Bauwer lightweight insulating plaster on cob walls ?

Members online

Jensenmike

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have experience of using the above plaster on cob walls ? We have an old cob house which will need to be completely replastered internally and externally. Any advice on suitability/application, including the use of mesh, would be appreciated.

Your only option is lime putty I am afraid. And to be precise lime with hemp. Another alternative is clay , but not sure if you fancy your house done with clay

Your only option is lime putty I am afraid. And to be precise lime with hemp. Another alternative is clay , but not sure if you fancy your house done with clay
Bauwer makes big claims against his gear and knows his numbers so it would be interesting to see if his gear could be used, I would say yes no problem, reading everything he writes. I've not had a chance to use the gear but if the right property comes up I will put it to the test :)

Bauwer makes big claims against his gear and knows his numbers so it would be interesting to see if his gear could be used, I would say yes no problem, reading everything he writes. I've not had a chance to use the gear but if the right property comes up I will put it to the test :)
Its wicked gear with great potential , but I doubt you can use it over cob . The product just doesn't have th structure for it , well imho of course.And ... bauwer light can be used for so many other things, but not over cob. I hope Alex can prove me wrong.

Last edited:
That's correct, Bauwer highly breathable insulation for traditionally built homes is applied over solid substrate, eg solid stone or brick wall without a cavity.

If bauwer was to be used on a cob house how would prep that out of interest

Cob wall application would be outside of the method statement; even artwork on the bag is saying that Bauwer applied over solid substrate with a key coat.

Saying that I think it might be possible applying metal mesh and cover 100% of cob substrate with a key coat.

Well , here we are ,me disagreeing with Alex:loco:
No, you can’t do this with Bauwer Alex! When plastering cob you have to do all the way through, so the cob is in the middle like t bar and the plaster has to be highly flexible to allow the cob to move within the plaster, something bauwer light is not capable off.
What bauwer light is capable off is amazing- you can run your cornice mould, made decorative future for your render , can be shaped, cut, scraped etc better than any other render on the market, but cob...... nahhhh