Bauwer light

Members online

Internal on an old stone wall, spoke to the guys they were quite helpful.

It's only a small wall so thought it was worth a try to see what it's like to use.
It's like being a virgin again haha

Internal on an old stone wall, spoke to the guys they were quite helpful.

It's only a small wall so thought it was worth a try to see what it's like to use.
It's like being a virgin again haha
Looks like good s**t. You'll have to throw a little review on here.
They're about 20 mins from me so quite handy to collect.

Yeah for bauwer finish also. I'm intrigued to see what finish I can get on it.

I shall keep you updated though.

I got mine from p1ss delivered to the door so pretty handy. be cheaper if you needed more though as for this size wall only needed 8 bags of light

So the delivery arrived today ready to try it for the first time tomorrow.

Anyone else tried it yet?

The reviews we are getting are very good. Some say it takes getting used to but everyone is adapting or reacting to the product well

Good to have such good technical support and backup from Alexander as well - he knows the product very well

I'm using the stuff myself this weekend on a old stone wall!

The reviews we are getting are very good. Some say it takes getting used to but everyone is adapting or reacting to the product well

Good to have such good technical support and backup from Alexander as well - he knows the product very well

Yeah I'm intrigued to see how smooth I can get the finish for an internal wall.

Will keep everyone posted

I have 5 bags of light in Sheffield going cheap.

The finish is odd stuff. The first wall went ok but the second? It was like you put two coats on in one go. And the more you trowelled it the wetter it got.

So I lightly sponged it at midday and did something else. 4 pm it smoothed off a bit. I think it will get smoother in the morning.

At worst I will smooth it when hard with a carborundum stone. It is more like thin coat to use.

Used it for the first time over the past two weeks. Light backing is amazing, like plastering with marshmallow fluff. Finish goes on a lot smoother than I'd thought, it's like putting leveling compound on. Put it on with render mesh, two coat from same mix, put it on one day flatten and then finish with water next day, much better finish than I'm used to with lime putty mix. Blends well into multi too which was great as was doing bottom half bauwer and top multi. This stuff is the dogs nuts. People are really helpful, ordered midday, there next day 8am.

I have 5 bags of light in Sheffield going cheap.

The finish is odd stuff. The first wall went ok but the second? It was like you put two coats on in one go. And the more you trowelled it the wetter it got.

So I lightly sponged it at midday and did something else. 4 pm it smoothed off a bit. I think it will get smoother in the morning.

At worst I will smooth it when hard with a carborundum stone. It is more like thin coat to use.

To long for me mate rather use lime lite and have it finished within the hour.

How much is the finish a bag?

Well I think today was a success, the bauwer light mixed up nicely a full black bucket to a one bag.

It's very light to use I don't feel like I've done a proper graft. Can hardly feel it on the hawk and trowel.

Put it on with trowel then straight edged it - some areas were around 40mm depth - no slumping at all.

The only thing I messed up abit was I knocked it when it was done so was drying in areas - so refilled that area then went to straight edge it again and it pulled the area that was drying abit and ruined the nice straight edge look. (If you know what I mean) So lesson learnt on that one!

Apart from that a good morning with a good product, just got to let it dry then put the finish coat and mesh on.

If you can use multi then go for that. I would prefer Limelite finish being more lime based and made to be breathable.

Personally I wouldn't use Multi over Bauwer light.

I would worry about not only the bond between the two but the breathability.

I would advise a lime based breathable plaster. We are currently testing another finish to go over Bauwer and I will update on the results

Personally I wouldn't use Multi over Bauwer light.

I would worry about not only the bond between the two but the breathability.

I would advise a lime based breathable plaster. We are currently testing another finish to go over Bauwer and I will update on the results
The bond between the two is the primer? I did mention keying the background, also I don't think the breathability (nice word) would be an issue on modern construction?

The bond between the two is the primer? I did mention keying the background, also I don't think the breathability (nice word) would be an issue on modern construction?

On a modern building. I'd say u would have no problem skimming over the Bauwer Finish. But not over the Bauwer Light. So Bauwer Light then a coat of Bauwer Finish leave a good few days then skim. I wouldn't be afraid to do it if u where just using the Bauwer as a insulation. And didn't give a s**t about beadability.

What is the makeup of Bauwer Light is it a hydraulic cement based product or natural hydraulic lime? Seems to me like a lightweight renovating plaster

Why would you use Bauwer on a modern construction? The main purpose or area of key performance of the product is its breathability and insulating properties. Most modern buildings will be meeting the required thermal efficiency ratings.

For me, the market with this is on older properties requiring insulation. Stone cottages for example will need this but the system will need to be breathable.

Didn't answer the bond part lol!!!

With a key and a primer, it has all the reasons to work. But I have doubt in my mind in all honesty. I have spoken to a Bauwer and I don't think they are recommending Multi to go over the top after more research (I maybe wrong).

To long for me mate rather use lime lite and have it finished within the hour.

Bauwer is 2.8 times lighter vs Lime lite in density and 3 times thermally superior as well. It is similar in a way to mineral wool insulation and different from traditional plasters, renders.

For example: Bauwer's key coat is similar to mineral wool mechanical fixings, Bauwer Light is equivalent to mineral wool, Bauwer Finish with mesh in it similar to base coat applied over mineral wool.

Few things are critical during Bauwer application:

- apply key coat, about 80% of the substrate to be covered in a rough coat, photos in the method statement
- wet well the substrate 2-3 hours before Bauwer Light application
- apply mesh within 3mm of Bauwer Finish, both for external and internal applications

Please see photos of the key coat coverage in the up to date method statement:
http://bauwer.co.uk/templates/Default/images/BauwerLightMethodStatement.pdf

Bauwer is 2.8 times lighter vs Lime lite in density and 3 times thermally superior as well. It is similar in a way to mineral wool insulation and different from traditional plasters, renders.

For example: Bauwer's key coat is similar to mineral wool mechanical fixings, Bauwer Light is equivalent to mineral wool, Bauwer Finish with mesh in it similar to base coat applied over mineral wool.

Few things are critical during Bauwer application:

- apply key coat, about 80% of the substrate to be covered in a rough coat, photos in the method statement
- wet well the substrate 2-3 hours before Bauwer Light application
- apply mesh within 3mm of Bauwer Finish, both for external and internal applications

Please see photos of the key coat coverage in the up to date method statement:
http://bauwer.co.uk/templates/Default/images/BauwerLightMethodStatement.pdf

Is there any cement in the Bauwer light?

Thanks

Is there any cement in the Bauwer light?

Thanks

There is a small amount of cement in Bauwer Light which does not impairs Bauwer's high breathability or vapour permeability

Please see the video of a small block of Bauwer Light submerged in a water and being pressurised by a small aquarium compressor:

As you could see the vapour is easily passing through Bauwer Light, which makes it an insulation of choice for traditionally built, breathable properties with single skin stone or brick wall.

In contrast, sand and cement is not breathable, impermeable and should be avoided in traditionally built homes. More on this at:

http://greenbuilding.co.uk/insulating-masonry-walls-of-old-stone-cottages-and-listed-buildings

Ha ha make sure you don't get those shoes dirty ryan!!
Are you using a machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha make sure you don't get those shoes dirty ryan!!
Are you using a machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rob, Ill make sure I take some polish for them as well! Yes, I'm using a machine and yes I do like to actually use the products I sell - good way of learning about them more ;-)