Bathroom ceiling help

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tia4

Need some help and advise please got a painted lath and plaster ceiling in a bathroom which has a few crackes in it but otherwise is sound can I just skim over the top of this and what should I do to prep it

Ive done a few over skimmed but applied render mesh in first coat and they were fine. Ideal if money is tight

Its common sense to offer an alternative option in old properties ive been meshing on reskims last year or so as it works. Overboarding not always possible especially if theres a cornice up etc

I use the render mesh all the time in refurbs. It's great. Can't be arsed over boarding sometimes, or time or price is a factor. If it's just hairline cracks and not spongey marshys method is bang on

Thanks mate i appreciate that. its not cutting corners its an alternative method thats all !??

Over boarding although solves most issues isn't the perfect solution.
Sometimes joists are the cause.
If there is to much movement either from the floor above being used/walking directly on loft timbers or even heavy objects can create a movement in timber that is stronger than a bit of gypsum and scrim tape.
I took down and re boarded all ceilings in my house and I have one timber that has done this. I always overkill with screws on joins so it all depends on what is causing it.
Mostly it is old ceilings that dropped a little but not always.

Board and skim people don't always want to pay for just slap scrim over cracks ,pva and skim it ....

Status
Not open for further replies.