmed reveals, but on the ceiing side, I carefully removed an inch or so of skim, bonded up to beads where necessary, scrimmed, then easifilled.
Perfect blend once sanded and painted.
customer doesn't want angle beads using as it will need skimming on ceiling side and look like its bulging out... But surely if I use stop beads I'll have to scrim on ceiling side up to stop bead and then skim/fether out ?

customer doesn't want angle beads using as it will need skimming on ceiling side and look like its bulging out... But surely if I use stop beads I'll have to scrim on ceiling side up to stop bead and then skim/fether out ?

The customer I did it for had already had a few done some years previously and whoever had done it had tried to blend in with skim. They looked s**t tbf.

Here's what I did.

Remove existing wood reveals and architraves.

Re-board with foil back.

Ceiling side, get Stanley and cut depth of skim about 2" back from reveal. Carefully cross hatch with Stanley and remove existing skim.

Cut and fit stop beads using a straight edge to flush up with existing ceiling skim level.

Nail and use a bit of grip fill on back.

Carefully bond any gaps ceiling side.

Skim reveals with multi/board etc.

Scrim 'trough' created by skim removal on ceiling side up to stop bead.

Skim over this with easifil and sand.

Sorry to be pedantic. Wish I had pics, but you would never tell that new reveals had been put in.

The customer I did it for had already had a few done some years previously and whoever had done it had tried to blend in with skim. They looked s**t tbf.

Here's what I did.

Remove existing wood reveals and architraves.

Re-board with foil back.

Ceiling side, get Stanley and cut depth of skim about 2" back from reveal. Carefully cross hatch with Stanley and remove existing skim.

Cut and fit stop beads using a straight edge to flush up with existing ceiling skim level.

Nail and use a bit of grip fill on back.

Carefully bond any gaps ceiling side.

Skim reveals with multi/board etc.

Scrim 'trough' created by skim removal on ceiling side up to stop bead.

Skim over this with easifil and sand.

Sorry to be pedantic. Wish I had pics, but you would never tell that new reveals had been put in.
Did you overlap scrim between old ceiling and bit you scraped out ?

Just carefully remove old skim on ceiling back down to the PB. Scrim goes in trough which overlaps the edge of reveal board and up to stop bead. Flat edge of stop bead is on reveal board. I used a bit of bonding first if there was any gaps between reveal board and ceiling board.

You don't want the scrim overlapping onto the existing ceiling skim. You're removing a bit of the skim to keep the scrim below the skim level so there's no bulge when you easifil.

IMG_20180927_002332.jpg

If its splayed use 135 degree beads rather than stop. More expensive but easier to keep straight

FOR blending in use a ox ultra flex or similar as you can make it seamless in a way a normal steel trowel can't .

I find the catnic can be inconsistent and mostly use thin coat skim beads. I’ve found the catnics can sometimes be out of square and a pain to fix.

Like daaa

Trim bead down length if needed

Attachments

• BDFFB4A1-F1D6-4421-885C-FCD302BDAF13.png
    BDFFB4A1-F1D6-4421-885C-FCD302BDAF13.png
    950.4 KB · Views: 1,407
  • 32B43516-E2EA-4062-8410-6F844745780A.png
    32B43516-E2EA-4062-8410-6F844745780A.png
    653.2 KB · Views: 904
I find the catnic can be inconsistent and mostly use thin coat skim beads. I’ve found the catnics can sometimes be out of square and a pain to fix.
Catnic thincoat beads are out of square because they're made to allow for a coat of Bonding before skimming. Drywall beads are square and allow for a thin coat of skim. Well about 3mm to be fair, which is less than a lot on the market.

Hate skimming velux windows, they look great when they are finished and are great in a room especially for light though
I always try to use stop beads but if use thincoat angles I fill them out first sometimes there’s at least 5mm plus to loose depending on the angle imo if you try to loose that in one hit they can look s**t and wavey
71714846-3EC6-4CD6-ACA2-BFA2AC60F0FF.jpeg